Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs

That was alright, as far as an epilogue to the series goes. Kind-of a shame that that they had to bring Kouta back, and have him just kinda dominate the enemy. I'm not sure if this was intended, but I got the impression that Kouta could have smashed that Armored Rider spirit thing into the pavement without ever transforming, let alone with Micchy's help.

Also, yeah, that sequence with Jonouchi was kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last week was the ending, this is just...I don't even know what it is. I know what it tries to be, but I'm not sure what it ends up being.

The entire episode seems to want to fail at what it wants to show. Jonouchi is going to become the new Kurokage in Hase's memory!...but it's pointless, because he gets beaten up and manages absolutely nothing other than wrecking the second-to-last remaining Driver. Micchy's going to become a hero to atone!...but it's pointless, and Kouta has to come save him, thus making the future of the city uncertain were another threat to come.

Just...what were they trying to show? It seemed to just be "we have three characters that really want to atone, but one's going to get his attempt at atoning hijacked, the second will fail entirely on making a difference, and the third will need our hero back, but clearly we've shown how much they want to atone!"

Kougane is an incredibly underwhelming enemy too. His greatest accomplishment was hijacking an unarmed girl's body, beating the weakest Rider in the show, and then having to use said girl as a hostage to manage anything. I don't blame him for being beaten by God Kouta, but...that could've been better, is all I'm saying.

Good parts of this episode: Jonouchi finally learning about Hase's fate. Peko showing that there's at least one person in Zawame that isn't willing to forgive Micchy for betraying everyone and loving everything up. Kouta doing his...fourth or so Rider Kick in the entire series.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Overall out of all the seasons of 30-minute children's toy commercials, I really liked this season and is probably my newest favorite season next to Kuuga and V3.

Really looking forward to this next set of commercials and their karate punching.

e: Also will be interesting to see if they abandon the two-episode-per-arc format again.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Last week was the ending, this is just...I don't even know what it is. I know what it tries to be, but I'm not sure what it ends up being.

This week on Kamen Rider Gaim: YOU SAW OUR MOVIE, RIGHT??

Seriously, it feels like even the writers saw how absolutely stupid this episode was. "It's me! It's me! Remember me??" "What? No. What?" "Oh right."

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 28, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Don't forget, Urobuchi didn't write this episode, just like all of the crossover and movie tie in episodes for the series.

As far as I'm concerned, last week's episode was the ending and this mess didn't happen. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked it. Lots of very good scenes, but I agree that the writing overall was weak. I just don't care, I guess. It really delivered as a parting farewell.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Peko showing that there's at least one person in Zawame that isn't willing to forgive Micchy for betraying everyone and loving everything up.

Considering what Miccy did to Peko specifically, it makes a lot of sense.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
At least Jounouchi never gave up, even if the writers did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dordreff posted:

At least Jounouchi never gave up, even if the writers did.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That final episode was okay, I guess. Last week's epilogue was much more satisfying and this just felt unnecessary. I'm not sure why they gave Hase's belt to Jounouchi and then... he got owned hard. He didn't put up an ounce of fight. Bizarre writing, though it's obvious Urobuchi didn't write this one with how wildly inconsistent it was. I'm really looking forward to Kamen Rider Drive next week. It has lots of potential! It's weird how this last episode decided not to sneak in a Drive cameo too. That would've been much cooler than God Kouta showing up to save the day.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 29, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kouta had to show up and help save the day its his series you big babies.

Also Jounouchi's whole thing was being scared to fight. he finally stood up and put his fear and doubts behind him. He was never supposed to do anything more. The real point of this ep was Michy's redemption. He's even officially the "second" rider for future stuff which is pretty cool.

Cool ending overall, nothing mind blowing but the fact that all the characters are cool and we care about them makes it mean much more. The only thing I don't get is Mai and Kouta's whole deal and what exactly they're going or what they're going to do but whatever.

RBX fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 29, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Killer Queen posted:

I'm not sure why they gave Hase's belt to Jounouchi and then... he got owned hard. He didn't put up an ounce of fight.

It's not even Hase's belt, it's just a recovered MP Driver. It's very much a callback to Hase, but dude's belt has been long destroyed.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I want to eat at Charmant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That ending was hilariously pointless. It wasn't even like Kouta just appeared and handed Micchy his Orange lockseed, thus passing the literal and metaphorical torch. He just showed up, did all the work on stomping the bad guy, and this somehow magically solved all of Micchy's guilt.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I got more Kaito, good enough.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Out of all the neo-heisei stuff I'm still going to put Fourze on top, but man was Gaim a hell of a ride with a really offputting last few episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rei_ posted:

Gaim a hell of a ride with a really offputting last few episodes.

This sums it up very nicely for me.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Killer Queen posted:

It's weird how this last episode decided not to sneak in a Drive cameo too. That would've been much cooler than God Kouta showing up to save the day.

Drive appears, beats up ghost guy, arrests Micchy for crimes against humanity.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

dordreff posted:

Drive appears, beats up ghost guy, arrests Micchy for crimes against humanity.

Micchy then ends up Drive's Hannibal Lector throughout Drive, and is only released for Gaim vs Drive: The Fruity Explosion Battle in the City!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Out of all the neo-heisei stuff I'm still going to put Fourze on top, but man was Gaim a hell of a ride with a really offputting last few episodes.

It gets 90% of the landing at the end, but it doesn't quite stick it at the very end. It doesn't fall over and collapse at thevery end, but it doesn't land clean either. Of course, the start of the series is a little off as well, but the follow through is worth it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Will there be a Drive thread, or did this one only get one because of the Urobuchi hype?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

This one got its own thread because of a lot of the incoming hype, and tbqh the Toku thread has died down considerably since TQG isn't exactly setting the world on fire and Garo is about to draw to a close. I think it's fine if we go back into the megathread with Drive.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

This one got its own thread because of a lot of the incoming hype, and tbqh the Toku thread has died down considerably since TQG isn't exactly setting the world on fire and Garo is about to draw to a close. I think it's fine if we go back into the megathread with Drive.

We could also probably use a new megathread. OP for the current one hasn't been updated in a year.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

RBX posted:

The real point of this ep was Michy's redemption. He's even officially the "second" rider for future stuff which is pretty cool.

That's an interesting point, actually. Micchy is the only Rider, outside of Kouta, who still has his belt and lockseed. Unless a future movie pulls silly antics through Kouta or the like, Micchy is the one taking on the torch, which is pretty nice thematically. A Kamen Rider Ryugen Returns movie would be super cool, actually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm all for a new megathread. This one pretty much turned into the megathread between episodes anyways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm all for a new megathread. This one pretty much turned into the megathread between episodes anyways.

Word. I'll start working on (read: Shamelessly stealing) the OP in a bit. The big thing is updating the lists of shows.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killer Queen posted:

That's an interesting point, actually. Micchy is the only Rider, outside of Kouta, who still has his belt and lockseed. Unless a future movie pulls silly antics through Kouta or the like, Micchy is the one taking on the torch, which is pretty nice thematically. A Kamen Rider Ryugen Returns movie would be super cool, actually.

Zangetsu Shin is coming back in the next Movie Wars, but I don't know if it's been said whether it's Takatora or Miccy.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WickedHate posted:

Zangetsu Shin is coming back in the next Movie Wars, but I don't know if it's been said whether it's Takatora or Miccy.

Both, they swap off every 50 minions defeated.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Killer Queen posted:

I wish they had kept doing Returns movies. I would have loved to see Birth Returns or Meteor Returns.

Or, even better, the obvious Accel x Meteor movie that Toei totally should have done.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

I wish they had kept doing Returns movies. I would have loved to see Birth Returns or Meteor Returns.

Or, even better, the obvious Accel x Meteor movie that Toei totally should have done.

It's a shame Beast Returns never happened because Nitoh was like 9000000x more interesting and amusing than Haruto ever could be. Now Beast is forgotten forever with all that potential lost.

Speaking of the next Movie War, it seems that the film has Ryugen and Zangetsu Shin, so both Micchy and Takatora will be fighting. I wonder how they pull that off. Maybe it takes place in an alternate dimension with Ryouma back with new belts... or maybe Ryouma never died. I wouldn't put it past the dude to fake his death!

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 30, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, the only thing really stopping Kouta from popping in at random to chuck lockseeds at people is good taste. That, and no one wants to see more blonde Kouta.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

You know, the only thing really stopping Kouta from popping in at random to chuck lockseeds at people is good taste. That, and no one wants to see more blonde Kouta.

Being nigh omnipotent can be busy work tbh.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

I do like the idea of Kouta becoming Kamen Rider Santa Claus.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Killer Queen posted:

Speaking of the next Movie War, it seems that the film has Ryugen and Zangetsu Shin, so both Micchy and Takatora will be fighting. I wonder how they pull that off. Maybe it takes place in an alternate dimension with Ryouma back with new belts... or maybe Ryouma never died. I wouldn't put it past the dude to fake his death!

Considering another returning character is Ryoma, as Duke with a new Arms, I'd say "alternate dimension" is a possibility. Or somehow Ryoma was brought back to life, and Takatora got Yggdrasill working on a new Genesis Driver for himself after seeing everything go to hell with Kogane? Hard to say with how little we know. They need an excuse to get Kaito back in too, considering his popularity and story importance. At least Kouta has an excuse in being able to travel through space back to Earth at any given time because God-powers, and now doesn't even need a Driver or Lockseeds to become Gaim.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've heard that Ryoma is brought back to life by way of cyborgification, no alternate universes necessary.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I really hope the next movie doesn't overuse Kouta's omnipotent godly powers too much because he's on another level far above every other Rider in existence. Well, maybe Tsukasa comes close, but still, it will incredibly stupid if Kouta can do everything under the sun AND he's always in the spotlight. I don't even see how there can be a proper challenge for Kouta... unless he fights the embodiment of the universe's darkness itself or something equally absurd.

And yeah, Kouta looks super hammy and lame as a blonde rock star walking out of an 80s boy band.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Didn't Ryoma show off some sketches of potential future driver designs at one point, or did I just imagine that?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

glomkettle posted:

Didn't Ryoma show off some sketches of potential future driver designs at one point, or did I just imagine that?

You didn't imagine it. I was hoping for that little detail to come up near the end.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Thought they were just prototypes not future designs. Then again this was a year or so ago.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

glomkettle posted:

Yes, that happened, but I assumed Ryouma never had anything stable created beyond the Genesis Driver. I bet all his ultimate belt designs turned out like the Hell Lockseed and had too many problems to be truly usable. It could have also been grandstanding because Ryouma loves to do that. Alternatively, Ryouma's subplots, and therefore the belts, were cut down because had to minimize his actor's role in the series due to scheduling.

I could totally see that kind of stuff come back in the upcoming movie though.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I unironically think blonde/bleached hair Kouta looks cool.

• Locked thread