Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
1. The absolute best exchange rate you can get in essentially any situation short of literally live-trading FX on a hypothetical brokerage platform with no trading costs is by using a debit card with no FX fees at an ATM. Visa/MasterCard require issuers to give you the market exchange rate on cards with no FX fees. Unfortunately, this isn't a good solution for large transfers.

2. Using a bank for foreign exchange can be good, but it can also be a rip off. Do the math as it varies bank-by-bank, and sometimes even branch-by-branch. Some services like xetrade.com, xoom.com, and usforex.com may offer better rates, but are complicated to use. Also keep in mind that FX rates at banks are typically negotiable.

3. Just wanted to see if anyone is in my situation, since it seems that most of the people have gone down the teach abroad route and not Big Corporate. I'm an American expat living in Europe working for a Fortune 500 company. My taxes are done by a Big 4 accounting firm, and I have all sorts of complicated expat benefits in terms of reimbursements, allowances, etc. So far, it has been an unmitigated disaster working with the Big 4 firm and with the relocation services provider to get my benefits set up. Are any of these relocation services companies actually good at what they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
My host country has a requirement to pay a certain amount of salary for seconded employees in local currency. It's awful, and fucks everything up.

Edit: I can't complain too much because an expat package/compensation is :krad:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Does this mean that the uplifts are basically tax free to me and I'll see an uplift of 80% of my gross?

Yes. This is what I had.

Remember that the IRS will see both the uplifts AND tax gross-ups (where required) as income, so you might lose eligibility for things like a Roth IRA.

• Locked thread