Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Scare cams, I guess, give a human element to the voice you're listening to? It's still really dumb, and the first time I recall ever seeing a scare cam would but on a show called FEAR which was like late 90s-ish? It's like the same idea: Make people scared have these cameras for reaction shots. It'll either be really funny or really scary because you can SEE and FEEL how frightened they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

The way I use them is to accent something I want people to see like the Mighty No 9 video I made. Since no other video really has a custom thumbnail or whatever it should tend to stand out more and was hopefully going to get more people to support that game.

Though I guess it just shows more effort has been out into the video if you can edit a picture together.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 10, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

I think Phil is ... you know I've ragged on him a lot, so lemme temper that.

I don't think he's doing it for that reason, per se. He just doesn't seem to get certain things. He asks "why aren't people watching subsequent videos of my series?" and even I can tell you it's because views always drop off after video 1, almost as a rule. Even our more popular stuff (Darkseed 2, for example) - the first video always does way better than the others.

So, while he probably wants his views and subs to go higher, I don't think he has a firm grasp on how to do that. He probably knows on some level GTA5 will bring him more views, but I don't know that he does it for that sake specifically. You'd also think he'd realize "don't be a dick to your fans" would go a long way too.

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

To be honest, it would be more palatable. The ring thing being a running gag seems fine, but speaking from just a watcher's perspective I heard you guys get annoyed at a lot of points because of; either the game or the long player just loving around.

TaurusOxford posted:

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video.
Oh not saying it wouldn't, but I feel like the other parts didn't help the case.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

I know sometimes it's hard to many different ones. I remember searching for Lollipop Chainsaw LPs a couple of months after it released, and the way youtube search looked, you'd think only three people had ever played that game.

Well you can't let anyone outside of the FIRST PEOPLE EVER to lp it into the search. (Just an assumption on my part really.)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

I stole a page from Chip Cheezum and did "Reading ends after" callouts to see how it works. AitD is actually a pretty short game it turns out.

Honestly, though, these are still nowhere near the LPs done by Malorie... maybe I should advertising those in them. I never really gave a lot of thought to wrongpuraes outside of "they are fun to do" until now.

Actually it's a trend with a lot of old games I've noticed. Games are really short if you know exactly what you're doing. Probably why the Done-Quick (Not sure what that speed runner groups goes by) guys do what they do.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Dartigan posted:

I'm curious to see if any other Goons get the same impression as me to this video. Is it just me or does Markiplier's commentary sound a whole lot like a homeless drunk ranting on a street corner in this vid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIU6V8MvNS8

I'm more surprised there's a loving FACE CAM FOR THIS! Like seriously why even do that at this point? It's like doing a face cam while wearing a mask. What's the loving point?

Zain fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 12, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just makes me sad rear end-hats like that are the ones that'll "Show off" the Oculus Rift. Something like that will be the first exposure people will get. By the end of the video I got motion sick from him cocking his head like a spazz.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Sundowner posted:

It's a shame Spookin' With Scoops over on GiantBomb is premium-sub only content because it's doing a drat fine job of convincing me of purchasing the Oculus Rift where nothing else has convinced me thus far.

There was one a while back that had the creator and like two I guess game reviewers or something. They did like a run of the prototype which was amazing. Made me happy Valve is pretty much running with the Oculus Rift stuff.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Princess Sheepy posted:

I could've sworn DSP said "I don't know what the United Kingdom is" instead of "I don't know where the United Kingdom is". Even he can't be that dumb, right?

When I was in retail... Someone asked what the UK in a shoe's tongue meant. I can't even make this poo poo up. I said "Oh that's what this shoe's size would be considered in the United Kingdom." She looked confused and said "Is that like the United States." I couldn't say a loving word otherwise I would have just laughed in her face. Still not sure how I got out of that one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What are they considering promoting Xbox One? Would this be considered promotion? Cause if so I'll just need 700 more views for 3 bucks! Wooo! :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nidoking doesn't have poo poo on me. Microsoft give me all your money instead.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RSCNyx posted:

Well, this exists. I don't really know why it does, but there you go.

If you survive beyond the first minute, you're stronger than most.

I don't know what's more annoying, the fact that he did all these pop culture edits into the video "Hey guys isn't 300 still funny!", or the fact that they're lasting WAY too long. At least if you're going to do stupid rear end edits know how to use timing properly.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I feel bad...for Washington state.

I don't know... They seem to fit each other.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

watho posted:

Cr1tikal's videos are extremely hit or miss but I found that this one had some funny moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoftImSXgmI

I want this game so bad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

ReturnOfFable posted:

I have never played any of the Souls series and after seeing how crazy the fanbase is, I probably won't. Doesn't even look like I am missing much to be honest.

Fanbases suck for sure, but the Souls games are part of this extremely rewarding system of a game that punishes you for being cocky.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

my dad posted:

So, Youtube subscribed me to an LPer who I have never heard of before, never clicked on any of his videos, and certainly didn't click the subscribe button. What's the deal with that?

You didn't know you wanted to subscribe until they took the initiative for you.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

TheMcD posted:

The Wizardchan thing was a while back. It came and went, and when the ex-boyfriend's rant came up, some people went "wait, isn't she that one that did that Wizardchan thing?" and then things went from there.

At least I think that's the ultra-rough timeline.

More to it than that, like integrity of a few games journalist and such she's had a relationship with. If we actually ignore the two ends of the extreme people there is a real serious allegation here. It's not like we haven't seen this sort of thing before. Remember Gamespot and the whole reason why Giant Bomb exists. The problem is you'll only hear the extremes talk about the extremes and so it's hard to find the truth because if you defend her you're then "Someone she's slept with." If you chastise what she's done then you're "Afraid of woman and a misogynist." People tend to let their emotions get the best of them in these sorts of situations and so real discourse over the real issue cannot be had.

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 21, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think anything to do with games journalism could possibly be extreme enough to warrant unending sexual harassment, so there's really not a "two sides to the issue" argument to be made here. Her personal life is her personal life and didn't need to be dragged out into the open to any degree.

What? really? I wouldn't have ever guessed that! Of-course not. Nobody here is defending that at all. Nobody with common sense would defend that. Thus the whole Extremes part of everything.

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 21, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

slowbeef posted:

That's the thing; of the five people mentioned, one worked at Kotaku and actually never reviewed Depression Quest (a free game, mind, so it's not even a money play). In fact the Kotaku guy even mentions planning to sue the dude who brought all this up for breach of journalistic ... ... I can't finish that but whatever.

The problem is she's become so hated (I guess for SJW stuff), that it's hard to pick apart what's real and what isn't. As far as I can tell, the "screwed guys for good reviews" thing is actually 100% false.

Unless I'm missing something, in which case I'm happy to hear it.

Now people are saying her doxxing/harassment stuff is fake, but I can't find anywhere that says "yeah, here's something that casts doubt on that" other than "she seems weird/I don't like her/the guys at wizardchan wouldn't do that."

Apparently, she screwed over some other game jam and that has merit to it, but I don't know what that has to do with this ex-boyfriend guy outside of "the weak point is exposed; dogpile!"

Yeah, that's why this is so hosed on a number of levels. Like at this point what really is the truth and what really is false.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Not to take sides here, but Stux have you forgotten about Gamespot and why Giant Bomb even exists?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Stux posted:

You mean giant bomb, the site made up of a bunch of dudes who knew each other from gamespot and got hired because they were friends? And who went and recently hired two more industry vets in their newest round of hiring? Giant bomb are great and definitely try and do stuff differently to most sites to avoid issues like that but you can't pretend they don't also fall foul of the same stuff, its systemic.

Okay, you're just grasping at straws. Here's the Wiki for it Not sure if you realize that it's owned yes by a former gamespot employee that was fired because he didn't give Kayne and Lynch a great score despite the site being payed heavily for a good score. Hence the name Giant Bomb. Of-course you're going to start a business with your friends when you start out. It's not unheard of when friends go into business with eachother. They're at the very least the most transparent gaming journalist site there is.

Not saying there isn't a problem with Games Journalism because that would be a lie and would mean that I'm an ostrich with my head in the sand. But ignoring that THINGS LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE is just pure ignorance. Is journalism corrupt? Yes all forms of journalism is extremely bias and bullshit, but I'm not talking about that but an event where people tried to buy their way to the top. (Sex can be a form of buying if this allegation is true.) Could the Joe thing be the straw that broke the camel's back yeah I'd go so far to say this could be that specific catalyst.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Stux posted:

I just said GB are probably the best we've got of big review sites? It doesnt meant they don't also fall foul of the same stuff though.

Yeah its definitely the "straw that broke the camels back" despite this being an issue for nigh on a decade, its just a total coincidence its about a woman having sex who has previously been harassed you are totally correct, also those guys going mad over the mighty no 9 thing were also just caught in a horrible coincidence and were totally not being sexists yes.

So you're just going to ignore that things like this have happened before in gaming and just sticking to your guns? Okay, fair enough, have fun.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Angrymog posted:

That loving Woody Woodpecker laugh. I made it abotu 3 minutes into the video because of that.

Pretty much the same... If that's intentional what the gently caress! If it's just a tick it's annoying.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Figure I'd be apart of this and share some drama. I'm cross posting this from the Dota2 Thread. Basically shadey poo poo may or may not be happening in the world of GAME CASTING. One of them being Tobi trying to get exclusivity on a gig and the other being CyborgMatt being completely chill with it until he didn't get his way on something. Something about not having mod privileges in the join dota twitch. Which is silly but also equally skeevy to let this sort of thing slide.

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

edit: And, as more evidence she doesn't play the games, she listed Bayonetta's only pro as being a single mom which is not true at all I don't think.

She isn't at all. I don't know if you want spoilers, but that child is not hers at all.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Trying to find a decent LP of Five Nights at Freddy's to see what it's like. After skipping past everything with a fake-scared/angry LPer with terrible facial hair staring at me from the thumbnail, this was the only one that was acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq4IQVos58

Oh man this guy is always funny. Not even sure why.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

"Help wanted. Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Fa--all right I'll go gently caress myself."

I gotta wonder if he scripts this poo poo out or if it's on the fly. Cause his sardonic tone and delivery really make it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Roar posted:

This is the first video I've seen of this and I have changed my opinion of the game from "want" to "gently caress that, I'm good without Pop Scare Simulator 2014"

This guy is always pretty great though.

Well I'm not much for defending horror games cause they are pop scare bullshit, but it's more of a resource management game with "scurry" elements.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Cheez posted:

But isn't that fair use? What are people even arguing about? They'd say it was fair use any other time, but now?

Not when you've made money off of it/didn't give them any credit. Pretty sure Fair Use doesn't cover money involved.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Dias posted:

Well, she didn't make money from the videos, right? She got money to make the videos, but the content isn't monetized as far as I'm aware. Plus, LPers complaining about using someone else's product to make money is kinda silly...

Look, DSP spelled it out really clearly. He owns the rights because his playthroughs are unique to him and thus owns the content in it.

But on the topic of fair use and parody. Dumb Starbucks which is a fine line of a mess.

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 27, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What just even happened?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

Word up, my home skillets.

I never once thought that phrase would be spoken unironically. :negative:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is that Picollo's voice actor?

I must see this anime, ironically of course.

Cromartie is actually really good. Unironically

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Attestant posted:

Context is that he finished Dark Souls 2 when a lightning based build was very strong in PvE, but was later heavily nerfed. And the boss itself is a reskin of an earlier boss, that he had major issues with.

Yeah they were going to fix it, and never did it. I sorta agree with him that it's lovely that they haven't fixed that bug.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

PAMaster posted:

Heyo, it got nerfed?! Now I can play through without resorting to cheap tactics from lack of self-control!

I mean I have absolutely no time for that right now but that's still good to hear.

No, what they were supposed to nerf was the number of uses while buffing the damage, but right now Sunlight spear is doing like 190 damage max. That's not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Jsor posted:

Did he? Good for him then, I wasn't aware! (I mean that in earnest)

For a while, but I understand he went back to them.

• Locked thread