Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

I know that, I just prefer it when it isn't so obvious. Tell your story first, let the toys be just cool things kids WANT to have. Don't literally shill them and make them look like toys, please.

And honestly, I really hated Wizard's first episode. Like, I really hate it. I gave Fourze a few episodes even though the tone just didn't work for me, and it was fun but didn't keep my interest. OOOs I watched all the way through weekly, but I can't say I have any great urge to do so again. Wizard? Wizard gave me a headache and made me drop it first episode.

Gaim is not as bad as Wizard, not by a long shot. It's just not very focused and all over the place. Oh and the dancing sucks. I will harp on this for as long as it's a thing in the story.

It sounds like you just don't like Kamen Rider anymore. I mean, the story can justify the toys all it wants, but it's still obvious what they are. Some people don't have the ability to not mind and there's nothing wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Unlucky7 posted:

I can kinda think of explanations for the other questions, but this one I can't think of anything except that he was being a cocky idiot.

Kaito's personal philosophy is very powerful and has a gigantic helping of worthy-adversary-ism. I'm sure he thought Gaim was a potentially strong contender that had got bad breaks and he wanted to see what they could do. He was being completely forthright when he said he wanted to give them a chance to save themselves.

I'm sure he's also suspicious of how much his own team has earned its ranking now that he knows about Peco's shenanigans.

e: got the wrong dude's wrong name

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 14, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Maybe I missed something super obvious, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the Worker guy disappeared after checking out the fruit. Maybe Inves are humans who eat the fruit and transform/get mutated and addicted.

The Bat Inves featured in this episode is the same one that was at the end of the last episode attacking a different dude. I'm pretty sure the implication is that Kouta and Mitsy's guesses are right and both dudes just got mauled.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

melodicwaffle posted:

Friendly (audio) reminder that Team Baron is full of a bunch of tryhard losers

Seriously, every time this song comes on it's hard to not start laughing.

I think it is a very, even perfectly, Kaito song.

What that means is up to the reader.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

scaterry posted:

It's almost as if he was Kouta when he was younger.

He has said this expressly. The reason he's trying to break Kouta's spirit is because otherwise Kouta represents the path he should have gone down and he comes out as the one who made the mistake with his life.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
We might do a post-series release with a translated alternate track, but not before then. Even the obfuscated version in our release was a whim of Magenta's.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darksaber posted:

So what you're saying then is that this is your fault, do I have that right?

The Overlord gibberish subs? That was entirely Magenta's conceit and execution. Well, he had help constructing it, but it had nothing to do with me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, then yes, the entire thing is my fault. (You had the bad luck to say that after I found someone else saying it unironically.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Mister Olympus posted:

My bets are on this being totally intentional. Kouta's real challenge isn't in gaining the powerups, it's with using them responsibly--or resisting their temptation.

This is my actual interpretation. Kouta's trials in the beginning of the show were learning the responsibilities and costs of his power, lessons delivered by Akira, Takatora, and even (sort of) Kaito. The more he took that to heart, the more he was tempted to fall back down under the excuse that it would be necessary. So far, he's been uncorruptible, reluctant to take power and reluctant to use what he has if he thinks there's another way. Sagara scoffs when it's pointed out to him that Kouta's first instinct on learning that the Overlords have the power to solve his problem was not to steal their power, but to ask for it. It's why he always ramps up in fights, because he doesn't want to use more force than necessary. He didn't bother using Triumphant against Demushu until he was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no terms to come to with him.

Zenith isn't corrupting him (morally, anyway), but it doesn't have to. The temptation now is the Fruit of Knowledge, and whether he even wants it for himself. And Sagara is trying to lead him down that slippery slope, but even now the answer to that question is still "no." He still thinks of Zenith's power as the least he can force himself to grapple with, not something to gain more of.

The hell of it is, he may be right about Kaito being a good choice. Or at least, Kaito now. Kaito at the beginning or middle of the show would have been a different story.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
fyi if you haven't downloaded it yet (or if you have?) that we have released a v2 pursuant to a few technical issues and a big snafu about interpreting an ~Overlord intrigue foreshadowing~ line. We apologize deeply for the inconvenience.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

V-Men posted:

From an interview with him. I wonder what he's got in common with Micchy...

When it comes right down to it, aren't we all secretly convinced that the world can be saved if everyone would just do whatever we say without question and that anyone with any other ideas is either evil, stupid, or insane, deep down?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mitsy is quite consistent. He wants social stasis; he wants people to stay in the roles he sees them in because he believes this is the correct state of affairs. At the beginning, he thought they'd simply stay there by default if he didn't give them any reasons to do otherwise; this is why he became Ryugen, to empower himself to keep his fellow Beat Riders from worrying about anything but being his dance buddies.

As the situation changed, they slipped out of his fingers simply by having their own goals and opinions; he felt he needed more and more power and to be more and more active to actively keep them in their places, eventually manufacturing threats to keep them in line, moving against Kouta because he has a different view of what's good for them, and even sabotaging Mai's other goals to keep her helpless, culminating with his alliance with Redue which enables him to make everyone in the world to do what he wants by threat of force (which he promptly uses on Mai - and he believes all that horseshit he fed her).

But moving back to the main point, he actually parallels Kouta's advancement very precisely, in a wonderfully dark way. Kouta only wants enough power to keep people around him from suffering (legitimately, not the way Mitsy did). Every time he advances a phase, it's because Sagara has forced him to reluctantly accept power he doesn't want to address problems that are slipping out of everyone else's control.

The other difference is that Kouta is incorruptible, so each new power actually stresses him out, whereas Mitsy has fallen off the deep end and is reveling in his own perceived messiah-ism.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

That's the weirdest way to romanize ミッチ, I have to admit.

ミッチ is a shortened version of Mitsuzane, by the way. chi is the sound in place of "ti", which makes it the i form of tsu, which is tu. Ta, chi, tsu, te, to.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

Who said it wasn't?

glom, unless he meant whether or not you could justify "Micchy" as it is as a nickname in English. But it's kind of a rationalization; "Mitsy" is closer to what they're doing with it, which is why I use it (except in the scripts; at this point we're using "Micchy" for consistency reasons). I mean, nicknames can get kind of weird natively in Japanese, but "Micchi" is not very much so overall.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Lord Justice posted:

Is the show really about selling merchandise first and foremost, or is it like Madoka where it is using the genre to tell a specific and tightly focused story? Creating a different paradigm, in other words.

There is a story. There is merchandise. I think the show is doing a pretty good job making the merchandise meaningful in the story. The short version is that the theme is about power, privilege, and responsibility, so each new, shinier toy deliberately represents an escalation of power and comes with a material breakthrough, paradigm shift, or downward slide in the toy-holder's arc. But they are going to try to sell you all of those toys in the process. I'm not going to try to talk around that.

quote:

Is Urobuchi's writing good enough here to suffer through the live action and the disinterest in Kamen Rider?

ProbablyMaybe. If you like Urobuchi's writing to begin with, it's on display here.

quote:

Is this like Fate/Zero where you can go in not knowing about the franchise behind it and still be able to understand it?

Yes. Kamen Rider does a different world with a different premise each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Man, I don't even collect stuff and I want some Lock Seeds a little. But I can't actually find that set I know exists that has the Acorn and... I think also Banana?

I mean, they're basically bigger Gaia Memories, and I want some Gaia Memories too. Everyone loves Gaia Memories and those things are like five years old.

• Locked thread