Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Recently got a Anova Nano and wanted to start with something easy, decided to do eggs for 12min @ 167.

Question though, am I supposed to wait until the water gets to temperature first, or drop the food in and let the Anova get to the desired temperature?

Also, I don't see an off button, just unplugging the thing is of the off button I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do most of you guys have a vacuum sealer, or just using a ziplock bag and the water to push out the air?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

halokiller posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands though Anova is probably the most well-known. Some are a bit more powerful than others, but all that means it just gets to the ideal temp a little faster.

Tip: Boil some water and start off with that, then add in the required water. A lot less time for the little heater to bring everything to temperature.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Relentless posted:

Black garlic is amazing but dear god does it stink.

I love the smell of black garlic.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I'm vacuuming something, do I season the meat prior to it going into the freezer? Or after it's been cooked and I hit the pan?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I’m taking something out of the freezer, do I need to defrost it first or am I going to just throw it into the room temperature water and let the sous vide get the temperature?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does it matter when I season my steaks before or after the bath? I typically do salt, pepper and garlic powder and freezer the suckers until I'm ready. Or is it better to bathe them naked, then season before I hit the cast iron?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please do not eat steak straight out of the sous vide without searing it. You will be very disappointed. If it's an apartment thing without ventilation, open a window on one side of your kitchen and then use like 1-2 fans outside of the kitchen to create a wall of air to blow everything out towards that window. Like one fan pointed high and one low. I've done this multiple times because we did not have a vent and it's worked pretty well. Although, it's a total pain in the rear end and small droplets of grease goes everywhere. It was easier for me never to make a steak at home and only get a steak when eating out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hey so is the extra hundred bucks worth it for the Anova Precision Cooker Nano vs the Precision Cooker. Plan to buy one in the next month or so

The nano takes longer to heat up and uses bluetooth. The precision heats up faster and uses wi-fi. 750w vs 1000w. I have a Nano and it works fine, my phone is playing music/connected to the nano while I do other things in the kitchen.

On the website using the code HOLIDAYPREGAME, its $80 for the nano and $128 for the regular one. So a $50 difference. Maybe the wi-fi is cool if you're starting up the heating when you're not home? Not too sure if that is a feature though, maybe someone who has one can chime in.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 28, 2023