Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

It feels like this series is really winding up for Micchy doing something reprehensible. To who, I can't say just yet. But I can't buy that Urobochi would put all this effort into showing how willing Micchy is to cross moral boundaries and manipulate others just for a "never mind, I'm gonna stay with the good guys". The other shoe hasn't dropped yet.

This episode did end with him trying to keep having his cake and eating it, which is a fundamentally unsustainable situation. He's going to end up paying somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

So poo poo went down pretty hard in the new episode. I'm now pretty much in love with Takatora.

I doubt Oren would appreciate the competition.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

The only thing I thought was silly was him using flags as weapons, they weren't even blades. Just flags. But drat I want a Figuart for that bad boy.

Just think of them as big metal batons with bits of cloth attached and it starts making more sense. More sense by toku standards, anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God the best part is in the preview Kaito immedietly turns on Micchy, calling him out on his underhandedness/how hosed up that is AND Now Takatora's teaming up and being friendly with Kouta. Micchy's shitlordery has basically brought him to nothing but ruin.

Micchy: Exists to make Kaito look like a decent guy and reliable ally. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rei_ posted:

We haven't even begun to make the REALLY bad jokes.

I'm sure we can squeeze some in if we try hard enough, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I'm thinking about is that Kiwami seems way overpowered with its whole 'my power is all the powers :smug:' schtick, and it kind of leaves the other Riders in the dust. Now, Gen's too good a writer for us to expect either a simple steamroll all the way to the end of the show or for the entire supporting cast to immediately become irrelevant, which makes me think about how he's going to engineer some meaningful conflict. Sagara's 'you must become like an Overlord' suggests a possibility - Kiwami might be corruptive somehow, or Kouta just might not be able to handle its power, causing him to go rogue and landing the rest of the cast with the job of defeating the undefeatable. Kaito's basically Kyoko Sakura with an extra Y-chromosome already, which suggests what his role in all this is likely to be if our protagonist goes all Sayaka Miki (tragic death and/or buckets of homoeroticism optional but probable).

Just a theory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Kouta has been using the belt for sustenance for probably way longer than anyone else, which probably has the side effects we're seeing now.

But I had a thought occur. What if: The blonde Mai is the fallen "queen" and the overlords aren't just metaphorical parallels but actual parallel versions? That's why Sagara keeps helping Kouta, because he knew the Kouta over there and it tuns out that Roshuo is Kaito's parallel version?

Nah, Demushuu was totes Kaito. Roshuo was either Kouta or Takatora. Not sure where Redyue fits into that theory, though. She's apparently female, and Minato, our closest equivalent, honestly doesn't seem like a particularly good match.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait, what?

Of all the things to be surprised by.

The website and supplementary material apparently mention it. Yeah, I was weirded out too, though you can sort of see it in her armour design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Gaim is fantastic, and it's my introduction to Kamen Rider. Do any other shows in the franchise match, exceed, or even approach its level of quality?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In spoilery magazine scan news, we all knew this was coming, and it's still going to be fantastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, Aesir is slow this week.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

Probably the best part of this episode.

Man, a week delay, why you gotta do this to me Gaim.

See? Kaito does care. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I found interesting was that Kouta went straight into Kiwami Arms when Redyue showed up. Usually, he goes for a careful escalation so he's using the minimum amount of force necessary. This time? No messing around, just straight-up nuclear-option murder-time. It was a nice little character beat, and helped underline how close he came this episode to some seriously dangerous territory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm seconding this. But, at the same time, since Kouta's been pretty resolute to never give up on Micchy, maybe that actually paying off makes sense. It's also be pretty ironic, considering that it'd mean that Warren Statesman would indirectly be the cause of the redemption. He's forced Micchy into a position where he has to really evaluate what he's going to do with the end of his life. While Kaito's treating his inevitable demise the same way he treats everything else, Micchy's painted himself into a corner that he can't lie or manipulate his way out of. All you'd really need to do to make Gaim into a greek tragedy is make him the main character. I'm really getting a lot of Macbeth vibes from what he's been doing.

It's not like they didn't have any lead-in before this, anyway. It's important to remember that Ghost-Takatora is the manifestation of Micchy's own guilt and self-loathing - everything he says is what Mitsuzane feels, on some level, about himself. Not only that, but stuff like him placing Mai under Roshuo's protection as soon as Redyue started looking in her vague direction shows that he's had difficulty going maximum backstabber, and his duel with Kaito on top of the events of this episode have forced him to decide which way he's going to jump - does he sacrifice Mai to save himself or himself to save Mai?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Kaito and Kouta beat each other to a senseless pulp but can't beat each other. Micchy comes in and kicks them both away, claims the golden fruit, uses it as a last-minute act of repentance to rewrite the world so none of this ever happened and everyone's all happy again. :downs:

Given that the golden fruit apparently does terrible things to its user, that actually seems kind of likely.

drat shame to see the Female Rider Curse is still going strong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Will there be a Drive thread, or did this one only get one because of the Urobuchi hype?

• Locked thread