Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do you know if you are allowed to contribute to a Roth 401k while claiming the FEIE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Juanito posted:

Can you claim the foreign earned income exclusion if you live outside of the US, but you work full-time remotely for a company in the US? I've never been clear on this.
I have done this successfully twice and several others I work with have as well. We work for a US based company but spend the majority of our time on projects in other counties. I guess this doesn't really count as "working remotely" since our actual work is being done in other countries but I think you should be able to claim the FEI exclusion. The IRS allows vacation time outside the US to count toward your total 330 days so I don't see why sitting at a desk outside the US would be any different.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You can prorate your time outside the US from 2013 only after you have exceeded the 330 day requirement. So if you look at the 365 consecutive days from 9/1/13-8/31/14 and you are outside the US for 330 of those days, you can amend your 2013 returns to reflect these 3 months. If you continue to be outside the US for the remainder of 2014, you can take the full years worth of exclusion and continue taking it while you continue to meet the 330 out of 365 requirement. I did this successfully in a previous year. For me, I moved abroad in early December so I amended for about a month of tax free time.

I will say, however, that I was with the same company and receiving roughly the same pay while in the US and after moving abroad. I am not sure how it would work if you earned different amount of money while at home and abroad.

Turbotax actually works pretty well for the FEIE, it's what I've been using for the last 3 years and seems to be doing it right.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There's nothing wrong with filing now and amending later, just takes some extra work on your part. A reason you would do this is if you were due a refund for 2013 (in addition to what you'd get back from the 2013 portion of the FEIE) and didn't want to wait until next September to get it.

• Locked thread