Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Discussion of the popular LPers like Game Grumps or Two Best Friends Play tends to get relegated to the Internet Critic thread in RGD, so I assume this is the "preferred" thread to talk about them.

On the topic of the latter, while it seems like he figured out to stop getting personally involved with this stuff, it still really put me off that Matt used the producer channel to harp on Anita Sarkeesian because she criticized some games he likes. While I've watched a few of their recent videos, it still really bothers me since it confirms his pervert "shtick" is totally sincere.

It really shouldn't be difficult to keep your own personal politics separate from your videos, especially when they're your meal ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Slowbeef posted:

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

I probably wouldn't watch through it again, but the constant repetition in that Darkseed 2 longplay gave it this hilarious subtext that something was very mentally wrong with Mike Dawson (in addition to apparently being a necrophile). Like him constantly going back to Ms Ramirez house and talking to her as if he hadn't been there just an hour prior pissing her off.

EagerSleeper posted:

I want to talk about one of my favorite Let's Players, Angie Gallant.

It's funny that you should mention her, I was working as a game tester for a certain company up until last year, and for a while she was actually our team's supervisor. She was really cool and would often promote Japanese niche stuff like those games or comedian groups like Downtown or Yoiko. When I mentioned I was part of a fansub team for Gamecenter CX (which stars one of the comedians from Yoiko), she was really surprised and said I was pretty cool.

What was funny was how much the team dug Hatoful Boyfriend after she linked that LP of it to us. Definitely one of the best supervisors I had at that job.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Waffleman_ posted:

To clarify, it's not like they fought or anything. Jon just wanted to devote more time to his own channel and those more informative videos.

Also he wanted to move to New York to be with his girlfriend. Not a huge deal, and both him as well as the Game Grumps channel have been putting out good quality videos ever since.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Rocketlex posted:

So whenever the subject of off-site LPs comes up, I always can't help but bring up "Video Games Awesome!"

I don't really watch them, though it's worth linking this amazing audio bug they ran into while livestreaming Ducktales Remastered. It's probably one of my new favorite game bugs.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Slowbeef posted:

Honestly, though, these are still nowhere near the LPs done by Malorie... maybe I should advertising those in them.

That LP holds a special place in my heart, particularly for having this amazing bit of fanart:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation (as well as these forums) actually does LPs with a buddy of his, which are posted to this channel. They mainly do old obscure adventure games, which provide some pretty great commentary just for them regaling about how terrible the genre could get back then.

Plus you get to hear him totally lose his composure over grade-school profanity.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

JordanKai posted:

Game Grumps playing a game on the OUYA.

I've dealt with a lot of stupidity from these guys but I think this is the final straw. I'm unsubscribing. :newlol:

You're unsubscribing because they're playing the one game on the Ouya that's actually considered good?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
My god, I should have known. By tomorrow's episode, the transformation will be complete, and we'll hear two Julie Uhrmans talking about how great the Ouya 2 will be.

e: And they'll still get lost trying to play Sonic '06.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 21, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Honeydew of Yogscast actually still posts around here every once in a while, so there's that.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If you can't get enough of Minecraft videos, they do constantly put out new content that's at least relatively well edited. But if you're as burnt out on Minecraft in general as I am, there's not much there other than a couple of quirky YouTube personalities.

That moment when their original Minecraft series suddenly turned into a bizarre RPG adventure was legitimately great though, just because neither of them seemed to have any idea of what was going on.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Slowbeef posted:

:siren: YouTube LPs are in danger! :siren:

...(shrug) Apparently a buncha LPs are being hit with 3rd party copyright claims so people can't make that cash money anymore.

Sounds like a few third-party companies have been circumventing the publishers entirely in reporting these videos.

quote:

Certainly, some games companies are angry about the situation. Capcom tweeted today that it would be "investigating flags not instigated by us." A spokesperson for Deep Silver told Polygon that the company had nothing to do with flags that had been sent out based on its games. "We definitely don't want YouTubers to have to deal with this," she said. "We aren't sure really where these claims are coming from but we never want to block YouTubers from having fun with any of our games. We've already been looking into what we can do for the past day since this first went down and we'll be getting together tomorrow first thing in the morning to try and unravel it some more to find ways to help."

I don't think we're seeing The End of YouTube LPs As We Know It, and considering that it's still cheap advertising for those publishers, I doubt they'll just start cracking down on it now.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Highwang posted:

It'll be interesting to see where this goes at least. I know people like 2BFP and Northernlion don't actively rely on this for their daily income, but from what I recall DSP and Gamegrumps are entirely dependent on this ad revenue. I'm also curious if the LP "bubble burst" will have a positive effect on the non-SA community overall since the illusion of the get-rich-quick scheme will be gone so most people's motivations will probably fade as well.

At the end of the day, you'll probably still get the flood of people who want to be e-popular like those internet critics and LPers. The added bonus of a revenue stream just exacerbated that somewhat.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It kind of felt like Jon was getting burnt out on doing the show for the last few months he was there, which would explain all the boring white-noise episodes that released around that time where they just walked around aimlessly in-game while talking about a movie they saw the other day.

I'd say things have really improved ever since the changes. They recently started doing a board game series that's pretty fun, especially since Suzy is constantly moving things along whenever they start falling into their habit of dragging out a conversation too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Wiseblood posted:

That makes sense considering they have backgrounds working in game QA.

I guess that explains why their "THQ devs having nightmares about Darksiders 2 progression blockers" gag in a recent video was so strangely spot-on, speaking as someone who tested that game.

Though I haven't really watched much of their stuff lately. I'm not sure if he got better about it, but there was a period around the MGR playthrough they did where Matt couldn't shut up about some weird opinions he had on games, and it bothered me whenever I tried watching their videos.

• Locked thread