Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr Muggy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6u_Lut88w

DarkSyde Parental Advice. It's just another piece of evidence that makes you wonder how the gently caress people can support this dude.

Holy gently caress how can someone be THIS big a manchild to still be whining about not getting a toy soon enough as a kid when he's in his 30s? How can you possibly be THIS disconnected with reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like Suzy, she's like the team mom who tries to keep this band of idiots from killing each other/themselves :unsmith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seshoho Cian posted:

Some talentless hack who doesn't know how to make a good Let's Play

I don't really know how to feel about this post‎

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roar posted:

I wouldn't mind PSP picking the games if he picked something worth getting. Christ.

I know he has limits I'm sure but come on, Garry's Mod? Really?

Hey that's a pretty good deal for the three people on the planet who still don't own it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Colonel posted:

Though there was, like, one game where they sucked so much that they spent the entire video sitting in the tutorial and complaining and it was pretty awful.

To be fair, they clearly try to put the present into the fire multiple times, but the prompt either didn't show up or they were at slightly the wrong angle. I'll defend that one to the end :colbert:

Not to say they're not terrible at video games, but that specific instance was at least as much the game's fault as it was theirs. They knew what they needed to do, but couldn't do it properly. If you want an example of them just being terrible, watch the Rogue Squadron videos. They spend the entire episode shooting at the buildings they need to defend, and crashing into the ground, then say the game sucks when they get a game over because the city was destroyed.

I love the grumps and all but holy crap that video. At least Danny jacks down the negativity a lot since he started.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Mine are "hello gorgeous it is protag", and "poo poo off, you crime!". I also say "stick THAT in between two slices of bread and take it to work with you tomorrow like a lacked lunch" when im winning or do something good.
Also, i sign of my videos with "love you bye"

Oh god I'm cringing so hard my face muscles actually hurt.

quote:

Mines are pretty short. "Hello you sexy beast", "If this video tickle your fancy, check out my channel and other videos" and "Stay Sexy My Friends".

He openly admits one of his catchphrases is Shilling his other videos

quote:

"Love your faces with a bit of Pie and will see you next time Pieoneers" or "dont make me get ghetto"

RedditLP.txt

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BMS posted:

Get it, it'd Birdo in DKC.  BIRDO.  DONKEY KONG.  Is there a little similarity there?  Ohhhh I think there is...n't.

He added Birdo because the thing Jon was yelling sounded like the same beat as Birdo's theme from SMB2‎

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

It's actually quite surprising how many parallels I could draw between DSP and Game Grumps. The only differences I could point out off the bat, are the jokes on Game Grumps don't always fall flat, and DSP has a significantly higher success rate for finishing games he starts.

Alright now come on, this is just plain ridiculous.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels are video mills, where the people play games for hours on end, then post multiple, short videos a day.

DSP automatically cuts his videos at 10 minutes regardless of where it happens, the GG episodes have a conclusive opening and ending that aims for ten and goes over if they don't have a convenient cut off point.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels are filled with racism and creepy sexual commentary.

Game Grumps commentary can get off colour, but for the most part Dan tries to keep things clean, and when things go too off colour and offends people, they openly apologize or have Barry edit it out. Phil purposely 'jokes' about raping characters in games and then blames anyone complaining for being too PC.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels contain fan abuse.

Is this sarcasm? Danny has apologized for not responding to fan mail fast enough because he tries to read and respond to literally everyone who mails him. They also take pictures and talk with any fan that meets them in real life, and in every series they do they make sure to give a shout out and a thank you to anyone who sent it to them, even if they're playing a copy Danny or Arin already had. And there was the time they autographed and sold a shitload of their double copies of games and then donated all of the money they got to charity. I honestly can't think of a single incident of fan abuse unless it was jokingly done and then immediately explained as a joke. You're comparing this to someone selling the box of a video game for personal profit, and poo poo talking people who built him a computer for less than no profit on their part.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels have people making glaringly obvious mistakes in games because they can't be bothered to pay attention because they think they're too good for that.

Most of the games they play, Danny or Arin has a walkthrough immediately handy. If they don't, once they realize what they did wrong, they almost always call themselves out on it and take it back if they were blaming the game previously.

The game grumps are far from perfect, and some of their videos are outright unwatchable (Steam Train has become increasingly intolerable lately), but comparing them to DSP isn't even an exageration, it's outright wrong. They're actually learning from their mistakes and listening to criticism. If anyone wants to see what more recent grumps is like, I'd recommend their playthrough of The Goonies 2, or maybe their run of Gun Smoke. They get a lot of hate for things they really don't do that much anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speedball posted:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?350177-(Let-s-Play)-Undying

This is actually a pretty good off-site LP of Undying.

:stare: an SSLP outside SA, that's something you don't see everyday. And it even looks pretty solid

E: V Oh god that means at least two people have played that game in it's entirety. Way more than it deserves.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 10, 2014

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Onean posted:

After watching the retsupurae of Richard Gamingo I decided to make a quick stop over on his YouTube profile just to see what all was there after largely ignoring his stuff.

Wow he somehow makes Broforce look like it's not a fun game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shadow Hog posted:

About all I remember about him is that he had a sprite comic where he had a female character named "Jen" who was, more often than not, a black-colored, much-more-naked Tails (she didn't even have the luxury of shoes/gloves like Tails does). I believe it was the fan character of an actual female friend of his, too, not somebody he came up with entirely on his own. I'd have assumed she just felt like having a character like that beforehand, but after hearing some of these accounts, I have to question if that's actually the case.

Also recall some Flash animation where he and some friends say random words like "galloshes". For some reason, that has stuck with me over the years, despite me not watching said animation in around a decade.

Oh my god I remember this :gonk: Some webcomic guy I used to read like ten years ago partnered with his site, and instead of the normal comic, the artist I read started solely doing lovely sprite comics featuring himself and this guy's characters. I also remember that Jen character eventually getting a human form which looked exactly like what you'd expect from him. I think between that and Dominic Deegan or whatever was when I gave up on webcomics altogether from sheer disgust.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The thing about internet shitstorms is that it's basically a thousand people taking a minute to call someone a bad name. Hell, it gets so repetitive because nobody bothers to read anyone else's comments.

They also choose to do this on a medium that only allows 140 characters, ensuring no one CAN make a reasonable point even if they have one. Although instead they tried to liken him to child molestors and murderers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RSCNyx posted:

From what I know, Kaceytron is just a character who gets paid a ton of money from nerds to make fun of them, and troll the League of Legends community.

She succeeds to the point that people are donating her money, just to insult her in the donation messages.

It's like the people on youtube who make tons of money by screaming at the camera. I can't tell whether to be disgusted or impressed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roar posted:

youtube comments

Man he sure told six-years-ago them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
To me, it feels like facecams fell into the same disrepute as Gamemaker and Unity, for example. Basically it CAN be done well (like Spelunky and Wasteland 2, respectively) but the bar for entry is so low that the vast majority is a wasteland of effortless trash.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've been watcing Marikplyers Five Nights at Freddies videos. As much as i hate to actually give him views his are probably the better video quality wise than alot of them. Its funny to me how he slowly drops the OMG THIS IS SO CREEPY GUYS mentality as the game actually gets challenging and requires you to actually pay attention

I only saw his Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 2 videos, and aside from some obvious hamming it up in the beginning, they were actually really well done, and Markiplier does a pretty great job of figuring out the patterns, especially in the second game. Honestly I don't want to watch any of his other videos since I'm worried it'll ruin that image.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BMS posted:

You did mention that he actually tones that down a bit later on. Any reference as to when? I'd be interested to give his "toned down" version a chance I guess, but really don't feel like wading through video after video trying to find it.

After the first episode or two of both FNAFs, when you need to pay more attention to figure stuff out, he plays it up a bit less. He's still intense, but you can tell it's more genuine and less acting.

Like I said, I only watched his Five Nights stuff, but he seems to be the least worst in a sea of horrible scarecam youtubers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So It Goes posted:

For those of you who thought doing LPs of games like Mario Kart wasn't serious business: http://www.reddit.com/r/MindcrackDiscussion/comments/2opvxc/my_version_of_events_re_the_mario_kart_8/

Jesus christ this is the Atlas Shrugged of LP drama. And it just gets longer as people post their own novels in the replies

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So It Goes posted:

Mindcrack is the same group that led to this: http://slowbeef.tumblr.com/post/53496044693/mindcrack-and-me

Youtube LPs at its finest really.

Oh god this makes it even better :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

slowbeef posted:

Then someone decides you're not worthy of it, sets a clickbot on you, you get kicked out of AdSense and now you're not allowed to make money on Let's Play.

(see: VoidBurger)

Holy poo poo seriously? Did someone do that?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My favourite comment was when someone got upset at me for not playing Mario's Time Machine properly

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tin Tim posted:

Look, if y'all are gettin so many terrible comments, maybe it's time to step back and evaluate the real root of the problem. Like, if all those Lp stars who are terrible get bad comments, then maybe you are terrible too and get the comments you deserve? Ever think of that, hmmmm?

My youtube comments are good btw and I treasure each of them :3:

I refute this claim. The vast majority of the comments I get are great, but I'm objectively and measurably garbage at lp :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

and then there was that time where Danny was so amused by the broken English of a Japanese singer at a club, he imitated it for months in their videos.

For context's sake, he was talking about a japanese singer named Hyde, who did a concert in Baltimore, and was saying how awesome the singer was for doing the research of finding out the town was famous for crab fishing, and connected with the crowd despite not knowing much english.

The Miyamoto thing was horribly unfunny even during the episode and it baffles me why anyone would have animated it. Arin gets really wierd about Japan, and Asia in general sometimes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

VoidBurger posted:

By the way, here was the silly sum-up of the drama I skimmed around in. I pretty much don't approve of anybody's reaction here (the original offended person's zero-to-sixty offended response AND all the apologetic/doublingdown stuff for a scene that is very obviously meant to invoke rape imagery. Everyone acted somewhat poorly here, basically.)

:stare: Good lord, I can understand being upset, but that isn't even in the same time zone as reasonable. At least they haven't doxxed him yet, which seems to be the crazy side of tumblr's M.O.

CJacobs posted:

I like watching all the various Game Grumps shows but I'm not even going to bother defending the racist thing. I don't know why someone made an animation of it, the animation video is basically the length of the whole bit in a like bajillion and a half part long Mario playthrough. The tone of the show is very schizophrenic; sometimes there's wacky zany not-humor like that and it's not all that funny to people besides Egoraptor and Danny (because they are present in the room when the jokes are being said) but a lot of the time it's just chill, and chill is good. Chill Grumps.

Also relevant, the Game Grumps' videos have annotations for trigger warnings when they're really necessary; I believe the most recent one was a Trauma Center episode that featured a suicidal patient. I like them (Arin, Danny, Ross, and formerly Jon) because they're nice people that are considerate of their fans, but sometimes there are missteps like that animation.

I think it's because on the show, Arin feels the need to play a so-wacky youtuber character, which is why he goes for cheap humor sometimes (casual racism, poop jokes, that kind of crap). The best episodes are when Arin is just Arin, not his character.

Danny is just Danny all the time, which is why he's the best.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Onean posted:

MinecraftModders.txt

That's somehow hilarious and depressing at the same time. How the hell do you purposely break someone's game and think you're in the right?

And the DMCA oh god :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SelenicMartian posted:

In the end there were so many people joining that hive for exposure that it all turned into white noise with streaks of brown.

Seriously, I checked their site like a month ago just to see how bad it got, and it's Brad Jones and five hundred thumbnails of a movie with some random reviewer screaming next to it.

Brad, buddy, you're too good for this. Move on like everyone else man. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of TGWTG, this compilation of someone hired to help with sound production on Kickassia in a 4chan thread has been floating around for a bit. The whole thing might be bullshit, but it certainly goes along with other behind the scenes stories that have popped up over time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wierdly enough, I had a claim on a video, and acknowledged it since I don't monetize anyway. A few weeks later, it just went away on it's own. I have no idea how they work anymore. :psyduck:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Game Grumps recently had an issue where Youtube was being lovely about copyrights due to them singing a few lines of songs once in a while. If DISNEY lawyers have trouble with Youtube, it's not a good sign for the smaller one-two person operations.

On the other hand, there's pretty much nowhere else popular enough to get any kind of exposure, so it comes down to Patreon or getting lucky and dodging copyrights. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's like the adult version of calling yourself the "Class clown"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Arin's main problem is he tries to play a character, while everyone else is just kind of themselves. It's not uncommon that he's himself on the show, and the episode quality drastically improves when he is. Comparatively, Danny and the others are pretty much always themselves. Ross drives me nuts unless he's with Danny though because he'll keep talking over everyone's jokes with random babble.

Speaking of wild swings in quality, recently they had Mario 64 and Bloodborne running at the same time, and while Arin was crazy good at Bloodborne and explained many of the game mechanics and lore tidbits, he completely loving blew it at the most basic Mario 64 levels to the point that even Danny was getting pissed off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm lucky in that I have an English Canadian accent, which is like a generic american accent except it also delights or blindingly infuriates people when I say things like "about" and "zed"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Brits tend to think I have an American accent, for some reason. I don't know what Americans think. I'm not, at any rate. But I swear, most people from my country have the most atrocious accent ever and it's instantly noticeable.

Also, the thing that always gets me about Psychedelic Eyeball is the way he hasperates hevery word that starts with a vowel for some reason. Is that typical of French Canadian accents?

yes, although every French Canadian I know has more of a back-of-the-throat hhch than psych does, if that makes any sense.

Also French Canadian swears are lame :colbert: step up your game, French Canada

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Suspicious Dish posted:

Has anybody made a Kek's Play series containing epic memes and racist humor? I would do it, but I'm more of an ideas guy. I'll make the logo, though.

Make sure to put the person's face in the thumbnail looking either really angry or really scared. Or just with their mouth open regardless of emotion. Also boobs whether it's related to the content or not.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

chitoryu12 posted:

Agreed, at least on Mark (no idea what PDP is like out of character). Though Markiplier has started to get tired of appeasing all his weirdo Tumblr fans after he got people accusing him of being transphobic for wearing makeup poorly for a joke.

I remember someone getting angry at Arin for saying he found some dudes hot, but not straight out saying he was bisexual. Then afterwards, when Arin said he considered himself straight, they started arguing that he was bisexual and also homophobic. :psyduck: There are some bizarre folks on tumblr.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

On a recent episode of Pokemon Something Or Other Dan mentioned that it had finally usurped Sonic 06 as the longest-running series and wondered aloud (jokingly) if Jon would be upset, to which Arin laughed. That was it. That was the whole thing. Cue like 10 threads on their subreddit and every comment on the video being like THEY STILL HATE JON HOW DARE THEY MOCK HIM BEHIND HIS BACK HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO ONE OF THEIR BEST FRIENDS

I once saw a thread where they listed every single mention of Jon since he left, episode and timestamp. There was also a huge shitstorm because they think that a blank miiverse post was them censoring a mention of Jon.

Then they act completely baffled as to why the Grumps crew loving hates Reddit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lazyfire posted:

This reminds me of the time a few years back where one of the bigger Minecraft people attracted a fan so obsessive that the guy went through hundreds of videos to collect minute biographical details about the LPer and from that was able to determine which flower shop in Canada the LPer's parents owned. Ultimately he didn't share that information with the internet, he just showed up in person asking the owners if he could talk to their son.

:stonk: That's seriously messed up. Thank gently caress I'm a nobody.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

PS - Thanks Arin for forever burning it into my brain that Suzy's vagina tastes like sour milk and pennies. :barf:

what

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

slowbeef posted:

One of the Rooster Teeth guys tweeted pics of his apartment building when he wasn't so famous. A fan found the complex, and moved in, then proceeded to pretend to not know the guy in order to form this fake organic relationship.

One of the RT staffers recognized her from video footage where she asked a question at a panel, and now it's like this super uncomfortable thing in their building.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

While we are talking about creepy weird fans, some fans of Noah Antwiler (Spoony One) found out where he lived and went to his house which scared the poo poo out of him and his brother. His brother being a cop who had a deadly confrontation on duty rather recently.

Seriously, what has to go through your mind to stalk someone until you find their address, then just show up at their doorstep like "HI I LIKE YOUR INTERNET SHOW". How do you not realize you're being a creep way before that

• Locked thread