Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

LightningKimba posted:

I hear Decade thrown around quite a bit, and my knowledge of it is that it does some callbacks to older Kamen Rider series, so you might want to just go ahead and watch Kuuga (The first Heisei rider series. ... AKA The first series to premiere when KR went on a long break), so that way you'd understand some of the returns Decade does.

Yeah, don't start with Decade. Not because it relies a lot on callbacks, but mainly because it's not a very good show. Kuuga, Agito and Double are arguably the best modern Kamen Rider shows, and good to start with if you can accept that it's pretty much all downhill from there.

I'm kinda glad to see the new thread is getting some people interested in the franchise for the first time. Let's hope Gaim proves itself worthy of that attention. The first episode didn't totally blow my mind, but it does show a lot of promise, and I expect some cool things out of Urobuchi, or at least an interesting trainwreck when it turns out he just can't handle a merchandise-driven kids' show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Demicol posted:

I liked that we got a lot of stuff to think about during the first episode, lately there hasn't been a Rider show that didn't take place in our "normal" world.

I think it's just the city that's weird, but mostly because I hope they're sticking to the vague shared continuity thing they've been doing since Double.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Potsticker posted:

Wizard sort of broke the chain with Zaidan X not appearing at all.

I don't think it appeared in OOO either, but they went and connected it to the Kougami Foundation in Movie Wars Megamax, if I recall. That movie was pretty great in how it brought three shows together. Of course, worrying too much about continuity in Kamen Rider is usually not worth it, since how it's handled varies depending on the writer.

I do think it's nice, though, that Gaim has a distinct setting in Zawame City. Double had that going for it, too, and Fourze to a lesser extent, and it helped give the shows a distinct flavor.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

:allears:

This is getting me so hyped for Gaim it's ridiculous.

Yes but you see the dance sequences are no good

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I think the beginning of the episode was a realistic depiction of a teenager who's just acquired superpowers.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

jivjov posted:

10 bucks says that he has it back next episode with no explanation.

:eng101: The shot at the end of the episode only showed the Orange and Pineapple lock seeds. Seems like they're doing the thing OOO did where they're keeping track of which power-ups the main character has access to in any given episode. Hopefully this won't mean they'll get swapped around too arbitrarily.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Rei_ posted:

Episode 03

I look forward to hearing everyones questionable opinions about women and dancing.

Not really.

I get the dancing bit, but when were women a thing in this thread? Or are you anticipating that because of the sister's weird "get a real job" bit? I got what it meant thematically, but the metaphor sort of breaks down if you think of the teams as competing entertainers rather than gamblers or whatever.

Anyway, the rumors that Urobuchi was going to spring some big twist in episode 3 made some of my friends a bit disappointed, because none of the developments were all that unexpected. Personally I'm just glad that the show's premise is starting to ramp up. And I totally loved that Baron more or less shrugged off the mysterious girl's mysterious warning. He should be a fan sort-of-antagonist.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Dexie posted:

I can see what his sister was trying to get at, but man it makes her seem like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, it was unfortunately worded. It must have sounded a bit too familiar for anyone who's ever attempted to make a living off of anything that isn't a typical 9-to-5 job.

Justin_Brett posted:

Seemed like partly a cultural sentiment to me. Although you could compare it to Peter Parker using his powers to go wrestle pretty well, except presumably without his sister eating a bullet.

...yet.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I like their take on it saying that Akira's position isn't one you're necessarily meant to agree with, and was presented as a lecture on purpose even if the point she was making had merit.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The dancing was terrible in this episode. Just dreadful. I'm this close to dropping the show for good.

Seriously, though, it's great watching a new Rider series that actually has a plot. I think we can consider Urobuchi's trap officially sprung at this point. The scene with Kouta in his room had his fingerprints all over it.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 29, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TurninTrix posted:

This is a lot going on for just five episodes, not that I'm complaining.

It's nice how fast things progress when they aren't forcing everything into two-episode arcs, isn't it?

Next week looks a bit filler-riffic, though, but amazing all the same.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

tsob posted:

I thought there was an interview with Urobuchi where he stated they were considered nuts and that they were [possible minor future spoilers]on a lower level than fruits because of it?

As I understand it, the last two Riders are basically recolors of existing ones with their own unique Arms. Gridon is basically a brown Gaim before he turns into an acorn, while Kurokage is based on Baron. So you have four main Riders with unique designs, with potentially a lot more "minor" ones based off of them.

Edit: Actually, Zangetsu seems to be based off of Gaim as well, though we haven't gotten a very good look at it without Arms yet.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Even though I'm usually all for localization in subs, something rubs me the wrong way about outright changing character names. It's odd, too, because I totally understand why they did it, and know I wouldn't mind it as much if this were an official translation. Ah, well, I'll just roll with it. Ornac is a fantastically goofy name anyway.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Forget all that. It's all about the twoots.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well we don't actually have a hard chronology on when, exactly, that scene with the worker staring at the fruit takes place. The way the scene was shot, and the worker's actions, implied something more sinister than just "oh he's about to be mauled."

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Yuuya anyway.

I'd been assuming he had been turned into the Inves Kouta fought and killed in the first episode. That would be a pretty dark twist.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Race Realists posted:

The writing and pacing has been top notch so far.

I'm just hoping this doesn't fall apart like Wizard did.

Wizard didn't have to fall from very high. The first few episodes were promising but not particularly mindblowing.

That said, I definitely agree with you. I love this show so far, and I'm tired of having my heart broken. :sigh:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm really interested in Jonouchi mostly because he appears in the first scene of the show, and he was one of the first-shown Riders in promotional material, which would make you think he would be as important as Ryugen, Baron and Zangetsu, yet he's done absolutely nothing of importance until now.

The theory is that he was just thrown in there because his design/costume had been finalized and Kurokage/Bravo's hadn't. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I was getting a bit annoyed at the direction Minato's character was taking ("oh no I need a man to boss me around") but her takedown of Micchy was loving beautiful.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I like how Mai is now a literal object for the guys to fight over. :shepicide:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Killer Queen posted:

Urobuchi has never written a decent female character though, so it's nothing new.

I don't know, he did write Madoka, though that may have been a fluke.

It would be pretty funny if the last episode took a sudden swerve and had Mai go "gently caress your pissing contests, I spent 45 episodes on the sidelines, I'm using the fruit myself", but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fooley posted:

Next to no horse, barely any bikes, and the new series he's going to drive a car? This is some bullshit.

Furthermore, the dance scenes are complete garbage.

• Locked thread