Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it.

This is interesting to me. While Gaim does play around with the theme of adulthood, I would venture that Kouta doesn't come off as adult because, first, he isn't portrayed to have responsibilities and duties beyond that of 'occasionally attempting to find a job' and therefore doesn't bear the cost of choice. His older sister, whom he lives with, basically does that all for him. It doesn't help that the fruit bar enables him to run off to do his superherotime. Takatora does come off as adult as he does show responsibility over Micchy, and that he accepted the price of saving humanity as being able to rescue only a part of it. Kouta might demonstrate some maturing within the conflicting "becoming an Overlord" thing that Sagara prophecied, but that might only resolves at the end of the show.

Second, a sign of adulthood and maturity is foresight and the capability to plan the means to your ends. Unfortunately, he's written to be just reactive to the plot. I can't remember a specific instance where he was responsible for something except for destroying the Scalar Weapons which imho is more impulsive than mature, rather than an active, willful player in plot advancement. Whatever character advancement there is basically a result of "Sagara gives Kouta a new toy because :iiam:". Even his plans to speak to the Overlords for a solution are inadvertently being carried out by Takatora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
I don't remember ever seeing a Rider Kick from Gaim. Did Kouta in whatever armour he was wearing ever perform a Rider Kick?

I'm new to the whole Kamen Rider shebang so I thought that the hero would always do a Rider Kick...?

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

I love the attack a great deal, I think it can look very dynamic and awesome when done right, but it's not used that much anymore beyond certain Riders.

Ahha, thanks. But now you make me wish that Kouta would have at least Rider kicked Kaito's blade deeper into his wound to finish him off, instead of a lame-rear end, inch-deep prick. Spend a couple of thousand dollars, Toei! :bahgawd:

• Locked thread