Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

My father is looking to transfer money from his US bank account to Japan. Apparently he used to be able to do so fairly easily through his bank but now can't and his financial advisor, who he had worked with for 10+ years, can no longer advise him.

He's asked for my help but I'm totally clueless. The only companies I can find for this service is Western Union and Pay Pal but I've always been sketchy of Western Union and gently caress Pay Pal.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of the best way to make these kinds of transfers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks for the help.

Just got an email from my father. Apparently the WU group his bank in the US has moved to requires that he has proof of residency in the US (name on bills, etc) in order to setup an account. This is impossible since he hasn't lived in the US in over 20 years.

There's nothing sketchy going on. He moved to Japan to teach English and has accounts both here and there. He's coming into retirement and needs to transfer funds from here to there to pay for his living expenses.

I'll look into SWIFT. Maybe that's a better way to go.

Worst case scenario is I'm a signer on his accounts here in the US. I guess I could setup the WU account and just give him the account info to make transfers as he pleases. I'd rather keep myself out of it in case there's some financial/legal ramifications I'd be responsible for.

• Locked thread