Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

WhiteHowler posted:

I've never had a problem with bags leaking on short (under 6 hour) cooks, but I'm 0-for-2 on multi-day attempts. Each time I checked the morning after I started, and the top of the bag was no longer completely sealed.

I think the motion of the water from the Sansaire's circulator is slowly working them open over time, as both times I was very careful to make sure they were sealed up well. These were the nice, thick Ziploc brand freezer bags.

I guess I'll get one of those fancy Foodsavers from Costco before I try Thanksgiving dinner (we're doing duck breast this year because gently caress tradition).
I've done multi-day cooks in Foodsavers and it worked out - I'd recommend double-bagging, though. Ziplocs I wouldn't recommend it but Steve Yun's advice is pretty neat.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I've only been able to find beef cheeks at a special gourmet foods shop in Boston, and honestly they were kinda... pungent. Not rotten pungent but they had this really strong meaty smell and they didn't turn out very well when I cooked them.

Pork cheeks fared much better but it was my first time and they were tougher than I wanted.
If you're talking about Savenor's, that's where I get my beef cheeks and they've always been a huge hit, even with people who aren't super into food. Did you get them trimmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If I recall it started getting called a puddler around here because that was the shortened verb form of "tepid puddle", which was a jokey way to say water bath.

The framing of the water bath as a tepid puddle is funny, and way back before the kickstarter explosion and before the SVS it was a way to be self-deprecating about using a technique that most people didn't have a simple way of accessing (the choices were the $600 Poly Pro and fiddling with PIDs and crock pots).

I don't think the intent was to be pretentious - I think it was to take an at the time fairly intimidating form of cooking down a notch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 12, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Water bath and slow-poach are the most neutral ways I know of.

I'm still not sure how the shorthand for "a tepid puddle of water" became the pretentious one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

e: if someone has to explain to you why "puddling" sounds stupid you probably have other annoying affectations

it's not even all that obscure of a technique anymore considering they do today show segments with it and how enormously successful every sub-$200 cooker that's been released in the past year is. I know people whose definition of cooking is finishing a box of hamburger helper who got anovas for christmas. everyone I know says either sous-viding or water bath, even if they don't know what sous vide literally means or that it's even a french term. 'puddling' is as dumb as unironically calling your SO "waifu"
There's less of a reason to go with the word "puddling" now, except for historical reasons, and a sad tepid puddle of water I keep in my kitchen and put meat in is funny, to me. I don't think anyone would invent the term again given how common and approachable sous vide is, and I only use it on the forums. I like having special forum terms.

IRL, I avoid using the term sous-vide because I'm sick of explaining what it means in English - the answer is so uninteresting that most people forget the answer and end up asking me again the next time it comes up. It's not even really accurate given the way eggs are done and given that zip-locks are so commonly used.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I honestly super dislike bag juice sauces and almost always either make a separate sauce in a bag or just make a random sauce while things are sous-vide-ing.
Totally with you. I've tried probably a dozen times and it's total poo poo every time. I'd feel embarrassed serving it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

Modernist says that this is actually a better method. I don't have access to the book at the moment--but with sous vide it is better to go straight from frozen to the water bath. Some of the reasons seemed relatively spurious but whatever.
The best reason - and the main reason some restaurant critics objected to the texture of sous vide meats/fish for a while - is that the suction in vacuum sealers often compress and break the fibers in raw proteins (especially fish). When the protein's frozen, no such worries.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have to recommend a slow-roast for leg of lamb. The meat's so forgiving that you don't gain much from vizzle perfect temps and you get more crispies on the outside when you sear after it gets all dry in the oven for hours and hours. If I had to show a non-cook one easy meat preparation that would make normal people very, very happy, it'd be this one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I don't agree with that. The beauty of s.v. with these sorts of cuts is that you can cook them medium rare but still get the same succulence and taste as you would if you did a braise or slow-roast - as it just takes longer to get the collagen to break down. It's about what you're going for in the end.

It's the same principle as to why short ribs done s.v. are the most superior.
The principle with short ribs is that it's very chewy unless heated to 180 by normal cooking methods.

Texture isn't a problem for leg of lamb at any temp, especially not at the 140 degrees it tastes best at (IMO). Even Modernist Cuisine doesn't advocate holding it for longer than it takes to warm the meat, so I'm not sure what problem you're addressing here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 25, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I can't seem to find the MC section you're referring to. Would you mind posting it?

My point wasn't that you're necessarily addressing a problem, but again, what you're looking for. I disagreed that you don't gain much from s.v. I actually agree that slow roasting is a good technique for leg of lamb and I do enjoy the texture of it. If you want even succulence and that 'feels as soft as raw but tastes and comes apart like its cooked' kind of experience, I think it's pretty unique to the s.v. method. This was the principle for short ribs I was referring to, not the problem which prompted it.

I'm actually not sure how crispy the outside of your roast is if you're only bringing the middle to 140F using a slow roast. For me to do that, I usually have to do a very fast roast at extremely high oven temperatures. Personally, when I really want a very crispy outside but a very tender meat, I remove from s.v. let the inside cool, then grill/broil as hot as possible while monitoring the internal temp.
You rest it then give it a sear afterwards, just like your sv method, but there's far less moisture because it's had dry heat applied to it for hours...

MC page attached - cook lamb to core, as it's a tender meat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

Thanks, I was looking for a specific leg of lamb page. So you also disagree that any of those tender meats gain much (or has a different texture/taste/experience) when cooked sous vide vs. in the oven?
No, I think there's a good reason to cook most of them sous vide. Leg of lamb is a meat that I think tastes pretty great within a very wide spectrum of temps, which is why I think of it as a forgiving cut. It's a special case which maybe I should have been more clear about.

Lamb loin, for example, is much better mid-rare than medium (IMO) and is one of the poster children for sous-vide, as the gain in precision is worth the trade-off of a less dramatic sear. Something like hanger steak makes a lot of sense as well, because it's such an awkwardly shaped cut.

(As an aside, Cesar Ramirez of the michelin 3-star Brooklyn Fare didn't see the point of sous vide when slow-roasting gives similar results - he was cooking duck breast at the time, and probably being overdramatic)

Phanatic posted:

What does it mean to cook to a "hotter-than-core" temperature?
I'm going to assume it's a typo (MC has quite a few) and it means to set your liquid hotter than the core temp so the meat heats up more quickly - bumping up the water temp a few degrees makes it much faster to reach a specified core temp.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 27, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Juice Box Hero posted:

I bought a big-rear end flatiron steak I'd like to use for fajitas if nobody here has a better suggestion.

I'm just going to assume kenji's 10 h recipe is the best, but I wanted to ask for ideas, so here I am.

I guess I would have expected to cook this steak for longer, and I don't really understand why I should not. Keep it from flaking away, or is there something else?

I also don't understand why not to cook fresh herbs or garlic for long periods. Somebody set me straight please.
What's Kenji's 10 hour steak recipe?

Flat iron is a tender cut. There's no reason to vizzle it for more than an hour.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Isn't dry brining just what you call it when you put salt on it a day before cooking? Shouldn't cause issues unless you use way too much salt.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.
Depends on your temperature. You can cook all sorts of ways including at low temperatures for 3 days+ to make it still firm enough to sear. I've done this with beef cheek and it's pretty amazin. Choosing the temperature+time you want to cook the brisket at is an important decision so you might want to research what you want the output to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's pure meat juice so it has a different flavor from normal stock (which contains a lot of onions/carrot/celery). Maybe the ideal usage would be adding it to a double stock with extra vegetables, I don't really like it on its own though the shallot and red wine thing sounds like a good use for it.