Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I think my main problem with Gaim's first episode is that it just felt really poorly-paced—all the interesting things were sort of stuck in the last 5-7 minutes of the episode. The Pokémon battle was short and boring, the announcer guy was grating, and Kouta...seems kinda bland and just makes me think of some guy who's like Godai but isn't actually Godai. Going back and watching the first episodes of, say, Fourze or Wizard (also a Wizard fan :saddowns:) that didn't have these same pacing issues just felt a lot more refreshing and enjoyable than what I got out of the first episode of Gaim.

That being said though, I'm sure things will pick up speed pretty soon, it's not like I'm going to drop the show or anything after just 20 minutes. I am super pumped for a show with more than just a primary/secondary Rider, since my first series was Kabuto and that had a fuckton of guys running around and being great. (Speaking of which, I also recommend not just going with W as a first series because everyone says so; take a bunch of first episodes and just give them a glance, then watch what captures your interest. I had to go through a bunch of series before settling on one that I thought would be good.)

Watching Team Gaim dance (ugh) just makes me wish JK was still around, goddamn. A whole team of JKs. Team JK :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I don't really know if you can even consider participation in the Inves Game a "job" at all, seeing as they flat out said in the dialogue that they only gave out prize money for it just recently. Like, there's no evidence that this is a sustainable income at all at this point.

I honestly don't think Kouta's sister was telling him that real jobs only = jobs with the purpose of making other people happy, just that jobs have that effect regardless of your reasoning for having it.

There's also the context of Gaim as being a sort of coming-of-age story for Kouta, as was discussed when the first episode came out, and I feel like a lot of responses to "what makes you an adult"/"what is a real job" are completely ignoring this.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 23, 2013

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Kinda off topic from the current argument, hope no one minds: I didn't catch this the first time I watched episode 3, but when I went back to watch the scene with Team Gaim vs. Team Raid Wild, I noticed that Kouta wasn't participating at all in the actual dancing—he was just sort of chilling on the sidelines watching. In a sense, you can say he joined back up with Team Gaim, but...not really. It doesn't really sit right with me that he's basically only making himself important during actual Inves fights, and was kinda irked when Mai basically pointed this out and everyone ignored her and told her to just chill.

That being said though, I did enjoy "What's up, my men?!" Kouta's pretty adorable.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I was smiling through this entire episode. I love where everything is going. :allears: They are just throwing Rider after Rider at us and I loving love it.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

We may have definitely hit the point of no return here. I was actually feeling really hopeful that Hase would live, and I felt pretty good as the episode was running...and then THE BIG FOUR showed up. I had completely forgotten they were going to show up in this episode. :smith:

This is the most excited I've been for a Kamen Rider since getting into this fandom, holy poo poo.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Apollove posted:

So, even though this episode was full on tragic, I still thought it was funny when Hase breaks into the fruit bar and turns into an Invess, while everyone is freaking out, the one fruit bar lady just calmly takes a broom from behind her and holds it like a sword.

Thank you for pointing this out, I completely missed it the first time I watched. Just for you:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

It's up now. Over-Time usually puts raws out within 24 hours, give or take.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Apollove posted:

I love how the reason the Sengoku drivers do all the "Knight of Spear" stuff is because Ryouma is just a huge dork. That's so great.

You realize this essentially means that one day he had to pull aside some random Yggdrasill shmuck who was passing by, and hand him a mic and a list of phrases saying, "Hey, I need you to do me a favor... For science, you know..."

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Friendly (audio) reminder that Team Baron is full of a bunch of tryhard losers

Seriously, every time this song comes on it's hard to not start laughing.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Every week, I think to myself "There's no way they can top that episode." AND THEY ALWAYS DO. I was literally screaming at the end there, that camera angle was crushing my soul.

Also I was secretly hoping Red Hot was just going to get destroyed there for a moment.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Rei_ posted:

Is there a huge plot hole in this episode? I thought only Armored Riders could call out inves that weren't holograms while still holding control of the Lockseed.

I kinda missed it because my listening comprehension is complete garbage, but I think the Red Hot leader mentioned something about Sid; he might've given him a modified Lockseed or something? Especially since normal Lockseeds have never shorted out before this episode, if I'm remembering right. e: Never mind, I completely forgot "Sid" and "seed" are pronounced exactly the same and Thurm is probably right. Best guess.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 2, 2014

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm sorry, did I just see two tulip Geckos perform the Heaven's Tornado finisher? Am I getting that right?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Flameingblack posted:

Especially since his backstory is his parents losing their jobs but Baron's hangout looks high class as heck and Kaito never really seems to do anything.

Seriously, have you SEEN that car they have just sitting around in their pad? Thing looks like it costs a million bucks alone.

Guys, I think Kaito might have been secretly working for Yggdrasill this whole time. :tinfoil:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

FortMax posted:

Where Widard's Blurays and DVDs had those funky idol video things, Gaim's have this:

(This is just the preview of it. Voloume 1's bonus is always the production announcement press conference)

We could have had extreme mini-biking as our show's competitive activity, but noooo, we had to get dumb CGI Invess fights and amateur dancing. :( Amateur at least until that last episode with the collaborative event, anyway.

(Yutaka Kobayashi is the greatest person outside of his Kaito role, I swear.)

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 5, 2014

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Wizard was basically Kiva all over again. Incredible suits, kickass theme and motifs, interesting introduction, completely blows a fat one by episode 10 and never quite picks it up again.

Hell, Wataru and Haruto were even identical in hairstyle and style of clothing, pretty much. The similarities go on...

Re: Kachidoki I thought the style was really dumb when they showed it in the preview for 23 (i.e. end of 22) but boy, did those feelings turn around when we got to see it in action. :allears: I was still really lukewarm on the big bulky flags sticking out until the back until OH MY GOD EXPLOSIONS AND FLAG-SPINNING

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Plus, I've never really thought of Micchy as Kouta's best friend. In the beginning he was just a forgettable background character from the dance troupe and I don't think anybody expected any important characters to come out of it (they all felt really Mobbish). Circumstances have made them closer, but he still feels more dance-buddy/supposed ally than bff.

Agreed; if anything, the show was heavily pointing to Micchy looking up to Kouta as his idealized role model (think episode 1 had Mai scolding him, and the rest of the team, to stop wishing Kouta would come back and just focus on the team as it was), and that relationship was never shown as mutual. That would only reinforce Micchy's motive to hide information about his background from people he highly respects/respected.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

This is probably my favorite episode so far. We can't be running in super-serious melodrama mode all the time; goofy episodes can be a wonderful breath of fresh air.

I did get really scared towards the end there, though :ohdear:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Fooley posted:

I can't find it in the flood of posts from people bitching how ITS SO STUPID UGH.

All this is just wonderful to me. :allears:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Someone in the comments section on Aesir's page has already cracked it. I'd suggest taking a look if you want to and avoiding it if not.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Some Numbers posted:

Micchy had a slow, steady and believable descent into shitdom. I thought he was the most interesting character in the early part of the series and I still like his character a lot. He's completely detestable, but I like how they got him to this point. I think his arc was really well written.

Micchy's actually a character I grew more "respect" (in terms of his character development, not so much actual character) for as the show went on. I despised him from the moment he came onscreen because he seemed like a two-dimensional, shallow character with a boring motivation. As the layers of poo poo grew on him, he really grew into someone who is legitimately fun to watch in motion, even if it is pretty gut-wrenching to watch him stoop to such a low level. It's a quality of drama I really wasn't expecting to come from him, and Gaim's all the better for it.

And hey, it turns out his shallowness was actually completely intentional and completely turned it on its head for me.

He's still a lil' poo poo but I hate him for very different reasons now than I used to.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Flameingblack posted:

I really really really, hate to use this word, but Micchy is a creep who's stuck in the friend zone and has the most deluded sense that he's the white knight hero that Mai is going to fall in love with. It makes him come off as so much creepier, even if there's no strong indication he has romantic feelings for Mai he still creeps a whole lot on her.

I think the word you used was pretty accurate, actually.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Lostconfused posted:

I am tempted to say that Ryouma is going to be the final boss since he is the only one that cares about becoming a "God". Seems like proper motivation for a final boss.

Did you miss the part at the end of the episode where Sid hosed up the lab and the one open crack Yggdrasill had access to, specifically to put a wrench in Ryoma's and Minako's plans, to get ahead of the game? Ryoma's not the only one who's taking this whole thing seriously.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Welp. I just got through the movie and that was probably the worst Kamen Rider thing I've ever watched.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Way to go for the low-hanging fruit with all these puns, guys.

The thing that interested me the most about this episode was how they're clearly setting up some parallels between the Overlords and the core four of the cast, with Red/Kaito and Green/Micchy (and maybe White/Takatora?). They're not subtle in the least, which makes me think they're probably gonna be a component in some future character development - Kaito's already been touched on a bit. Hope for Micchy yet? Also, are there only three Overlords or are those just the ones we've seen so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I got the feeling from the dialogue that Sagara can't be an Overlord himself - he seems to be an older being than them, someone who is of the forest rather than a being who was forced to adapt to it, like the Overlords. He was talking to Roshuo about "the rules" after all, and seemed to take a higher/more informed tone than His Majesty King Lord of All Overlords. It doesn't make sense to me that Sagara would be in a lower position.

I'm going off memory here which is admittedly fuzzy so I might be wrong: Given the color patterns so far, there's been red, green, and blue "evolved" Inves, red, white, and green Overlords, and then the four base suit colors for Gaim, Baron, Zangetsu and Ryugen. I'm thinking it's likely there will be a blue Overlord of some sort, I just don't think it's Sagara.

I think ZenMasterBullshit's point makes the most sense so far, though.

• Locked thread