Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So is there no way out of capital gains tax on selling some mutual funds if I live abroad? I could have sworn there was some sort of exclusion, but having a quick look at it again this afternoon that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm doing my Master's abroad and have no other income this year, will probably need to be selling stuff off early next year to pay tuition/living expenses. I know there's an exception for Roth IRA withdrawals to pay educational expenses, but my university isn't one of the ones the federal government recognises as "qualified".

With no other income, and with longterm cap gains untaxed at the lowest tax bracket, you would need to be selling a lot of mutual funds with very low cost basis shares to worry about paying substantial taxes. Take a look at how much you are selling and do a mock tax return to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread