Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
+

Doc Aquatic posted:

Was there a character beat I missed that makes Kaito deciding 'gently caress the weak, let's let plants eat everyone who's not a badass' mesh with his earlier thing of the weak being allowed to exist as long as they know their place? That seemed like a pretty drastic shift, if I wasn't misreading him before.

Kaito is fine with leaving the weak masses alone, but he sure isn't gonna stick his neck out to help them. He isn't a total monster, but he values his stupid personal philosophy above all else. He struggles against his own better nature, like when he reflexively got mad about the tree. Obviously, he never cared that much about the tree or the shrine it was in. His natural first response was anger on Mai's behalf, but he quashed that pretty quickly.

Also, has Sagara ever physically appeared with other members of yggdrasil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure he was physically present for one of the boardroom scenes. He does generally only teleconference in though....

No one saw him free Kouta and no one should have been able to open Ryouma's case. Whatever the hell his position in yggdrasil is, I don't think he is supposed to have that kind of access, much less to the extent of being untraceable. I'd really like some confirmation that the people who should know what his deal is have actually met him face to face.

VVVV Edit: Hey, Mai is the shrine maiden for a shrine dedicated to a tree from helheim. She might end up being pretty darn important to the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There has to be some central villain eventually, though. All the unusual parts aside, there has to be someone for Kouta to jump kick at the end. Considering that helheim doesn't seem to be sentient thus far, I'm guessing a human will somehow take over helheim for themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Originally, the method to catch them all was to buy them from Sid. It isn't like the dance teams were tabletop wargaming enthusiasts, so paying out the rear end to get a full set was never a big priority.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, that's unusual. Kouta won against someone who was stronger than he was without getting a powerup. Nice change of pace, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm kind of curious about what difference using another energy lockseed would make. The normal lockseeds have various weapons associated with them, but thus far all of the energy riders have had identical abilities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cracks have been opening for centuries now and overlords don't age. Sagara might have been visiting or even living on earth for all that time. It isn't weird that he has acclimated more than the overlords. However, if Sagara is an overlord just like red and green, why do the leia thing instead of going over to talk in person? Guy gets around, so even if he lacks the ability to create cracks he could always just jack a flower bike.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Well he broke one of the unspoken rules of Toku.

He also literally shot his friend in the back in order to leave him to die. Kind of hard to top in terms of scumbag moments, but I'm sure he will manage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kaito is THE MOST reliable man on the show.

His thought process is and always has been as follows:
You and I Disagree-->We Fight--->If you win you're right, if I win I'm right.

You'd think so, but then he keeps insisting he is right even though he always gets his rear end kicked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The hospital episode was quite possibly the dumbest plot I have ever seen in my life. They set up car crashes and then took dudes to a hospital they controlled so that they could be made into international terrorists. That isn't a bad plan at all, if you just want to cause chaos. However, they didn't use any sort of mind control or physical alterations. They treated their injuries and used their gratitude to the doctor that worked on them as the only method of control. Then they got a truck driver to serve as their drill sergeant, and their training consisted of smacking each other with rifles and running through explosions. When they got fed up with all of the bullshit on what I recall as the first day, they sent a monster in to kill all of the trainee terrorists. I started skimming episodes looking for plot development after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

I remember really liking that episode for how silly the whole thing was. I don't think there was a single episode of Black I found unentertaining, but Golgom is very incompetent except on the rare occasions they aren't and most of the last 15 or so episodes. I think my favorite was an early episode where they want to slow or stop human technological progress so they make a few computer engineers depressed. And that's all they do for the entire episode. I'd still call the MOTW in Black better than the stuff I've seen in Heisei Rider shows, it's just really well done even when the premise is bizarre or stupid. Also the monsters have the decency to only last for an episode before getting blown up.

That's a lot of why I don't like Black much. Kotaro is very intense in his hatred for Golgom, but they were incompetent and silly. Golgom is initially presented as this far-reaching and influential secret society from which there is no escape, but nope, it has like 5 human members total and they are also kind of stupid. There is just that bizarre disconnect between the premise and the execution.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems kind of early for an upgrade considering how Kouta hasn't lost a single fight that he actually used triumphant arms for. He hasn't ever used it for fighting overlords.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dante Logos posted:

It would probably take something like the revelation of Micchy's douchiness to snap Kouta out of it. But where do you go from there? Will that even be enough? Who knows, which makes the wait for the next episode a pain to deal with.

In the short term, Kouta will probably react with sadness and anger. Oh, and denial. He is very good at that one. However, I sincerely doubt that Kouta would permanently give up on Micchy unless he starts killing people. He will ultimately try to save Micchy, even if it is from Micchy himself. That's just who Kouta is, and it isn't really something he should get rid of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Double is probably the most solid overall, but it has some incredibly awful episodes. Fourze is unrelentingly optimistic- I'm a fan, but it isn't much like Gaim at all. OOO has what I believe is the best supporting cast of these examples, but frequently the rest of the show is kind of bland. Kuuga is very slow and repetitive, but it makes up for it with the excellent character work all around. Black is a very silly show for most of its run (supposedly because it uses a bunch of generic stock toku scripts), paired with a very intense mc that doesn't really fit. Wizard and Decade are just plain bad. If you want to try anything else, you will have to go through tv-nihon subs, which I do not recommend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Micchy needs some real power to be a real threat. Relying on manipulation won't work when there is no one who will listen to him. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to swipe an overlord's power or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just checked, and no one seems to have mentioned that Kouta controlled the plants briefly. I can't be the only one to have noticed that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

!Mai being a younger vision of Roshuo's wife isn't a huge surprise, especially considering how incorporeal and dreamlike she's been throughout the whole series.
[/spoiler]

Nah, you misunderstood that part. Roshuo didn't find Mai's appearance particularly interesting, and his wife was played by a different actor. However, his wife was someone who once had the golden fruit. She had one red eye but was otherwise human in appearance. Sound familiar? Not-Mai is actually Mai, somehow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So Mai and Not-Mai are just two unrelated people who coincidentally look identical and have both carried an apple in the past? This is some sort of world reset/time travel/alternate reality thing, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Remember, whoever has the golden fruit can remake the world any way they please. That might include rewinding time, for all anyone knows. Recreating the world as it used to be without any time fuckery wouldn't account for the overlords, as it would be a bit silly for an endless stream of alternate Helheims to keep invading the same world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is kind of funny how Mai being from a long line of priestesses who attended to a non-invasive helheim tree doesn't seem to be relevant to anything, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

point of return posted:

A tie-in to Drive would be my guess.

Aren't those usually in the second movie?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think it's going to be more like the last episodes of Wizard.

Which would be fine with me, because while that mini-arc didn't really reveal anything pertinent about Gaim, it was some good low-content high-fanservice Decadey nonsense

Oh. Well, I didn't watch wizard for obvious reasons, so I wasn't aware that they did it differently than the previous few series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beats me, I made that example up. :v: I didn't see all of Black, just the first ten episodes or so, but even I noticed how silly it was that the slightest thing going wrong caused Kotaro to immediately suspect Golgom. I didn't actually see it, but I vaguely recall a friend of mine saying there was an episode where a character got sick and instead of going "Oh maybe she has a cold, hope she gets better" Kotaro goes "GOLGOM MUST BE BEHIND THIS."

It would have been amazing if Kotaro's insane paranoia concerning golgom was sometimes unfounded.

Have they ever said how the original overlords became overlords? It might have been something similar to Kaito's method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, the only thing really stopping Kouta from popping in at random to chuck lockseeds at people is good taste. That, and no one wants to see more blonde Kouta.

• Locked thread