Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

SUPER ASIA posted:

I think they can help out, if done well and have a consistent format. Eye-catching ones might bring in more people and that's always a good thing. My boyfriend does all the art for my show and my thumbnails generally consist of my persona cosplaying as a character from the game, with the Channel title, the game name, and an episode number. People have generally commented on really liking them, and I noticed an upswing, however small, in subscribers after I started using them. If nothing else, well done ones add just a little bit of class to the whole channel, and that's never a bad thing.

I have to ask, is this a joke post? Because I count about 5 things I would consider "wrong" with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

SUPER ASIA posted:

No, It was in no way a joke post. I don't really care for dishonesty, even intentionally, for comedy purposes. Would you share with me what you find wrong with it, please? It's always fascinating to explore and understand conflicting opinions, and it might help me improve.

-You call your channel your "show" which makes me think you're trying to claim or expect some form of legitimacy for playing video games for the internet.
-You claim to have a persona. I am a strong believer that LPs should always always always be about the game, and having a persona implies that you consider yourself to be the focus of your work and that games are just a medium to put yourself out there.
-You play cosplay dress-up with your persona. Enough said.
-Putting your channel name in thumbnails isn't a huge deal but is goofy since I don't think they are ever displayed without being right next to a link to your channel anyways. Also, see this screenshot for an example of how overbranding can be super annoying.
-I'll give half a point each to caring about youtube comments and subscriber count. Checking your subs as a means of seeing whether people are watching your stuff is cool, but using that and comments to dictate how you do things is bad bad bad because the youtube community is a sounding chamber of lovely ideas.

That was from your post. Apart from that, the fact that your username, avatar, and title are all "SUPER ASIA" makes me suspect that that is your show/channel name and that the account was made purely to advertise it. Also, I've never seen you post in a thread much less make your own, so I can guess that you find things like the three month rule and a minimum standard of quality to be too restrictive for your stuff. Sometimes I over-analyze, so I may be wrong on some of this, but that's how it comes off to me.

• Locked thread