Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Really didn't expect to see that. wow. And that's supposed to be a dating sim?

Doseku fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I have a question. Does something like fan finder actually work? From what was said earlier by Valkhorn who is currently the only metric I have, It seems to work at least subscriberwise. But then I noticed the disparity between his subscriber amount and view count for most of the videos.
So i'm wondering if anyone else has used the youtube fan finder and if it is a common thing that you would get more subscribers but then not have really any of them watching your stuff.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I tried watching some of dsp's videos after seeing the vice city one that was posted earlier. When I compared one of his videos of a game that both he and Markiplier were doing doing I found that I enjoyed markipliers playthrough of the game better. I really didn't want to not like the guy based of what was said here but his videos aren't really that enjoyable to me. and that's about as impartial as I'm going to get with the guy.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One of the things he mentions is that he can't lower his resolution because and has to stream that high because he's also recording it for youtube. I guess he's unaware that some some programs actually allow you to stream in one resolution while recording locally at a different better one.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
They way you guys hyped up the sanctions I almost expected the message to be a bit more threatening sounding. Something along the lines of "You will experience certain......Sanctions"

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It might not be so bad. It's not like they can turn it into the Silent Hill movies. I would worry though if it gets slapped with a pg-13 rating though. suspense/horror doesn't tend to do well with that kind of rating outside of Coraline. Plus it would be fun to see hollywoods take on it as long as they follow the source just a tiny bit. It would certainly be boring if it was an hour and a half of a security guard sitting in a room looking at monitors.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The way I read it is that it's going to be like twitch where each channel would have their own subscription. Which is insane with a min $10 just to see a channels videos. I of course could be wrong and they could be going the Netflix route where you don't get any content unless you have a subscription.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
What I'm wondering is what the heck is Jack Thompson doing in it. I could have sworn he was less about Social Justice and way more about making up lies about violence in videogames he's never played or at least making certain games seem way worse than they actually are.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So there has been some talk about youtube and their subscription service.
I thought I would bring up that this kind of system already does exist.
It's called Twitch Turbo and essentially works the same way youtube wants theirs to work. For simple $9.99 a month you get the ability to watch streams ad free and it pays for invisible ads which basically means that even though you don't see the ad as a turbo user, twitch will still treat it like you have.
If you don't have have turbo you still get the ads.
Of course channel subscriptions are a different beast and aren't covered by turbo.
But it's a good model that seems to be working for them and it may be what youtube is trying to achieve.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 28, 2015

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
But he's right the 0 views means that noone has viewed the playlist. It does not reflect viewcount on the video itself.
Still though. What would make someone cut off the video at the 30 second mark? Did he misplace a comma and think they videos were actually 30 minutes each?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

BMS posted:

In light of the new retsupurae, I'm curious if anybody has seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba6B_I5Wapo

So...what. Does this guy have Navigtr held hostage in his house forcing him to do this or something?

So I decided to look at some more of the channels videos and The Duke Nukem impersonator is indeed a character who shows up more than once. There's an "Interview" video that has him "interviewing" George woods and I have no Idea what the heck is going on.
The last video that the two show up together in is one that supposed to allow you to make your own George Wood review. Basically the gist of the video is that George Wood reads off a list of words and you use his sound bites to create your own video game review.
As a sidenote from what I read of the comments noone likes the duke nukem impersonator.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Vookatos posted:

That's the only one of their videos I watched, and actually it isn't so bad. I couldn't stand the guy's voice, but there's actually some interesting stuff and it ignores the whole Giygas fetus crap. I guess it was before all the "Is Bowser actually a nazi?" bullshit.

I'll admit to liking some of Game theorie stuff. Don't really like Gaijin Goomba though. As far as FNAF theories went Game Theories series on those were alot better than the ones that were done by 8-bit gaming. Matpat does do youtube livestreams every once and a while but I tend to stay away from that.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Leal posted:

What has Richard Gamingo been up to lately?

I wish I could tell you. I played a few games with him in the past and he seemed pretty cool but I haven't heard from him in over a year now. Last thing he talked to me about was asking If I could ask Lowtax to unban him.
Since then it's been like poof, he just disappeared, his channel seems to be gone and his facebook hasn't had an update since 2014 and he certainly hasn't been on steam. Hopefully he's doing well wherever he is.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Serves digital homicide right. They had it coming.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Let's not forget that he has had chances to get out of this mire that he put himself in. But he has a habit of burning his viewerbase by either insulting them or not following through with the patreon awards. So if he were to get a larger base he wouldn't be able to hold onto them for very long.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Vindictive enough to sue over 100 steam users for critizing his games while in the middle of an ongoing lawsuit.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It may be due to the Machinima thinking that since his viewer retention is so bad on the longer videos that perhaps people will actually watch the shorter versions instead.
Heck Phil does at least acknowledges that people aren't watching his stuff and went so far as to suggest that it may be due to his format of showing raw video, but then refuses to change the way he does things because although the times changed he refuses to do what most other people
do and actually edit because the raw playthroughs is what put him on the map and what people know him for.

It gets even sillier when he says that the larger youtubers tend to cut out the boring parts and leave the interesting stuff in but that somehow does the game a disservice because you aren't seeing everything the game has to offer.

In short no matter what he does he is going to fail in the long run because he refuses to adapt himself. If anything he should at least try what Machinima recommended and see what that does. I mean they are a large network of youtube gamers and just maybe have an idea of what might work for his
channel.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So he decided that their idea of him shortening his videos were so horrendous that he had to leave them? Although it's more likely because they aren't being very much help with his current youtube issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
His vlog channel has at least two loot crate unboxing so I think he already went in for the craze. I don't know how much it netted or helped him though.

• Locked thread