Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I'm not sure if they have any major benefits, but I've used a few occasionally just to either replace it with official artwork and/or prevent anyone from getting spoiled via related videos and the like. It seems to work pretty well for that if nothing else.

Now, the other use for them that I've seen (i.e. someone's face making a "wacky" reaction over a random arbitrary colour)? Yeah, I got nothing for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

I think the problem with this system is that the Content ID also flags the video immediately. The reason solution here is to require copyright holders to flag the videos themselves. The Content ID would still locate the videos, but it would forward them to a cue the copyright holder could review.

Let's be honest; in the vast majority of cases, this would not change a thing. There might be one or two exceptions that actually check (even then probably not every case) but a good 99% would just rubber stamp everything.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think you can credit him about France when the map has a big old Eiffel Tower on it.

My favourite part about that is the first thing he said relating to it was something about looking for the flag of Paris.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Maremidon posted:

What are the best Silent Hill LPs offsite or onsite? Voice commentary or subtitles are both fine as long as the atmosphere is semi-preserved. I just realized I've seen LPs of most of the newer games, but I haven't seen any of the original 4.

You've probably seen it already since it's a relatively newer game, but I'd have to say that Kamoc's LP of Homecoming is far and away the best one I've seen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

slowbeef posted:

"Let's Play" is something that we started here on SA. Adam Sessler made a video where he think everyone should abandon the name 'let's play' altogether (which I think is completely ridiculous.)

I'm not sure if I agree that it's completely ridiculous, though I don't think absolutely everyone should abandon the name either, because what you name something can influence how people perceive it in a way. Like, the one thing I've noticed is that Pewdiepie, for example, doesn't call any of his videos a "Let's Play" (or if he does, it's not immediately obvious) so that removes some expectations of what to expect.

The only thing really relevant to this that I can think of offhand is a video I found in maybe 2008/9ish - it was long, long before PDP, Tobuscus, DSP etc. were all names people in places like this would recognise at least - on Viddler where the person who did it called it a "Talkthrough" instead of an LP because he didn't want to be associated with this site. I doubt that I'll be able to find that particular one any more, but even though on a fundamental level its a similar concept (if we boil it down to the basics of a video of playing a game while talking about it in some way), a name change to something like that creates different expectations of what the video will contain and be about.

I guess the problem really is what to call things that don't really fit into either category neatly. I'm aware most just skirt the issue entirely by calling the stuff
"[name] Plays" instead, which works well enough for what it's used for I guess.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

slowbeef posted:

No, he has quite a few called Let's Play (Heavy Rain, Bully, some others). Search "pewdiepie let's play" on YouTube. Keep in mind, videos can be tagged "lets play" so they come up in the search. Maybe you mean he stopped doing it recently?

I was mostly on about the video names, yeah, since that's the only thing that's actually visible now. Looking again, PDP definitely wasn't the best example because he's really, really inconsistent about what he calls stuff it seems.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Toby is the one that has the sweet deal with Cartoon Network, how the hell is PDP making more than sombody with corporate backings?

PDP has corporate backings too, although probably not directly and certainly more recently. Disney now own Maker which are the people who employ PDP.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

valkhorn posted:

I'm in the public spotlight

In the incredibly loose sense that any random dude on the street is, yes. Maybe 40ish views at most on a Youtube video does not the public spotlight make, mate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RSCNyx posted:

Do comments actually affect search rankings? Or is it the hope that "word of mouth" will help spread the video to more people?

I dunno if they still do or not, but I think that comments used to be one of the things that have an influence on related videos and the like.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, for a strange comparison there's a SGF wiki. And I'm pretty sure it's goon-run for some bizarre reason. Either way, PDP having one is significantly less out there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I could replace all the words "facecam" with "YouTube" in this post and end up with the LP subforum five years ago.

I don't remember youtubes being a youtube monetisation superstar thing 5 years ago. :saddowns:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Considering Disney also employ Jontron, and still do unlike Pewds, it's probably the former; they only care when it has a chance to impact them in some way. Jon isn't anywhere near as popular as Felix, so the chance of any backlash is much smaller and even if it did happen, they might still not care considering he like had an interview in Breitbart and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Leal posted:

My mind is boggled that the guy legit bought a Jim Sterling tshirt and donated a dollar to his patreon to prove that Jim did business in Arizona.

Considering the popcorn thing was also in the brief for the 100 Steam Users with the reasoning that it counts as libel because it is what people say when, and this IS almost verbatim what Romine wrote, they "gangbang their target" I'm more surprised that he put that much thought into fabricating evidence.

I am not at all surprised that he misunderstood what minimal contacts are, though. :v:

• Locked thread