Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
floppo
Aug 24, 2005
So I live abroad and make about 25,000 USD a year where I am. Local taxes take about a third of this. I use the foreign income tax credit and don't pay anything in the states.

I have some money in a taxable account in the US and have about $12,000 in unrealized short term gains, as well as about $3,000 in dividend income for this year. I am thinking about realizing these gains (it would be a nice chance to rebalance my portfolio as well) as, if I understood everything correctly, I would be paying relatively little in taxes. I believe I have another year of this level of income and then I may move back to the US and be in a higher tax bracket.

Or should I wait another year to take profits in order to get these as long term capital gains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread