Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zain posted:

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video. Darkseed 2 probably isn't the best example to use anyway. Even with Slowbeef and Diabetus providing commentary, asking people to watch a lovely point and click adventure game for 7+ hours is pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video.

Yeah, exactly.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, they've leaned heavily into the personality side of it. They do weekly games in Minecraft, building up new areas and playing games in them, and play multiplayer in a different couple games every week. There's the right blend of content consistency and content variety.

It works in part because they make no pretense about showing off the game or anything like that-- it's basically a comedy show played out over video games. Also, the fact that they scored the username "LetsPlay" probably helped.

I was waffling over whether to make a Rooster Teeth post, I've been watching their stuff pretty much non-stop for about a year now. They apparently secured the Let's Play channel ID long before they started actually doing these regularly, and I'd rather they have it than some random chucklefuck doing scarecam Slender LPs.

What they call Let's Plays aren't what most people would call them, being half-hour to an hour long and being more of an initial look at each game instead of a comprehensive run-through. They've started doing more traditional full-run LPs dubbed "Full Plays", but I haven't watched too many of those, since they put Michael in charge of that and what he's mostly known for is being loud and screamy. I guess it brings in the views, but eh.

There's a lot of great things about their stuff, though. As mentioned, they're closer to a comedy show than a comprehensive showing of the game, but since they're usually in multiplayer with anywhere from three to seven people it works pretty well. There aren't a ton of LPs out there with enough people to experience co-op or multiplayer with a full group, either (NSMBU a la Freelance Astronauts or Tipping Forties, for instance), and I usually enjoy that kind of chaotic experience since it feels very authentic. Despite sometimes having seven people on-mic they're actually pretty good about not talking over each other, and though any one of their "gimmicks" might be really annoying on its own (See also: Michael), when you put four or six of them together they all bounce off each other and it produces some great chemistry. Since this is their full-time job they're putting out five videos a week, and even with two of those being Minecraft it's still given me exposure to a ton of games I wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time or money to play on my own. They have a really good recording setup, professional editing, and--possibly the most important--they're all really good at video games. Not all at the same types, which is good considering how many different games they do, but Ray is professionally good at shooters and the rest of them aren't bad either. So you're never going to get a Let's Play where the person playing is just painfully bad at the game.

Overall, pretty good. Not everything they do is a hit, but they have enough output that it's pretty easy to just ignore the stuff I don't like, and if they REALLY gently caress up, they're humble and self-aware enough to admit it and make amends.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 12, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Slowbeef posted:

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

To be honest, it would be more palatable. The ring thing being a running gag seems fine, but speaking from just a watcher's perspective I heard you guys get annoyed at a lot of points because of; either the game or the long player just loving around.

TaurusOxford posted:

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video.
Oh not saying it wouldn't, but I feel like the other parts didn't help the case.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2013

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Slowbeef posted:

Yeah, exactly.

1 minute intros... ugh.

But this sort of thing happens with every video playthrough. The first video of the first minutes of a game are there for interest-checking. Some games are not interesting to some people. I have no idea why people are so confused by this. A lot of times it isn't even the video creator's fault.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Looking at a couple of playlists from Jesse Cox, it looks like that effect more or less stops after the first few videos. His War in the North videos dropped pretty quickly and then pretty much hold at about a third of the views for the first video from episode 5 onward.

Do similar patterns hold for videos from smaller channels, or posted in a forum environment like SA rather than on the wild plains of youtube?

VVV Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking it would be drastically different, but I was wondering whether it being largely an SA audience whether the drop is smaller or slower than with an audience of pewdiepie fans.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 11, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MooCowlian posted:

Looking at a couple of playlists from Jesse Cox, it looks like that effect more or less stops after the first few videos. His War in the North videos dropped pretty quickly and then pretty much hold at about a third of the views for the first video from episode 5 onward.

Do similar patterns hold for videos from smaller channels, or posted in a forum environment like SA rather than on the wild plains of youtube?

It's different from a full video LP, but the supplemental videos in my Corpse Party SSLP (which are all uploaded as unlisted on YouTube, so all the hits should be coming from here) got significantly more views in the first one or two updates than the later ones, but they eventually even out and get roughly the same number of views.

It only makes sense that it would be this way, though. People check out the first one or two updates, and if they're not interested they stop. But once you've been through five or six, you're probably invested enough to see it through to the end.

edit: contrary to this, the supplemental videos for my Okage: Shadow King LP (which are also all unlisted) all have about the same view count, from the opening cutscene to the ending cutscene. Boring RPG boss fight videos and the credits have significantly less, but that's to be expected because there's less incentive to watch them over cutscenes and stuff.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 11, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Dang, you guys update fast. While I was previewing my post, ten people posted, and by the time I was done, my post is last on the previous page. Ah well, please look up Angie Gallant if you're looking for bizarre/silly/romantic vampire games LPd by someone very entertaining.

I think Angie Gallant needs more love around here.

While I'm here talking about stuff that I already posted on the previous page, can I just post the entirety of Broken Forum's Let's Play section? Sure, the quality of LPs can be varying, but a lot of small games (indie, recent translation patch, cult favorite, fanmade, etc.) can be found. I really appreciate lesser known titles getting shown off, and the people doing let's plays are charming as well. Check it out if you're looking for something different!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Viewer retention is always going to work like this. You'll get many clicks of people curious to see if your video is something they'll enjoy or not. The views probably plateau because that's the base amount of people interested enough to continue watching and that initial spark of curious viewers left. It has gone the same for ever LP I've ever done from years ago 'til my SA LPs. It's just how it is. I'm sure we're all contributors to that initial spike of views, too. How many LPs have you watched the first update of only to confirm you aren't interested?

Edit: or I guess I was beaten :P

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

In my experience you get a huge surge of interest in the beginning of any series and then either two things happen:

1)People who like the game/commentary will stick around, but you'll lose viewers who were just showing a casual interest. Generally you'll end up leveling out in your view numbers eventually

2)You'll keep losing views after the initial wave of interest ends by a noticeable margin. The bleed never really stops and by the end you have 10 people watching where there were once 1000.

A while back I did a Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter LP that shows some 1000 views on the first video and ended with less than 100 by the last video.

By contrast, my Tomb Raider LP started with 1400 views and evened out around 400 by the end. The difference between the first and second episode in view count was nearly 400, and then another 100 every few episodes after that.

The Ghost Recon one I can understand, I was having a miserable time with that game and it shows. Tomb Raider is the LP I'm most proud of thus far not only because of the overall quality, but because people's interest in the game remained high throughout.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MooCowlian posted:

It's not just across single episodes/updates whatever, it also works within updates. I know this because I'm running an SSLP with supplementary audio files - usually four or five per update, and I've got "viewing" numbers. Not only was there a gradual drop-off of viewers after the first few updates, there's also a gradual drop-off within updates (though not as much).

Oh, wait; The same pattern doesn't seem to be holding for the Japanese audio tracks, but that may be because the viewership for those is low enough for patterns to not really be visible, and maybe also because the people interested enough to listen to those were probably already pretty likely to have a interest in the game to begin with.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hey slowbeef, I've been listening to Retsutalk since the beginning but I haven't kept up with your youtube channel at all. What are you guys particularly proud of lately so I can get back into watching your vids.

For actual content for this thread, I really enjoyed these XCOM ironman impossible videos a while back. I can't speak for the content of the rest of the guy's channel, but he did a really good job of editing out less interesting parts of his playthroughs and had some decent commentary on what he was doing. Helped me be (marginally) less terrible at XCOM anyway.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey slowbeef, I've been listening to Retsutalk since the beginning but I haven't kept up with your youtube channel at all. What are you guys particularly proud of lately so I can get back into watching your vids.

I think Ambition came out well. (Thanks again to Pinstripe Hourglass for recording it.) It's a series of flash games designed to teach you online negotiation. This particular series focuses on a main story involving a suicide bomber, a love triangle, courtroom drama, and intrigue.

It gets absolutely loving ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjCBU0daGE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I think Ambition came out well. (Thanks again to Pinstripe Hourglass for recording it.) It's a series of flash games designed to teach you online negotiation. This particular series focuses on a main story involving a suicide bomber, a love triangle, courtroom drama, and intrigue.

It gets absolutely loving ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjCBU0daGE

I actually couldn't enjoy that series and it has nothing to do with your part in producing it, it's because the actual source material is like, ricky gervais levels of uncomfortable.

If you want to watch something incredibly cringeworthy being made fun of by folks I would wholeheartedly recommend this series, as it's just... Well there's nothing else I know of that's anything like it.

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.
I still can't figure out Zapdramatic. The Negotiator series I could half-way believe were an attempt at presenting :airquote:realistic:airquote: negotiations, but Ambition starts out crazy and just gets crazier as it progresses. I would be sure it was all a joke, but they really did produce negotiation sims for the University of Windsor and their other we're-totally-serious-you-guys claims all seem to be true as well.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

For me the Harvester stuff was the funniest in a while. I think it is done apart from the second ending and some bonus stuff maybe.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Redeye Flight posted:

:words: about Rooster Teeth

I actually really love Rooster Teeth's stuff, once you remember, as you said, it's a thirty-minute comedy show with gaming as a template rather than a true Let's Play. They do some REALLY creative stuff with making their own little games and competitions in Minecraft, as opposed to the typical 'watch me build a thing while I babble non-sequiturs' that is most Minecraft LPs. They've very much got an 'orderly chaos' sort of approach to multiplayer stuff and some of their contests are genuinely fascinating from an emergent gameplay standpoint.

Their Versus series, which is a weekly 10-to-30 minute video for one-on-one competitions, is probably my favorite. The shtick is that whoever won last week is the reigning champion(represented by the cheapest replica wrestling belt they could find), and must face a round-robin-selected challenger who decides what actual game they play. Versus shows off a lot of surprisingly obscure and weird games as the challengers keep trying to up the ante to find that ONE THING the current champion sucks at. Which tends to boil down to 'Ray holds the belt for weeks at a time' because he's an actual professional gamer, but it's always fun to watch both the one-sided curbstomps and the moments of surprise clutch play.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, even if RT sway more to the personality fueled side of things, most of their content is hardly low effort and even after hundreds of halo videos it's doesn't get old in the same way that someone laying rails in minecraft for three hours does. Looking at almost anything that isn't literally a playthrough as LP is probably the wrong way to go about it. Jesse Cox and TotalBiscuit play terraria is more of a reality show riding on the back of a game than a terraria LP.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I had a whole post ready to go and suddenly Firefox decided I wanted to see tab groups, of which I ended up accidentally closing my entire set of tabs because there was actually no onscreen button to exit this view, and as a result not even being able to open the entire lot of them again! Thanks for your lovely, useless features, Firefox! Now how about some performance upgrades?

Ok, long story short! I used to get several hundred views per video, without ever prompting anyone or even advertising, or playing new games. Sometimes I even had bad keywords that would never help anyone find my videos and they still got watched! These days, my videos are invisible. Going from 500 on average, never dropping off between parts, and occasionally hitting over 10k views and higher depending on the subject, down to not even 100 each, lucky if I hit 50. Usually ended up getting more views with the obscure games, actually. Something is wrong there, and at the very least it must be the way searches are weighted, or all the OTHER search features they removed.

That said, LPs you CAN'T find are usually going to end up being the good ones, because unless you're popular, or you have connections with someone who's popular, or you're in a network, nobody sees your video. Usually, to actually get those views, you have to be the loudest person. It's basically exactly why you can't find anything good on Youtube anymore.

That said, if it isn't loud and obnoxious people, it's a bunch of talentless idiots talking poo poo about games that they're terrible at and in turn imprinting their bad taste on the minds of their viewers. I've actually just given up on finding things on Youtube that I might like, because it never goes well. That's probably why I'm here in this subforum.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think Youtube's weird searching algorithm works in reverse on rare occasions, which can make for some really funny results. I made the mistake of looking through the view counts of some of my LP playlists, but mostly because the number of comments I've received on a particular video seemed really out of whack. I have no idea why, but Youtube seems to link everyone to part 17 of my Warrior Within LP. That video, for some inexplicable reason, has 150% of the views that the first video has, and the next few after it are boosted above the ones immediately preceding it. It still gets comments from time to time, mostly along the lines of "can you make videos showing where all the health upgrades in the game are?" or the types of things you'd expect to see posted on a first video.

Still, it's part 17 that's the most popular by a factor of about eight times the average video in the playlist, and I don't understand it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

For actual content for this thread, I really enjoyed these XCOM ironman impossible videos a while back. I can't speak for the content of the rest of the guy's channel, but he did a really good job of editing out less interesting parts of his playthroughs and had some decent commentary on what he was doing. Helped me be (marginally) less terrible at XCOM anyway.

This is just the kind of XCOM series I'd been looking for. There's little better than skillful playing, informative commentary and smart :woop: editing :woop:. Such a key tool but so rarely used effectively.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Nidoking posted:

I think Youtube's weird searching algorithm works in reverse on rare occasions, which can make for some really funny results. I made the mistake of looking through the view counts of some of my LP playlists, but mostly because the number of comments I've received on a particular video seemed really out of whack. I have no idea why, but Youtube seems to link everyone to part 17 of my Warrior Within LP. That video, for some inexplicable reason, has 150% of the views that the first video has, and the next few after it are boosted above the ones immediately preceding it. It still gets comments from time to time, mostly along the lines of "can you make videos showing where all the health upgrades in the game are?" or the types of things you'd expect to see posted on a first video.

Still, it's part 17 that's the most popular by a factor of about eight times the average video in the playlist, and I don't understand it.

Youtube also sometimes has an idea what videos belong in the same group, but has trouble figuring out which is next or previous in sequence... Or sometimes just which ones are first.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Nidoking posted:

Youtube just does some really weird poo poo from time to time and there's very little explanation of it. Even the guys that run our network that talk to the reps at Youtube on a daily basis don't know most of what's going on with it and the knowledge they do have is often pieced together via trial and error.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This will always be the best Rooster Teeth video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUULIs_UWE

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Basically every video with Joel is great, but yea that's probably the best one.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I just tried searching for my own LP videos on Youtube. First, I just used the game name. Everyone else's videos of that game except mine came up on the first page of results. So I added "intro" to the search terms (as that's in the title of my first LP video); first result was some superstar's intro video of the wrong game.

Next, I appended my channel name to the search terms. Bam, my LP's playlist, first result. Maybe including the channel name makes all the difference?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I know sometimes it's hard to many different ones. I remember searching for Lollipop Chainsaw LPs a couple of months after it released, and the way youtube search looked, you'd think only three people had ever played that game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

MooCowlian posted:

I know sometimes it's hard to many different ones. I remember searching for Lollipop Chainsaw LPs a couple of months after it released, and the way youtube search looked, you'd think only three people had ever played that game.

Well you can't let anyone outside of the FIRST PEOPLE EVER to lp it into the search. (Just an assumption on my part really.)

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office
So I know the discussion so far has focused on how terrible Youtube LPs are and how terrible specific Youtube LPers are, but I'd like to throw in a couple of recommendations for two Youtube LPers who are not quite so terrible.

GetDaved Channel link

This guy LPs mainly older strategy titles, with a few RPGs thrown in (he's just finishing up an LP of KOTORII, for example). His stuff is super laid back, and he does a really good job of explaining mechanics, how the game works, and the particular strategies he's pursuing. On top of this, he lacks all the annoying shite that youtube superstars like to add - no 6 minute intro videos, no stupid facecam, no begging for subscriber views. All in all, well worth watching and possibly some of the best non-SA LPs I've seen.

PlumpHelmetPunk Channel link

If you've been watching Razage's SS13 LP and want more content, you could do much worse than checking out PHP's SS13 LPs. They're a bit hit and miss, as I get the impression he records and puts stuff up without really considering what's going on, so some videos are a bit dull, but he really knows the game and is more interested in having fun than MAXIMUM ROBUST COMBAT or any of that crap. A word of warning, though - I don't really rate his non-SS13 stuff, as he has a pretty annoying tendency to read text off the screen. He also has a kind of semi-narrative thing going on sometimes, which may or may not be your cup of tea. Either way, well worth checking out if you're enjoying Razage's LPs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Beagle generally puts a lot of work into the videos he releases, and his Dead Space 3 playthrough was pretty good, he had good chemistry with his co-op partner. I like his ARMA videos too, but those aren't really accessible to normal people. I'm just waiting for him to get back to work on the XCOM videos.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

manyleeks posted:

PlumpHelmetPunk Channel link

If you've been watching Razage's SS13 LP and want more content, you could do much worse than checking out PHP's SS13 LPs. They're a bit hit and miss, as I get the impression he records and puts stuff up without really considering what's going on, so some videos are a bit dull, but he really knows the game and is more interested in having fun than MAXIMUM ROBUST COMBAT or any of that crap. A word of warning, though - I don't really rate his non-SS13 stuff, as he has a pretty annoying tendency to read text off the screen. He also has a kind of semi-narrative thing going on sometimes, which may or may not be your cup of tea. Either way, well worth checking out if you're enjoying Razage's LPs.

PlumpHelmetPunk is pretty much the only non-SA LPer I can stand these days, and I seriously recommend him. I have to agree that he can be hit-or-miss, but for the most part he's an enjoyable and laid back commentator. Personally, I think his non-SS13 LPs are really pretty good but he does read text offscreen and his videos can get a bit long/tedious. Assuming that you can get over his occasional faults I think that you'll find his videos to be quite good.

All in all, he's a good LPer who's great to watch when you're a bit sleepy - his voice and the slight tedium make it a surprisingly enjoyable time.

fake edit: His SS13 videos are probably his best, and his best SS13 videos are fantastic.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Problem Sleuth posted:

fake edit: His SS13 videos are probably his best, and his best SS13 videos are fantastic.

I keep hoping he'll trip over Razage. But yeah, in the incredibly limited field of 'tolerable people streaming full games of SS13' that the LP recently informed me were actually interesting, he's pretty much the other option i've found.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Oh hey look, something relevant! Arin and Danny from Game Grumps are doing an AMA on reddit so, maybe that'll be interesting? Or just 100% wacky zany goofy answers, but hey, they were mentioned and it seems people are relatively easy on them as far as big time youtubers go.

Edit: Eh, turns out they're responding to a lot of questions via video response, so take that as you will. I don't have the patience to click through and wait for everyone one to load before I hear the inevitably silly answers they give.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 12, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Sundowner posted:

Oh hey look, something relevant! Arin and Danny from Game Grumps are doing an AMA on reddit so, maybe that'll be interesting? Or just 100% wacky zany goofy answers, but hey, they were mentioned and it seems people are relatively easy on them as far as big time youtubers go.

Edit: Eh, turns out they're responding to a lot of questions via video response, so take that as you will. I don't have the patience to click through and wait for everyone one to load before I hear the inevitably silly answers they give.

Woah, wait, I thought one of them was Johntron? Did something happen?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Saith posted:

Woah, wait, I thought one of them was Johntron? Did something happen?

Jontron quit a while ago.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Slowbeef posted:

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

I probably wouldn't watch through it again, but the constant repetition in that Darkseed 2 longplay gave it this hilarious subtext that something was very mentally wrong with Mike Dawson (in addition to apparently being a necrophile). Like him constantly going back to Ms Ramirez house and talking to her as if he hadn't been there just an hour prior pissing her off.

EagerSleeper posted:

I want to talk about one of my favorite Let's Players, Angie Gallant.

It's funny that you should mention her, I was working as a game tester for a certain company up until last year, and for a while she was actually our team's supervisor. She was really cool and would often promote Japanese niche stuff like those games or comedian groups like Downtown or Yoiko. When I mentioned I was part of a fansub team for Gamecenter CX (which stars one of the comedians from Yoiko), she was really surprised and said I was pretty cool.

What was funny was how much the team dug Hatoful Boyfriend after she linked that LP of it to us. Definitely one of the best supervisors I had at that job.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I'd like to recommend this ongoing Zelda: Ocarina of Time playthrough by SwordlessLink. SwordlessLink is a speedrunner (which is how I found him) who just got into doing Let's Plays, and is using them as a way to show off glitches in the game he uses for speedruns and such. So it's more like a Let's Break. His other Let's Plays show learning pains though, and are a bit of a chore to watch, but he's really hit his stride with this one. Since it's like a Let's Break, this isn't for people who don't know OOT, but for those who know OOT it's a blast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

Jontron quit a while ago.

To clarify, it's not like they fought or anything. Jon just wanted to devote more time to his own channel and those more informative videos.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I probably wouldn't watch through it again, but the constant repetition in that Darkseed 2 longplay gave it this hilarious subtext that something was very mentally wrong with Mike Dawson (in addition to apparently being a necrophile). Like him constantly going back to Ms Ramirez house and talking to her as if he hadn't been there just an hour prior pissing her off.

One of my favorite parts of that whole long play was when the long player was loving around in the mirror maze for no reason, and after ten minutes (probably only three or four, but it felt like ten!) Mike all of a sudden says "A mirror!!!"

I think that long play would really lose a lot of its charm if it was edited down to cut all that pointless meandering out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Waffleman_ posted:

To clarify, it's not like they fought or anything. Jon just wanted to devote more time to his own channel and those more informative videos.

Also he wanted to move to New York to be with his girlfriend. Not a huge deal, and both him as well as the Game Grumps channel have been putting out good quality videos ever since.

• Locked thread