Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, both my little brother (just entering college) and my neighbour (a lurker goon who's 20 odd) watch all of these sorts of shows, and I can understand the attraction. The Roosterteeth guys are engaging, and TotalBiscuit is also engaging (although the game he VAs in is not, not for me, at least). Then again, I used to run (briefly) with the "Funny [insert multiplayer game here] Videos" crowds, so make of that what you will...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

DWK posted:

Nan!? :aaa:

I've never seen someone so angry at the gas board. I'm guessing someone didn't get her winter fuel payment this year.

Still, she's pretty handy with that controller, she plays games better than quite a few "famous" Youtube LPers.

Both her and Old Grandma Hardcore (who sadly seems to be no longer gaming) often amuse me, they play games fairly well, and they're... well, colourful, to say the least!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, to make things interesting, some of these new claims are... Well, horribly vague. This "Content Holder" came up in two videos (Rogue Trooper Ep 4, and part of my YT Cold Fear LP)

"One or more music publishing rights collecting societies"

Riiiight. As I've stated in the email I just sent to the copyright team, that's waaaaay too vague for anyone to judge whether it's accurate or not. To make things even more fun, there is no music in the Rogue Trooper video at the specified point. Not a sausage, as far as I can see.

EDIT: Having gone through my playlist, thankfully 99% of the claims that suddenly popped up were just fine, dandy, and above board. It's just those two.

EDIT 2: The second claim goes even further in vagueness... "A musical composition administrated by [more vagueness]"

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 12, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that's the real danger with how Google handles these kinds of claims at the moment. From how I understand it, there's no real vetting of WHO makes the claim, so it's open to abuse by people claiming rights to content and hoping the owner of the video thinks it's too much trouble to bother disputing.

Well, funnily enough, I asked them to clarify just who the gently caress was claiming what, and got my reply about an hour ago. It was a form letter, saying "Er, use our dispute form"

Ah yes. The same dispute form which no longer has an option for "This is in error", and forces me to use the Fair Use (Review and Parody) defence that is a rather shaky one, and which will result in a copyright strike if I am, in fact, wrong, and even one of this "A collection of music rights collecting societies" decides to say that no, they own it?

Essentially, scam or not, the only legal leg I have to stand on is that this is (was, if I don't get a response from Google in the next week) far too god-drat vague for me to make any judgements beyond the fact that the Cold Fear copyright claim is too vague to judge. Same with the Rogue Trooper vid, because although it gives a track name there, Rebellion, afaik, didn't name their music for Rogue Trooper beyond generic level names.

Essentially, even if the claim is complete bunkum, I need to know what musician this represents, because otherwise, I risk losing both the videos and the standing that would allow me to continue LPing properly... Natch, the people claiming have little risk to no risk whatsoever on their end, which is part of the problem with the whole system.

EDIT: Gaz-L is right about the other part. I've had radio stations claim before, because they played it once. Go figure.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 14, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Highwang posted:

On the note of YT's new copyright system going loving mental; a video I put on private which is just a stream recording of Castlevania LoS got hit by two guys, IDOL and Merlin[Phonophile]. Apparently these two companies are notorious for automatically rejecting all claims against them. I'm not seeing a red cent either way, but is there any other way to get this claim legit disputed just in case?

As far as I can tell after looking into the subject, the answer is "Not without a highly paid crack team of attack lawyers and a solid defence", which, if it's an LP and not a review, it's really not. While most SA LPs technically come under "Review and Parody" of Fair Use, as has been mentioned many times, both on SA and elsewhere, it's shaky ground.

The only real hope is if they don't actually own any of the rights, and never have. Judging by This, they're quite... zealous. Perhaps overly so.

EDIT: IDOL, I don't know, but I have heard their name crop up before. But judging by this thread, Merlin [Phonofile] are most likely copyright trolls. Best to find out who actually owns the recordings though.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 14, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Highwang posted:

So the long and short of it is YT & Google don't want to deal with it and these scam artists are pleading the 5th. I LOVE the net nowadays!

Good thing this vid exists just because I like to keep records of my streams. I'll just download the vid and delete it.

Just checked a little deeper, and this claim is, in fact, valid. Oscar Araujo was indeed the soundtrack designer, and he did, apparently, register his rights with both companies. Either way, deleting it if it's nothing amazingly important is probably the best course of action.

EDIT: I do understand the first dispute is no risk, unfair, but if they simply reclaim instead of clarifying, then that leaves me exactly where I started. With no information to work with.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 14, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, ho loving ho. Looky there, both the claims magically vanished. And I only disputed, er... not even five minutes ago? So yeah, be on the lookout for "One or more music publishing rights societies", folks.

EDIT: Just to clarify, not even a "This is under dispute". Just gone.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, can't really put this diplomatically... Somebody is asking for money, on Kickstarter, to fund his Let's Play hobby. For real.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Can someone with access (at work here) tell me what the hell he needs the money for anyways? I mean, for a hundred or so dollars you can get a HDPVR and that alone probably makes it so you can become an LP superstar if combined with all the free programs out there. Is it like a rule that YouTube LP Superstars all buy like Vegas or Aftereffects or something instead of using AviSynth and MeGUI?

Lessee... He's asking for a grand. Let's break that down, shall we?

Roxio HD Pro: £88. This, by the way, is all he's specifically mentioned. That still leaves £912, which, due to Adobe having their All Programs at £48 a month, means he could get Adobe Premiere, Aftereffects, Photoshop, and other such bullshit for a year and seven months. Or he could get Vegas Pro for £300-400, Adobe AfterEffects for god knows at £18 a month, and... Well, there are lots of options.

But odds are, he's hyperinflating in the hopes of "funding" his hobby during those dangerous times between starting his LPs and becoming a YouTube Superstar with millions of subscribers and the like.

EDIT: Whups, forgot it was dollars. Doesn't matter, the point stands.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 27, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Somebody mentioned the RPGCodex LP thing a while back, and it's actually kinda interesting, because I found that around the same time as the post, and... It's got a respectable series of completed LPs. Just like our lil' master list, pretty much anything before 2010 is going to be a bit of a gamble, video and image host wise, but the Let's Play of, for example, Fred Pohl's Gateway by Crooked Bee (no relation, maybe, possibly, don't know?) is actually quite good. But it definitely seems like a lot of '07 LPs in screenshot form, so if that's not to your taste, you know now.

Still, I'm currently following the Might & Magic X LP, and it seems well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

watho posted:

That 4'33" thing was a joke where someone uploaded that length of copyrighted audio which then got muted.

Yeah, confirming it was me, on the 4th or 5th Rogue Trooper vid. That... Was an extremely weird flag to get. I only got the "joke" (Because it was someone trolling) when I realised that there isn't even much sound at the particular point it was flagging.

4 minutes, 33 loving seconds. Ha. loving. Ha.

• Locked thread