Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Idle Thumbs are a small group of guys in the videogame industry who do a pretty well respected podcast. It's very good but often they found themselves not having much shared game experiences so before recording a podcast they decided to stream a game together just to give them something they could all talk about. They then uploaded these streams (and podcasts) up the ol' youtubes.

These streams include;
The delightful Super Pole Riders, a game combining Pole Vaulting and soccer.

"Look at that Sun!"; a three video rampage through Farcry 2. These videos reminded me of the Freelance Astronauts in humour and energy.

The real draw for me though is the Epic of Ragnar, a video blind LP of Crusader Kings 2. You know, the game that's literally just looking at a map of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East that's rather complicated for beginners. It shouldn't work, it's a terrible idea. It's fantastic. The stream chat helps them with certain aspects but the players never rely on the chat, making their choices for good or bad. They get into the narrative and without overtly trying that much weave a funny and engaging story of gardening, conquest and wife murder.

Idles on Twitch.

Scott Manley
Scott, the Scottish-American and fellow goon is best known for his EVE Online and Kerbal Space Program videos. He really does some impressive stuff. I've only watched his KSP vids and he really is rather good both at the game and presenting it. Dude understands editing out tedious poo poo so we can get all the action as he sets up a 100% reusable space program (sadly ends due to bugs) or a manned mission to Kerbals version of Venus that involves landing a mobile lab, a submarine and a return launch vehicle for his four brave heroes. He's funny, capable and very knowledgeable on Astrophysics.

I know most of you will likely know the next two links already but gently caress it, if you don't, you should;
Giant Bombs Endurance runs. GB's Quick Looks and Endurance Runs are their big draw after the Bombcast. The QL's tend to be very good and well produced. There's a thread in Rapidly Going Deaf which has a list of must watch QLs.
Onto the ER's. Where QL's are half hour to an hour long the Endurance Runs go for the whole game, just like a real, grown up LP. They're usually blind or as close to blind that it makes no difference but they tend to move at a good pace. The first was Persona 4, run by Vinny and Jeff. They have a great chemistry and the game itself is great fun so it's easy to enjoy. My only warnings are that they don't cut out grinding but they keep the banter going so it's not bad and it's pretty long (over 100 hours).
The second was the dual Runs of Deadly Premonition by team Vinny and Jeff and team brad and Ryan. Vinny and Jeff probably have the funnier run and finish a bit faster but Brad and Ryan are still worth a look. If you enjoyed SuperGreatFriends LP I'd still say this is worth a look so you can see just how hard this game can be to non-experienced players.
Most recently Patrick Klepek and Ryan Davis ran Chrono Trigger. Less "laugh a second" than previous ER's it's still very good.
If you become a subscriber then check out Backflips and Bioforge as well.

Finally the gamespot twitch channel. Just watch any of the Randoms Encounters you can. Danny's start to finish run of VVVVVV is great, the stream of streams inception madness that was Salty Bet is also bananas. The real treasure though is Danny reading you Hatoful Boyfriend, a.k.a The Pigeon Visual Novel. The game is actually kind of funny in a weirdly dumb yet charming way and Danny handles it with fitting levels of confusion and moderate contempt. My only complaint is that he has a facecam, less a scarecam and more a "what the gently caress did I just read?" cam. It's a minor flaw but he has an Irish accent to make up for it.

I feel really recommending a bunch of Blind LPs and ending on a "The guy just reads everything off the screen" which are normally horrible but these folks really do it well thanks to great personalities, production values and enthusiasm.

Popo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I will take this chance to link to the SDA's youtube channel.
It holds a mix of footage from straight speedruns, no commentary or other fluff to videos from the charity events that have live commentary, an audience and someone reading off donations. You can find the 40 second glitch run of Harvest Moon or the 7 hour + run of Final Fantasy XII.
Some runs are kind of lackluster in commentary but runs like Amnesia: Dark Descent are pretty amazing, not unlike SwordlessLinks videos, with the runner explaining how glitches work, why X glitch is fast but Y glitch is just showy fun.

The dudes do speedruns partly as a contest and show of skill but also for the same reason folks here do LPs; they want to show off a game they're interested in.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Slowbeef posted:

Can you give us an example where you think it works particularly well?

Danny O'Dwyer read-along of Hatoful Boyfriend and it's sequel probably tick the box. It's also one of the rare cases I think face-cam worked since he just uses it on occasion to flash surprised or confused expressions without going "WELL THAT SURE IS WACKY!" it helps that the game is, to me, pretty drat funny.

• Locked thread