Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Fred is on posted:

As I understand it, the last two Riders are basically recolors of existing ones with their own unique Arms. Gridon is basically a brown Gaim before he turns into an acorn, while Kurokage is based on Baron.

Reverse: Gridon has Baron's chainmail, and helmet aside looks exactly like Baron pre-Arms, while Kurokage is... actually closer to Zangetsu's design than Gaim's, based on the bracers and pre-Arms shoulderpads. They even have the same standby tunes as Gaim and Baron before flipping the blade lever, and their Driver callouts are somewhat similar as well (though Gridon's doesn't sound so delightfully ludicrous as Baron's).

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Potsticker posted:

The dumb part is that it's not a blanket decision. Kurokage wasn't localized on the grounds that they weren't sure if it was supposed to be a goofy "badass" name or not.

The entire deal with Gridon's name is that it is a dumb joke/anagram pun that Hase apparently thought up on the fly, and the rest of Team Gaim immediately calls him out on it ("Gridon, like 'Donguri'? :jerkbag:"). None of the other Riders encountered thus far are named after their Lockseeds, and it would be super weird having the one dude who is not actually keep the joke without "GRIDON IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE JAPANESE WORD FOR ACORN" cropping up all the time, since the Lockseed shout is subtitled Acorn Arms.

I thought it pretty odd at first too but I can't help but love the Ornac decision now.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 19, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Flameingblack posted:

I guess the writers from Wizard just had this vague idea of "WIZARDS!" and not enough story telling to fill in the gaps

The biggest thing against Wizard is that, ultimately, nothing happens whatsoever - there are no stakes to be raised, and despite any showing of competence on part of the Phantoms, Haruto's only slip-ups in an otherwise perfect "save the victim of the week" record just outright save their own drat selves and become wizards too. There's absolutely no reason to care about the villains of the show, because for about 42 episodes they actually make negative progress. The closest thing we get is Legion, and even he serves as little more than an upgrade vehicle.

I wanted to like Wizard, but now I kind of cringe whenever I see Haruto; I wouldn't call the show neo-Heisei's Decade but it's by far the worst of the five we've gotten so far. Just so much wasted potential, for such a cool suit design and an absolutely amazing secondary Rider (who is incidentally the only reason to watch Wizard).

Gaim on the other hand is basically the opposite, for me: I had no idea how the hell the show would work with its own, incredibly scattered concept, and was convinced that it couldn't be even remotely serious (for god's sake we have a dude whose belt yells BANANA ARMS), but here we are, just getting better and better every week.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 23, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

jonjonaug posted:

Oh, and here's some webshop exclusive figures.

Please please please tell me Figuarts Bravo will indeed come with its own tiny couch.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

SpazmasterX posted:

Of course, maybe they're just called Armored Riders because they share the aesthetic but they aren't the solitary heroes that Kamen Riders are known to be.

They're Beat Riders with armor. That's it, that's the entire reason.

By the time Oren stepped in the name had caught on with the community in-show so now it's a blanket term for everyone with a similar getup.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Apart from that, there's quite a few Riders that have gone monster. Trying to avoid spoilers here, since most of said transformations are plot-critical, but Faiz, Blade, Kabuto, Kiva, Decade, OOO and now Gaim have had at least one Rider each turn into a monster.

Wizard teases it pretty heavily, but like every cool thing Wizard could have done, it doesn't happen. Though I might go so far to say it pulls a reversal?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

WickedHate posted:

"...No. You know what? gently caress you Miccy. Burn in Hell. I'm going to start up a relationship with Mai just to spite your spirit."

Have any Rider protagonists actually done this before? I haven't seen that many series but I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone who's went and called out their rear end in a top hat secondaries on how much of a tool they've been the entire show. Just... toe the line and say "Oh my god I have had it up to here with your bullshit, dude I liked" instead of spending the whole time agonizing over how to redeem/memorialize them.

And I mean like, Kouta-level main character, since Takatora more or less already went and did that here. :v:

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 30, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Last week was the ending, this is just...I don't even know what it is. I know what it tries to be, but I'm not sure what it ends up being.

This week on Kamen Rider Gaim: YOU SAW OUR MOVIE, RIGHT??

Seriously, it feels like even the writers saw how absolutely stupid this episode was. "It's me! It's me! Remember me??" "What? No. What?" "Oh right."

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Killer Queen posted:

I'm not sure why they gave Hase's belt to Jounouchi and then... he got owned hard. He didn't put up an ounce of fight.

It's not even Hase's belt, it's just a recovered MP Driver. It's very much a callback to Hase, but dude's belt has been long destroyed.

• Locked thread