Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, I like the Grumps, but it's abundantly clear that of the lot of them Barry is the only one capable of holding a coherent conversation while playing a game. It drives me and some of my friends absolutely loving bonkers when they make really obvious mistakes or can't figure out something stupidly simple because they're too busy talking; sometimes we can't even finish their series of a particular game because they're just SO loving BAD. Two Best Friends gets the point on this one because A) they can play while holding a conversation, and B) they usually have at least SOME kind of knowledge to impart about what they're playing.

I watched the LP they did for Viewtiful Joe recently, and thought it was okay. There are problems with it: their commentary drowns out the game audio, and don't really show off any of the side content. However, they manage to play the game pretty well. Looking at how it was uploaded, it seems like they played through the whole game in a single sitting.

The other problem they have is that their commentary tends to go off-track, away from the game and onto other subjects. I don't really have a problem with it, but I can see how that could be kind of irksome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He went to DeVry?

Is DeVry considered to be a bad college? I ask this because I have a degree from DeVry and sometimes I wonder if I'd been better off attending a different college.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Who is that Let's Play guy who is super unimpressed with horror games?
Do you mean Cr1tikal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq4IQVos58

\/\/\/ EDIT: Right, sorry. I missed that bit. Here's a more appropriate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqahzYsB38

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 20, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

watho posted:

Don't tell me that we're going to need to start posting the Ishtar trailer in this thread as well.

They were just a couple of Let's Players who came to YouTube to break into show business...

Yardbomb posted:

I don't hate him, I just wish he would use his nice voice better instead of crazy hammed up reactions.
I have to second this. He narrated an episode or two of Did You Know Gaming, and he does a good job delivering more calm, collected commentary.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think it's available for download, but someone modded Todd Howard into Skyrim.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Garrand posted:

A couple years back there was an lper who self banned from sa because he didn't want to be part of a site that allowed transphobic jokes (at the time there was a bunch of straight up "I'd murder them with their purse" style "jokes" and other comments, pimarily in gbs of course but still)

Been trying to find his videos but I can't remember his name. I think it started with an h. Lastt thing I remember him doing was some shoddy Russian horror game.

Do you mean Habermann? I was going to link his channel, but it looks like it's been deleted.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

In lieu of something that's not internet drama or speed-run related, here a few outside-SA LP recommendations I wanted to make.

First one is Mr. Smart Donkey. He primarily plays strategy and RTS games, the main one being Total War: Shogun 2. He's a pretty good player, as he's able to play Shogun 2 on Legendary and makes it look pretty effortless. Apart from his LP videos, he's also done some videos covering the best/ worth units and overviews of different clans, so it worth checking out if you're like me and you're interested in learning how to play Shogun 2.

The second one is SorcererDave. He does sort-of in-character' LPs of modded Gamebryo RPGs (Morrowind, Skyrim, New Vegas). The reason why I say 'sort-of in-character' is because he doesn't really narrate as if he's his character, but rather he puts an emphasis on role-playing aspect. He starts out by establishing a backstory and personality for the character he plays, and the mods he uses add survival/needs aspects to the game. I was watching his Skryim LP a while back, and it motivated me to try playing Skryim again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

Regarding JonTron, I couldn't care less about what he says on a livestream with who . I care a hell of a lot more about Destructoid trying to push a narrative that he's a Nazi while using an out-of-context image of him dressing as a Nazi (The entire point of the joke was him doing it then immediately going "OK, this is too far, I can't do this poo poo."), when the author has enough degrading comments about women tied to him you could write a litany longer than the collected works of Tolkien.

Also, Jon's explicitly said in the past that he's Pro-Choice and has no issues with groups like Planned Parenthood that facilitate them.

Are you referring to Jed Whitaker?

Bruceski posted:

And that it would be picked up by someone who wrote a book series about nationalism/facism/WWII? How dare she!
Wait, how is Harry Potter about nationalism/fascism/WWII? :confused: Are you being sarcastic, or are you referring to something else?

Danaru posted:

I just want him to realize he's being a dope, say he's being a dope, and go back to being a decent dude :smith: He's an alright guy but he's fallen for the Gamergate stuff really hard and he's turning into a jackass about it
This is my hope, too. Austin Hargrave (PeanutButterGamer) has said that he and Jon are still pals, so hopefully, the he and the rest of the Normal Boots folks can convince him to come back around.

Roar posted:

This is fairly interesting considering how many people seem to love the "all Jews must die" joke from one of the mario maker Game Grumps episodes. Is it because Dan actually is a Jew or because they're not as incredibly visible as ol' pewds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPlGNzThp8

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bruceski posted:

You've got a bunch of magical purity fanatics with a charismatic leader trying to sieze power, a government that prefers to deny it out of fear of looking bad and hope the villain can be reasoned with, the people most at risk aren't being protected because the violence taps into latent muggle/xenophobia... the books put a lot of analogy in a young adult magical wrapper.

Oh, that's right. I forgot that. :doh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Kinda weird to forget literally the entire plot.

I had a long day at work, so my brain is not working so well. :downs:

I also thought he was referring to some kind of overall theme within the book (not just with the villains), kind of like how people say that Lord of the Rings is an allegory for WWII.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Markiplier put out a pretty serious video, partially in relation to the PDP issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMkrXG8KMY

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

maybe you shouldn't say death to all jews.

god, is pewds paying you guys

Well, PDP offered me five bucks on Fiverr to post "Death To All Goons" a while ago, but then I figured out he meant he would pay me five bucks in Krona, which equates to about 50¢ in USD, so I told him to piss off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I thought the contention over VoidBurger had to do with the fact that she said something to Lowtax on Twitter, and he banned (or shadowbanned) her SA account. I heard the same thing happened to PsychedelicEyeball as well.

• Locked thread