Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPER ASIA
Apr 4, 2008

SUPER ASIA

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I think they can help out, if done well and have a consistent format. Eye-catching ones might bring in more people and that's always a good thing. My boyfriend does all the art for my show and my thumbnails generally consist of my persona cosplaying as a character from the game, with the Channel title, the game name, and an episode number. People have generally commented on really liking them, and I noticed an upswing, however small, in subscribers after I started using them. If nothing else, well done ones add just a little bit of class to the whole channel, and that's never a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER ASIA
Apr 4, 2008

SUPER ASIA

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I have to ask, is this a joke post? Because I count about 5 things I would consider "wrong" with it.

No, It was in no way a joke post. I don't really care for dishonesty, even intentionally, for comedy purposes. Would you share with me what you find wrong with it, please? It's always fascinating to explore and understand conflicting opinions, and it might help me improve.

SUPER ASIA
Apr 4, 2008

SUPER ASIA

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

-You call your channel your "show" which makes me think you're trying to claim or expect some form of legitimacy for playing video games for the internet.
-You claim to have a persona. I am a strong believer that LPs should always always always be about the game, and having a persona implies that you consider yourself to be the focus of your work and that games are just a medium to put yourself out there.
-You play cosplay dress-up with your persona. Enough said.
-Putting your channel name in thumbnails isn't a huge deal but is goofy since I don't think they are ever displayed without being right next to a link to your channel anyways. Also, see this screenshot for an example of how overbranding can be super annoying.
-I'll give half a point each to caring about youtube comments and subscriber count. Checking your subs as a means of seeing whether people are watching your stuff is cool, but using that and comments to dictate how you do things is bad bad bad because the youtube community is a sounding chamber of lovely ideas.

That was from your post. Apart from that, the fact that your username, avatar, and title are all "SUPER ASIA" makes me suspect that that is your show/channel name and that the account was made purely to advertise it. Also, I've never seen you post in a thread much less make your own, so I can guess that you find things like the three month rule and a minimum standard of quality to be too restrictive for your stuff. Sometimes I over-analyze, so I may be wrong on some of this, but that's how it comes off to me.

These are all fair points and I respect your views. However, you are incorrect on every assumption you have made about me. I call my channel my 'show' because it's just the word I use. I seek no legitimacy from strangers and can't imagine why I would. I use a persona in part because I started LPing as a way to get used to talking (spent a large potion of my life not speaking, and developed some hangups, adopting a persona makes it easier to distance myself from that and speak to other people, especially since it is recorded and not in person.) the cosplaying stuff is just to be fun/cute/endearing.

I suppose the channel name is really just a matter of opinion one way or the other, and I can absolutely understand your point of view without devaluing my own. As for youtube comments, I care because a lot of my subscribers are/have become personal friends of mine and I value their thoughts and want to include them in the channel. I believe games are about having fun at heart and bringing other people into it in inclusive ways builds a community around that fun, making it better for everyone. Incidentally, Super Asia is not my channel name and has nothing to do with it, nor would I advertise my channel here. I do take my video and audio quality seriously (It's not perfect, but I always try to improve it) and I think the three month rule is rather smart and solid. I don't think I've even LPed a game newer than six months.

Sorry for going way off topic in the interests of honesty, I'll bring it back around by offering you Splattercat (http://www.youtube.com/user/SplatterCatGaming) Who is likable because they are smart, funny, and verbose. they sometimes go of on tangents but it's nice to have a Youtube LPer that isn't a shrieking stupid howler monkey. He mostly does indie games and has an endearing voice which only helps. His sound quality is also very good.

I'll also recommend Das24860 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680) a friendly Englishman who does mostly strategy titles. He's actually pretty good at the genre and has a nice voice. I am always in the nice voice/audio camp, if the person has a terrible mic or a really irritating voice, I can't watch, no matter how good their channel is.

• Locked thread