Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just finished marathoning all 23 episodes. Holy poo poo this series is amazing.

I was not expecting fruit themed samurai fighting Pokemon to be this dark and to possibly be a better Rider show than Double.

Micchy is my favorite character, despite (because of?) how malleable his morals and alliances are.

Also, Kouta's actor is amazing and really sells his emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going to put forth a theory I haven't seen anyone posit yet.

I think that DJ Sagara is just some guy who works for Yggdrasil. I also think that one of the Overlords is running around Zawame City masquerading as Sagara specifically to groom Kouta for...something.

It's totally possible that it's the same Sagara and the difference is probably pretty slim, but based on how Yggdrasil views Sagara, it strains my credibility that one of the Overlords knew enough about humans to develop a character to fly under the radar until it could enact its plan. Especially when the other two we've seen don't seem to know much about humans at all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

I can't believe I liked Micchy and his manipulative ways at one point... but now it's looking like the point of no return for him. He's more detestable than Sid at this point. But it's the strength of Gaim that it's shown such character development for several characters. Especially in a short period of time.

Micchy had a slow, steady and believable descent into shitdom. I thought he was the most interesting character in the early part of the series and I still like his character a lot. He's completely detestable, but I like how they got him to this point. I think his arc was really well written.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rei_ posted:

At some point you realize Micchy was just some nerd who bluffed his way into Team Gaim and was in the early episodes mostly existed as a background character with a crush on Mai that he allowed to go unchecked into full on creepdom.

Like it always seemed like Yuuya/Mai/Kouta were a thing but Micchy was a recent newcomer who noone really knew anything about.

We had no reason to care about Micchy at all until episode 4 when he got a belt.

And even then, considering we had five Riders by episode 5, it still seemed like he was going to be Kouta's sidekick Rider.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Am I the only one that's sad that we didn't actually end up with ONIGIRI ARMS! even if it was just a mental sight gag?

That would be amazing, but it unfortunately doesn't fit with our fruit theme.

I really hope they don't kill Takatora, I really like his character. :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I legitimately did not know that rice was a seed. You learn something everyday.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ummm... What exactly did you think it was? :stare:

Well, I haven't had many situations that required me to really examine what rice may or may not be, so I've never really thought about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jonjonaug posted:

Good episode. The Lord of the Overlords is a lot more chill than I was expecting him to be.

"I'm able to fight because I believe in my friends!" *Is currently having murder attempted on him by his best friend* Oh, Kouta. :(

After watching the episode live as it aired, I gotta say it flows a lot better with the ads cut out. The advertisement placement was awful this week.

Yeah, when he started that speech I was thinking "goddammit Kouta, you're so painfully naive that I'm starting to hate you." Then he manned the gently caress up and started beating up Micchy. I was very happy about that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Far less depressing, I kind of like how Sid really is nothing without being a tier above everyone else in equipment. The moment Kaito gets the Genesis Driver, he beats the everloving crap out of Sid, he's not able to hold back the Overlord, and I'm pretty sure Kouta could beat him up too. Sid is low-tier as it comes, alongside Micchy, they're definitely at their best outside of combat, manipulating others to do what they need.

Yeah, it makes sense that the street kids who have more practical combat experience are better fighters and with the power levels evened, suddenly the guys from Yggdrasill can't compete with them.

Kind of like how Kouta couldn't touch Oren (who has actually military training), but using an Energy Seed, suddenly it was no contest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going to assume it's too late now, but where is this stream?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Tendou is a serious character who does serious things and the plot is rather serious but it somehow manages to be absolutely goddamn crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5N15dCdvQ

What the hell did I just watch?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So I guess I need to go watch Black now?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Darksaber posted:

I watched it fairly recently and I would definitely say you need to go watch Black now unless you can't stand the older shows. There's some filler in the middle you can skip through, but the show really really nails the last 15 or so episodes and the landing.

And then falls down and breaks every bone in its body with RX.

I know I watched a few episode of Black a while back and I think I liked what I saw?

The oldest toku I've really watched is Dairanger, so I don't really know if I like old stuff or not. I'm going to check if I still have Black and try to binge it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

If you want to skip most of the fillery episodes, I can make a guide for you.

That sounds awesome. I'd really appreciate that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks a lot. I think I'll try the first 10 or so straight and if I get bored, I'll start following your guide.

I've heard a lot of great things about it, so I'd like to give it a fair shake.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

:worship: Would it be too much to ask for something similar for Black RX? Or is that one you can watch all the way through?

He actually posted it in the main toku thread.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, isn't Gaim supposed to be shorter than the last few?

About 38: I thought Micchy's actor did a great job selling his craziness, both the freakouts at Takatora and the calm insanity when he kidnapped Mai. I also just realized that Micchy is looking more like Takatora now. Early on, he had his own look, but now he's wearing suits and his hair is longer and styled the same way Takatora's is styled.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

You'd almost feel sorry for the guy, if he wasn't such a little poo poo.

Feel sorry for him? gently caress that, I want to see how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Yeah the whole thing about needing the full four for like, later movies and poo poo still leaves me wondering if Takatora's really dead. Like we didn't see a body or anything still, and like all signs point to like, fuckin' dead. But...

That merch, you know?

The full four what? Energy Riders?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, considering Ryugen is now Zangetsu, even if Takatora's still around...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

The only real question yet is whether Kouta will fail to save his sister, or whether he will save her, but at the cost of something else incredibly dear to him (like having to kill Micchy).

Man, what a hard choice. Do I kill my batshit crazy friend in order to save my sister, save my other good friend and save my entire city?

I mean, my batshit crazy friend did try to kill me half a dozen times, but he's such a good friend!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

No, see, that's how a sane person thinks. Kouta is not a sane person, he is an anime protagonist. Just one who happens to be in a live action show.

Actually, if you take the irony and sarcasm out of that post, that's exactly what Kouta will be thinking in a couple of episodes.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That actually makes more sense than either "Micchy" or "Mitchy."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure if it'd be the Best Thing or just the Most Anime Thing if Yuya's going to end up pulling a Kamina on him.

Yes. And I really hope that happens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fooley posted:

I just really, really hope Micchy doesn't have some crisis on conscience and throw himself in front of an overlord or something. I want someone to rider kick him right up his stupid loving rear end.

Yeah, I have to agree. He's so far down the rabbit hole that any attempt to redeem him would come off as completely contrived.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If When Micchy gets murdered, I will loving cheer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, Kouta is probably the second-worst main Rider at giving kicks, after Hibiki.

You think Kouta is worse than Eiji? I'm pretty sure OOO only Rider Kicked twice in the series and the second one didn't even kill anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, OOO is kind of a blur to me, except for a few highlights. I guess I was thinking about how TaToBa only kicked twice and extended that to all his forms.

Also, GataKiriBa was only around once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Gaim a hell of a ride with a really offputting last few episodes.

This sums it up very nicely for me.

• Locked thread