Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Got the whole sous vide thing for christmas. Made some eggs and tried a ribeye but wasn't happy with that. So far this is the best thing I've made. Hoping to join the hot water cooking team if I really enjoy using this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dem Bones posted:

RIP Anova WiFi ice bath notifications: http://community.anovaculinary.com/t/ice-bath-option-in-wifi-app/4058

Honestly the WiFi app was way better before they started adding recipes to it and making it into trash like the original app.

Dude the app is terrible. It just aggravates me that I can't just start the god drat timer on it's own. Why do I have to wait for it to recognize the temp and for it to prompt me. So I can just click okay for the timer to start. I swear the water will be sitting at temp for 2-3 min and I'll get nothing. So I have to kill the cook process. Start it again. It's just loving dumb.

Oh and when the alarm goes off I can't just dismiss it. I have to walk to the drat thing and hit the STOP COOKING button. Then I have to hit the cook button again so it stays at temp. Or I'm just dumb.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 5, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dem Bones posted:

Multitasking with some beef shoulder in for 48 hours and beef short ribs in for 72, all at 135. Would have gone for 131 but the girl doesn't like things as rare as I do.

Curious to know how the Short Ribs turn out. I saved some ribs from a Ribeye roast that I cut and I don't know what to do with them. Suggestions welcome.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Throw them in a smoker.

Don't have a smoker I suppose I could do the whole fake smoker grill thing with my propane grill.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

unl33t posted:

I'm getting pretty frustrated using the Anova app, is there any way to set the timer just using the base unit?

2nd this. The app is garbage.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So if I wanted to eat a (food) and just got home do I have enough time to cook (food) and sides. When should I start the side given the time I have left. It's just for time management for the most part.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

You don't, because you can't overcook (food) and just work on your sides until they are ready and you finish (food) with a sear?

Unless you're really terrible at planning and you put in (food) earlier/longer than it should, but a timer isn't going to fix that.

I'm not worried about over cooking things. It's more about making sure that I fully cook them. I generally get home only 1-2 hours before the wife and if I want to make sure that everything is cooked and on a plate within a thin time frame I want to make sure it's fully cooked and the timer can help me manage this
'oh i've got 20 min left for this to finish. I should start the mashed potatoes so they will be done & hot after I sear/grill those steaks.'

Cooking something bigger tenderloin/roast or what ever I'm less worried about the timing as I'm going to be starting it early in the morning or day before hand and can just pull it out when I'm ready for it.

Does that help explain?

Subjunctive posted:

That sounds like a neat app, but how would it work if you were starting it from the unit?

I don't understand. There isn't an app. It's just something I'm keep of track mentally and by timing the cook time of my protein can gauge when I need to start other things so all the side and everything is done at the same time for plating.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I was asking about the timer that OP wanted to use through the device rather than the app. I assumed you were also talking about the app/device timer.

Oh, yeah on the device there is a timer. The Anovo wants you to find recipes via their app. Then click 'cook recipe.' This sets your time and temp. Once it reaches temp it ask you to add your food and click okay. Once you do that the timer start. We just want to set the time wait for it to get there and then set the timer on the device. Which apparently you can do if you hold down the timer button.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

And the timer on the device is just a normal timer, like on a microwave or a phone or whatever? Or does the device react in some way when the timer expires?

Nope nothing special. Once you click okay on the phone app the timer will start counting down. Then when time is up your drat thing will beep at you relentlessly till you address it. Nothing special. Temp doesn't change.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
How would I do something like this. I assume I cook the meat in the sous vide 1st then follow the scoring and cooking the skin side as a final step after cooking. Will the skin/meat hold together for that though? Also curious as to the paste should I put that on before I bag the meat so it marinates while cooking? Other suggestions for pork shoulder welcome because it's on sale at the super market. Ihave no smoker :(
https://food52.com/recipes/3909-matilda-maple-and-garlic-pork-shoulder-with-crispy-skin

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

lavaca posted:

On the other hand, I would not recommend trying the duck skin crumble unless you actually have liquid nitrogen.

Could you do this with something like Dry Ice. Including adding some small chunks of dry ice into the food processor to prevent it from thawing out. I realize this wouldn't be an instant freeze but would probably still be close enough...maybe?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Because we are all talking about Creme Brûlée. I was curious if you guys could help me. The recipe that I got from the sous vide book this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X9C26NJJHZ6AH8XGP2GV

causes my custard to be 'runny.' It's more like a pudding and I'm expecting something that holds its shape better. So for instance when I use a spoon I expect the spoon to cut into the custard and for it to retain it's shape and the walls of the custard to not slowly fill the evacuated space. That being said what can cause it to be more fluid or more 'solid'

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I don't know that recipe but try 80 Celsius for at least an hour and make sure the number of egg yolks is correct, I tried several recipes and if the ratio of egg yolks to other ingredients is off it becomes runny in my experience.
Here is the short hand for the recipe.

83C @1hr
6 yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of kosher salt
In a bowl whisk egg yolk, sugar & salt until smooth and then whisk in the cream and add vanilla.

Cook for 1 hour. Remove bag when done & shake to redistribute. Evenly divide among 4oz ramekins. Tap each against the counter to smooth out and remove air bubbles. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Do the sugar & fire part.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Wasn't someone trying to recreate this ?
Starbucks eggs.
https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
How much time do you add when cooking from frozen for chicken breast? 30min another hour?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Looking for suggestions on a shorthand type bbq. Picked up a Pork But. figured I could sous vide it then make shift smoke it on my gas grill with some wood chips. Anyone done this or have suggestions. Was told by a guy at work that you can't impart smoke into a meat after it was cooked > 140. Don't know if this is a pit master myth or something. Any help on temps/time/techniques would be helpful.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can't get a smoke ring after it's reached a certain temp, but in my experience it will take the smoke just fine. Kenji's method works fine, but:

•If you use his rub, use volume not weight measurements, and cut the salt in half
•Don't apply as much as he says.
•Cook it for the minimum time specified, or on the lower end at least

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

Thanks for the head up. I'll let you guys know in something like 24hours how this came out.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So the sous vide pork came out good. This was my first time smoking and it was on a gas grill. Could of had more smoke flavor but the pork was fine. It was super juicy too. As for salt I cut it from 3 Tbs to 2. Sorry for the images being out of order.
gallery http://imgur.com/a/W6u9T

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

I'm planning to do a dinner for a group of maybe 10 or so people and I'm going to be occupied most of the day. I will however have time the night before and that morning so I was thinking I might do something sous vide that takes 12-24 hours in the puddle.

I just did the 5lbs porkbutt Kenji has a recipe for. It'd feed that many people. It however takes like an hour in the oven after the puddle cook time. As mentioned I cut the salt to 2 tbs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I've been using a bunch of Ziplock backs because I've been puddling a bunch. Is it worth it to invest in vacuum sealer? Suggestions on good price/performance ones? What features or things should I look for in a sealer? Can they do things like a 5-6lbs porkbut like I do in a gallon size bag? Thanks in advance.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Add it to the bag to make sure you get your daily iron intake.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Procured one set of shad roe:

I"m fascinated by this. Roe are eggs right. So is this a pouch of eggs that you cook as one piece. When you cut into it do the eggs not flow out of the pocket. I figured texture would be more like tapioca.. I seriously thought that was liver :psyduck:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

How long can you hold 63C eggs? I will have people showing up to eat on Easter over a 5 hour window, and I just don't know if I can keep eggs for that long and still be nice...

You can pre cook them then cool em down and store in the fridge. Just pull them out of the fridge as soon as people arrive and plop them into an already pre heated bath. I think the re-heat time is 20min. That's enough time to say your hellos and get them a mimosa. Then you have your eggs ready.

I've cooked my eggs and heated them like this so I didn't have to do so much waiting when I was making Eggs Benni the next morning. They turn out fine.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

For $6 I can get a 2lb chuck roast on sale, run it for 24 hours at 139 and get about 20oz of basically prime rib out the other side. Its fatty as gently caress, so you need to do some trimming when it comes out, but its a hell of a turnaround.

I was going to say chuck as well. It's stupid cheap and comes out alright.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Question: Can I puddle this brisket I purchased in the sealed plastic that it came in from the 'factory/butcher.' It seems thick enough but, I'm kinda worried about it either breaking down after 12 hours or possibly effecting the taste by leaking in some plasticky flavor. I suppose I could cut it down into a couple of gallon size bags. Last resort would be to purchase a vacuum. Thoughts, suggestions?

Additionally, if I cook it in the bag it came from I won't be able to spice it. How big of an issue do you think this is if I plan on smoking for ~2-3 hours anyway. What kind of rub do people use for brisket? Would it be something similar to Kenji's smoked pulled pork recipe? If it isn't obvious I'm super green to this whole bbq thing. Thanks in advance guys,

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 20, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does your meat come with the diaper sealed in?

I don't think the brisket has that diaper pad thing in it. I know some thing like hamburger, hams, steaks do.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just purchased 25q Party Stacker Colamn cooler and other poo poo to use. Going to make one of these. I've really enjoyed SV pork for large groups and up next is a brisket so I need something bigger and more insulated for longer cook times.

Here are other people images.

Parts list for the blue cooler build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZJ3TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098PNZLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2ILXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G5LP2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Anyone have suggestions on a rub to do brisket with. I'm new to the whole bbq thing and I'm not sure what to do. Was planning on doing Mesquite smoke if that matters.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

5436 posted:

I'm sous viding bbq ribs this weekend. Should I do baby back or spare or both? I like the way this pit does spare near my old place but I haven't had baby back in a while. What do people prefer?

If you're just looking for opinions I prefer Baby back. I don't like the extra fatty ends and bones that you get with spare ribs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

How are we defining banh mi here?

I kid I kid.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Pic's to come tomorrow some time. Got the brisket in the puddle for 36hrs fellas. I'll let you know how this turns out. Suggestions on smoke times? Was thinking 3 hours @300. Also how much liquid smoke if any do you guys use in your bags? 1 Tablespoon?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

If I'm going to actually smoke, none.
Smoke it at 250 til it looks as delicious as you want. The lower you smoke it the less risk of it drying out.

So with the 2 porkbutt that I did. The smoke didn't get picked up enough/all. From what I've read once you have cooked the meat smoke doesn't penetrate it. Thus why we are trying liquid smoke while SV'ing and then going to smoke out on the grill. Thanks for the temp advice though. I'll drop it down a bit. I have good luck ~@270 with the pork.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

The one on the left was left in about a minute longer and it shows.

Wonder if that egg was stuck next to the heating element for the full cook time. I've never had that level of difference. Then again I do the 63c eggs for 1hr when I make eggs benny. Still looks awesome!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
As promised here is my brisket. I think I added to much rub (salt & pepper, could have done with less pepper IMO). Overall it came out texture wise pretty good. Mother in law thought it was amazing and that I should open my own restaurant lol. Everyone else like it a lot though. Then again it's hard to get good feedback from people who you are directly associated with and I'm my own worst critic. I've got a lot more to learn about cooking this I think as far as how much fat to keep when I cut it. I'd prefer soemthing not so much salt/pepper based rub too. But, this comes with experience.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 30, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

kirtar posted:

Might have been good to separate the point and flat so you wouldn't have different grains.

Is this something that people do? I just assumed most people at least in the smoking world smoked the whole brisket. Honestly I didn't even know there were 2 different muscle groups when I started. Speaking to my smoker friend at work I assumed he cooked the whole thing then served according to peoples preference. It seems silly to me to cook the same meat as far as cook times go in 2 different sessions. Unless I was looking to make just pastrami I don't see what the point would be. Please educate me though. This is/was literally my first time cooking this cut of meat.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

5436 posted:

Yea I figured but the contrast is stark. The guides all act like its nearly the same thing. I don't think it's close. The ribs aren't bad by any means but it's not the same as BBQ. I think it worked well for pulled pork since theres very little surface area compared to the amount of meat. I think I'll stick to fish/pork/beef instead of trying to recreate bbq.

What guide are you referring to? I've been doing the sous vide bbq thing for a couple of things so far and all of the guides tell you to smoke them. I mean you are reducing the smoke time required by cooking them in the puddle but, you need to finish them in the over/smoker to get the outside the texture of bbq. I'm genuinely curious about what exactly you did.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

So I did the Serious Eats Sous Vide Bacon pre-cook (145 for 8 hrs minimum and then just crisp on one side. Thick cuts work best...)

Was it good bacon? You betcha.

Was it worth the hassle? Nah.

To be honest, if you get a good cut of thick bacon, and oven cook it (400 in mine) and just keep an eye on it, you can get PERFECT bacon. That nice crisp crunch, a little bit of juiciness, and that sensation when it kind of dissolves on your tongue.

Not really worth the effort in my opinion. Glad I tried and found out, though.

=================
[edit]

This Salmon Mi-Cuit... I am intrigued.

What consistency is the salmon when eaten? I LOVE sushi (raw salmon) and am not really a fan of cooked Salmon. (usually, unless done up in some really special way.)

What's it like eating this? What does it taste like? Feel like?

Also, how would you incorporate this into a dinner? Sauce? Laid over something?

I want to maybe do it for my next dinner party...

Here is the video from chefs steps it pretty much looks raw though. - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Spair ribs on sale at the local grocery for 5$. Figured it's worth the experiment in BBQ with SV that I've been doing. Any suggestions before I just dive head on to this.

Rubs, Mops, etc?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

the yeti posted:

I find myself disliking the new Anova's controls so much that I basically use it app-only anyway :shrug: Might be the only one but that might be something to consider

I've become very frustrated with how they dumed down the app. Before the latest updated (1 month ago?) You could select a temp and set a timer and go. Now you basically have to select a recipe then when its done it beeps incessantly and you can just let it set at the current temp. Idk maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

That doesn't work anymore? Aw poo poo.

I lied. I was drunk when I was trying to do it and drunk when I posted that. So sorry if I freaked you out. Although I still hate how it beeps and beeps and beeps when it's done. Maybe I'm not ready for you to stop. Just hold temp please!