Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm not sure if they have any major benefits, but I've used a few occasionally just to either replace it with official artwork and/or prevent anyone from getting spoiled via related videos and the like. It seems to work pretty well for that if nothing else.

Now, the other use for them that I've seen (i.e. someone's face making a "wacky" reaction over a random arbitrary colour)? Yeah, I got nothing for that one.

I don't even have the option to use custom thumbnails probably because I am not a partner but I am fine with the three thumbnails usually. I try to pick the closest one to the beginning as I can if the default doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Agent Interrobang posted:

Honestly, web detective stuff like that always irritates me. Genuinely, who gives a flying crap about what people do outside SA as long as they don't bring it onto SA itself? At that point you're just poo poo-stirring for the sake of it, unless it's something genuinely harmful or actively illegal. I guess it depends on how you define 'harmful' but if we're talking about being a furry I just don't see it being relevant here as long as they're not making it some kind of posting gimmick.

another annoying thing about web detective is if you just search by username, you can't be certain that it is the same person with the user name. Yes I go by mateo360 on other sites too but if I search for my own name then I get results that link to site were others have used that name as well that I have never even been too.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Jsor posted:

Even if it is legit, while skeevy, it may be legal in his state. 16 is the age of consent in quite a few places even in the US.

There is still usually a specific part that says the older person has to be within 5 years or so of the consenting party.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nidoking posted:

Another thing worth remembering about VGA is that they started as a sketch comedy based on video games, then transitioned to the live stream format, so there's probably a bit of holdover from those early days in their style. I still recommend checking out at least one of their streams - find something you'd watch a Something Awful LP of; they've done so many that there has to be one - and give it a video or two to draw you in. They're a really entertaining crew, and they give the games they're playing, as well as the audience, the respect they deserve. They've got a system (which sounds stupid but at least seems to work) for people in the chat to signal that they absolutely know what they're talking about and giving valid hints, so when they get stuck and need to turn to the chat for help, it gets them past the block most of the time and it's generally more amusing than watching them stumble around and fail constantly.

If you're not completely tired of the game itself yet, their Rhythm Heaven Fever stream was pretty good until they hit Remix 10. They let each player have a turn at each game, and one of them (possibly because he always went last) managed to do really well in most of the games even without practice. The game itself is fun to watch, so I think it's a pretty fair showing of their general entertainment quality.

The only problem I have had with them recently is with longer more complicated games (i.e. Puzzle games or adventure games) It gets annoying to watch them stumble around for 20 mins ignoring what (at least seems to me) the obvious answer while Fraser gets pissed off and then spend another 10-20 mins trying to explain how ether it should be that "complicated" or how the game is somehow at fault.

I do Like there Minecraft Awesome and some of there earlier streams.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am curious to see how long it takes for kickstarter to close it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

kissekatt posted:

I decided to check out a few of their videos and you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6J7RO-C04&t=685s
(11:25)

Get stumped by a simple riddle (select the chess pieces in the order they appear in the clue), has to get the solution from the chat and then spends several minutes whining about how it doesn't make sense.

I mostly stopped watching them when they were doing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and Justice For All because Fraser kept spending the trials whining about leaps of logic they were taking and when that is the majority of a 15-30 min video making what should be a three or four video trial into something like 10 part starts to wear thin.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Has anyone else been getting the "video disguised as an ad" ad? I have been seeing one which is basically just footage of someone playing Ace Attorney Duel Destinies.

On that note, tonight I actually got an ad for Valkhorn's channel when looking at a toy review.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I use to watch my dad play adventure games when I was little so it probably has something to do with that for me.

The video that made me realize that I could watch people play was actually this one from raocow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzcKU6L-88s

It was post in a random video thread on a different forum I use to be on but watching that made me go watch his other work which lead me to learn about SA and eventually join.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I really think they should have a time limit on videos for ads. if your video is say over 5 mins, it is ineligible to be used as an ad.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

chitoryu12 posted:

They may start punishing people who use adblocker software, like restricting commenting and uploading privileges.

Or like what Hulu does and just doesn't allow you to watch the video until you white list the site, or what blip does and sitting on a message screen for a while before starting the video.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Genocyber posted:

I use Adblock and have never encountered those things. :shrug:

I seem to have missed remembered. I do remember AdBlock basically breaking a video player to the point were I had to allow ads to actually watch, I think it might have been daisuki when I was watching the P4G Anime. Blip is fine and it was Hulu that had the message that would sit around for up to two minutes with AdBlock even though it has an option for a work around (basically it shames you by showing the message for the full length of time the ads would be playing)

and before anyone says it, no I didn't actually pay. This is a free software and that link on the options is more for donation then anything.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The of course there are those of us who don't even monetize their videos and then get strikes. Such as when WB seemed to have a problem with several of my videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
My favorite comment was a woman who accused me of using bad language in a video with a Barney & Thomas game (done for how bad the emulation was making Barney sound possessed and making Thomas impossible to complete). The worst word I used in my video was Hell. She was telling me I should flag my own video to keep kids from stumbling on it since her 3 year old had "accidentally" come across it several time. She claimed she was watching what her child was watching but then, it wouldn't have happened more then once.

• Locked thread