Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I read somewhere that the butter poached method doesn't work as well if you do butter-in-bag and then in a sous vide because the butter doesn't get to circulate around the lobster meat. Thomas Keller used to do the bagged method but apparently switched to the bath method after some issues with New York's health inspectors. He has an entire container-full of beurre monte kept at 59.5C (139.1F) for his lobster tail meats now. Recommends 15 minutes at this temperature but can go 10 minutes longer if you are busy doing other parts of the dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

SubG posted:

I don't know the details, but I can't imagine it being an issue. Butter will pasteurise just as readily in a bag as in a pot. Are you sure the issue wasn't the result of using butter as the sous vide medium?

It was at Per Se that the inspectors went "OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" because sous vide was a new technique in commercial kitchens at the time. They basically freaked out that the chefs were incubating seafood in a water bath. Maybe they changed their tone now. If you have the chance to tour The French Laundry Kitchen and they are having lobster on the menu, they'll show you the bucketful of melted butter with metal racks that they lower the lobster in.

I agreed with SubG that this is easier conventionally. I did it in a regular pot for my butter poached lobster since it was only a 15 minute soak. No point going through the motions for that short amount of time. It was freaking delicious.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Mikey Purp posted:

For those of you who own Keller's Under Pressure, is this the kind of book that would be helpful to the home cook who owns an Anova and wants to use his puddle machine for mostly simple weekday preparations, or would it be cozying up on my bookshelf next to the Alinea cookbooks? If so, any other recommendations?

I've only made 1 complete dish out of the book. It took me the whole weekend and in the end, it didn't feel like a good investment of my time. I just thumb through the book for flavor, time and temperature ideas. Good explanations of why certain things are done a specific way.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

BrosephofArimathea posted:

you will definitely end up taking some of the components and using them in other dishes.

Either way, make the carrot cake. at least once. It's delicious, and impressive as hell.

I use his butter poached lobster technique the most. Thanks for the carrot cake tip.

Maybe there should be a site where regular cooks try out his recipe and rate it based on doability. :effort:

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Safety Dance posted:

Only if it's quick. I'm terrible at planning ahead.

Get a suitably sized stainless steel bowl, fill it 1/3 with water. Put in freezer. When you need it, take it out, and fill it out with water. The ice will melt a little and float and thus, ice cold water. Of course, you'll be needing some excess freezer space.