Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

The Evil Thing posted:

I think, on the Right, there is a perception that there is a double standard at play. Certainly on places like Twitter, there are plenty of comments that XYZ is "too white" or has "too many white people", and if that's your environment, and impression of the Left, you're going to start projecting that onto news articles and other mainstream opinions.

Anyway, I think the main disconnect going on is that the Left sees race as... well... genetics, but the Right quite often uses and sees race as a shorthand to culture, which is what it's principally concerned with. Nine times out of ten, when someone on the Right criticises Muslims, what they really object to is the culture that is spreading through the Middle East. What's more, the further from the centre you go, the more likely you are to see people who think race and culture are inextricably linked, which is literally why white supremacists are still a thing--whites built the entire Western world so why wouldn't they be the best race? (Although I think some white supremacists think Asians are even better, given the Asian nations' astonishing pace of industrialisation.)

The Left's problem is that it projects white supremacist thought patterns onto the moderate Right. I get it--being outraged about something literally gives you a dopamine rush, but it's extremely unhelpful for actual cogent political debate. The Right, for its part, needs to stop using such sloppy rhetoric and stop assuming that everyone knows what they mean and that the Left is just disingenuous.

Since we're talking about Steve King, note that when asked to walk his statement back, he doubled down, but did make it clear he was talking about culture, not race/genetics.

Sorry if this post is boring, but I'm getting a bit sick of seeing everyone getting called a white supremacist, since it cheapens the term and makes it less powerful.

The moderate right has no idea what it wants because there's no coherent "moderate right" position. There're the restrictionists, the "let's be like Canada and use a points system!" people, the temp worker fans, etc. etc. But they have a hard time avoiding being tarnished by the white supremacists because they keep working with people, like Steve King, who have a strong habit of conflating race and culture in a way that's at best insulting to everyone outside the circle of people who agree with them, and at worst is basically repeating white supremacist talking points with a veneer of "but the culture!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread