Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Silver2195 posted:

Am I the only one who kind of liked the dancing?

Nope, I thought it was fantastic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fezz posted:

Well the Invess he summoned with it ate the Lock Seed and it didn't seem to reappear after Gaim rider kicked it.

10 bucks says that he has it back next episode with no explanation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I don't know more than a few assorted words of Japanese, so I have no idea what the sister's original dialog was, but just going off of the subs, she comes off as a huge condescending bitch to her brother. "Oh, you're earning your money by street dancing and holographic pokemon battling? Forget it, you're not making the world a better place, so your money is no good here."

I paid my rent for a couple years being a grocery bagger and cart pusher, Would she refuse my money since working at a supermarket isn't making the world a better place and making all the customers so happy?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Saying that street performing benefits nobody but the performer doesn't really make sense though...actors, musicians, dancers, etc all perform using their skills to entertain others. While Kouta is showboating and grandstanding, he's doing so to entertain a crowd and to benefit Team Gaim. Yes, he's deriving personal satisfaction from it, but it's not this huge selfish act.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dickeye posted:

She's telling him that she's not going to take money that he made by being a loving gang member instead of working a real job, this is not hard to understand.

The gang in question engages in acts of street dancing and holographic pokemon battling. Not exactly damning activities.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dickeye posted:

It would seem more comparable to that if those clubs weren't also vying over territory. It's gangs. It's literally gangs. She's telling him to be a productive member of society and stop running around with a gang.

Being "a gang" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially in a universe where gang turf wars are handled with dancing and pocket monsters rather and grafitti and switchblades or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also, Kouta didn't abandon a salaryman career to be a Armored Dancing Fruit Samurai. He was a fast food delivery boy and a painter. If Team Gaim activity stops paying the bills, he can go right back to doing various part-time oddjobs. He lost absolutely nothing of consequence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jonjonaug posted:

Believe it or not some part time jobs (or possible full time jobs) may actually ask for references. How do you think that will play out if Kouta gives a potential employer his previous employers' contact info and they come back saying "oh yeah, that's the guy who quit working to play at being an orange"?

Not sure how it is in Japan, but in the US, you're not obligated to list everything you've ever done under work experience. Kouta could again get in at the ground floor of some part time job and be no worse off than he was before he became an Orangeman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Being able to come up with two months worth of rent off of a single prize reward seems like it'd be a good way to build a nest egg. It's implied that Kouta is wining fight after fight after fight. Until another Rider showed up, nothing was giving him any kind of challenge. As long as he's not squandering that money away as soon as he gets it, I think it's perfectly reasonable for Kouta to look at Invess prize money as a short term source of income.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AzraelNewtype posted:

You mean like immediately suggesting that they move into a larger apartment and chowing down on expensive foods?

Fair enough, but his first thought was just for the basic rent payment. He walked in with an envelope of cash, not a basket of fancy steaks and a lease on a new place.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Invess battles (armored rider or not) are more than just street brawls. They're televised entertainment in this setting.

Nobody is arguing that Kouta shouldn't have some responsibility, we're (or at least I am) arguing that based on the universe presented to us, being a member of Team Gaim is legitimate gainful employment and is not deserving of the scorn that his sister puts on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The best comparison I've seen was someone up thread mentioned pro video gamers. It's certainly a non-traditional way of making money, and like a lot of sports-type careers you probably will only get a few good years out of it before the money dries up (for contact sports you get older and slower and injured, for e-sports you lose your reflexes and the fad of a given game dies out), but if you can make it work for you, hey go for it.

That's why Kouta is doing; he has a talent (ability to use the belt and lock seeds) and he's making it work for him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Volcano Style posted:

Am I the only one who thought there wasn't actually any prize money and he was just selling all the Lockseeds he won?

I don't think they established Kouta as someone to spin a line of complete BS like that though, especially to his sister.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really want one of Baron's fruit-themed playing card decks...was it created as a prop for the show? Or does anyone know where I could buy one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rei_ posted:

Some more upcoming Arms Change figures Baron's Skyrim Mango Armor and Ryugen's Kiwi Chakram Armor

http://sve.2chan.net/cgi/g/src/1384248850914.jpg

loving cool as hell.

This show is getting ridiculously stupid in all the right ways. I'm glad I made this my first Rider series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still really want a deck of his fruit themed playing cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still surprised that DJ Sagara is a real person. I seriously thought his reveal would be that he was just a digital construct for the media broadcasts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, has Sagara ever physically appeared with other members of yggdrasil?

I'm pretty sure he was physically present for one of the boardroom scenes. He does generally only teleconference in though....

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin_Brett posted:

If we're talking flaws of the show, I really think Bravo needs to go.

I will cut you.

fabulously

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think they mean "dedicated team-up special". The Decade/Shinkenger stuff were just part of the regular episode count.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TerminusEst13 posted:

Kamen Rider VS Super Sentai: Super Hero War? :v:

EDIT: Well unless it's "a specific single team and specific single Rider".

That was a movie though...isn't this still the first on-TV team up special?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again: gently caress you people and your tantalizing black boxes! :argh:

Time to go :f5: at Aesir like a mad man. :smith:

If nothing else, Aesir cranks things out in record time. Do those guys not have day jobs or something? Not a complaint about any of the other sub groups out there, I'm just constantly in awe of Aesir's turnaround time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So what about these rumors that Gaim is going to be forced to end ten episodes early due to the world cup? :smith:

Its pretty much a given that Super Hero Time is gonna go on hiatus during the World Cup, but I haven't heard anything about Gaim actually straight up ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

This show seriously is not loving around. I'm glad I picked Gaim to start watching Rider.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to keep track...who all knows that Micchy's big brother is the head of Yggdrasil?

The rest of Team Gaim seems to be buying the whole "Micchy's just super stressed and snapped at Kouta unnecessarily", but Mai and Kouta themselves are really starting to realize that there's a lot more going on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

King of Solomon posted:

I believe the only people who know are the people who work for Yggdrasill.

That's what I was thinking.

Once that little chestnut goes public, I think Micchy is gonna be pretty much screwed. People on the fence about the Invess/Beat Rider connection will turn on him, the dancing teams won't appreciate him holding back that info, and the only friends he'd have left will be Kouta and Mai...and he's doing a pretty drat good job on scaring those two off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Am I the only one that's sad that we didn't actually end up with ONIGIRI ARMS! even if it was just a mental sight gag?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope the new episode has a scene where Kouta's sister is like, "They'll be here to rescue us soon. Definitely. I have faith in them!". Then she goes to the window and sees all the main characters playing soccer while Zawame city burns down around them.

It'll probably be like the Kikaider one and be a flashback to before poo poo hit the fan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Can Of Worms posted:

Raws for the new episode are online. I missed DJ Sagara's hyping scenes. HELLOOOOOO ZAWAME CITY! :allears:

Oh man, you are so right. Good times having that back for an episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fooley posted:

Considering we're probably in the last ten episodes and with things going how they are, its been a while since Helheim Mai showed up. Although if Micchy is taking her there then hopefully we'll learn about her. And just who/what Sagara is.

Y'know I was just thinking that it was weird that we hadn't seen NotMai in a while. Also, is all the Rider War horseback stuff just from the Gaim movies? Or is some of that supposed to show up here in the series proper?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rei_ posted:

So let's recap
-Kouta's dead
-Mai's dead, and also the Mai who's been showing up all along
-Ryouma's dead
-Kaito is an Overlord
-Mitsy is a sobbing, hysterical, broken loving fragment of a human being

I accidently mouse'd over this and regret it horribly. Oh well...I'm stoked to actually watch the ep.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And since when is there One Specific Set of Character Traits that all Riders have to have if they're considered to be a Real or Good Rider? That just sounds like lazy writing to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm finally getting around to watching the Gaim Soccer movie, and while I'm still only partway through, I'm really enjoying the surrealism of Rider powers being used in soccer games. And Matsumoto Hiroya getting a cameo made me smile. I know its a Rider film, but I would have loved a nod to Magiranger or Go-Busters from him.

EDIT: Oh my...did not realize just how hard I was necro-posting. Oh well...at least its on topic!

EDIT 2: Not sure how I'm feeling about this massive street battle...sure its cool to see the Yggdrasil troops squaring off against regular soldiers...but the actual narrative reasons are rather opaque.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nyaa had a file from some group called BananaArms. The subs were not the greatest, I'll tell you that. Wacky text effects were present (but only on henshin phrases and finishers, so that's right about where I like them), and I caught some really poor grammar choices, but it was perfectly watchable. I probably will still rewatch once Aesir releases subs though.

• Locked thread