Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

valkhorn posted:

Just giving my side of the story. If we're going to be honest why not be honest in the open.

Also, like I said earlier, I'm fine that most of you treat me as a punching bag when I show up, but at least the blows come from in front rather than behind.

What side? What story are you talking about? "Valkhorn is bad" isn't a story or an accusation or anything of the sort, it's just making fun of you. There is no other side to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

AnoHito posted:

The problem with that on youtube, for example, is that there's always going to be those assholes that say that you savescummed even if you don't.

Wait, are we talking about for challenge runs or just general LPs? 'Cause who gives a gently caress if an lper savescumms to make his life easier to make a good LP?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'd tell you this conversation is better suited for the comments section of the videos but she disabled them.

No conversation is better suited for youtube comments, but I guess it let's you get your dig in about her disabling them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Outside of gimmicks like Vicas' LP (which wasn't even a facecam) I don't think they are particularly useful for full blown LPs, but frankly streams are a completely different matter. As a general rule streaming is really relaxed and not meant to be fully informative so either blocking out some unimportant HUD information or shrinking the screen down a little isn't really a big deal. The interaction with the audience is also far more direct and immediate than with youtube LPs or even SA threads.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

BMS posted:

Probably around the same time the general consensus on SA decided that LP's were "art" of some form, and that people shouldn't make fun of people that take them super seriously that aren't making a living off of them. GOTTA PROTECT THAT ORIGINAL LP CONTENT YO. I mean, when the LP museums start opening up, what, you expect people who create the David's and Mona Lisa's of LPs NOT to be credited for their fine contribution to human society? LPers aren't nerds, we're visionaries!

Basically, when your typical LP goon turned into the Brauner of LPs

I don't remember that consensus ever happening. What I do remember was people getting tired of being insulted because they actually wanted to put effort into their LPs. Also people getting tired of this argument.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Spielmeister posted:

Most of that seems to be a rant about the most recent Retsutalk where Beef and Betus talked about Patreon and viewers gifting them games on Steam and their best guess as to why people do that, and the fact that they run ads on their videos in general. I have no idea what he's talking about with the click-bait custom thumbnails though.

In short, I think he's basically accusing Beef and Betus of "selling-out like everyone else on YouTube" in the most incoherent way possible.

The funny part is on that retsutalk video, he made this comment, which doesn't appear to have anything to do with literally anything in the podcast

quote:

I just figured something out about these two fuckwits and SA as a whole:
These are the type of people that drone for companies like Blizzard. For instance: Say you have Torchlight 2 Vs Diablo 3 which one do you think these two idiots are going to defend and drone for? Diablo 3. Why? Oh not because its good or anything but because it has the name Blizzard & Diablo on its box. You are tools.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really not. It's just a minority of people who would probably be making as much money if they were doing anything else.

You just described the entirety of the entertainment industry. By and large most of the people working in TV and movies don't get paid much; it's just the few big names that make it rich.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Who knows, but it leads to things like people getting flagged for 4'33".

As funny as that little trick was, what actually happened with the 4'33" was that the user had uploaded an actual song and it got hit and the audio removed. After a while the strike was removed or something and the audio was actually added back and ruined the joke (although I don't remember what the actual song was anymore.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm going to have to check that out, thanks.

Same, both because I really like Bully as a game but also because I'm a huge fan of VIvaVizer's LP of Bully and want to see how this compares. Never heard of Nerd3 before (I haven't spent much time watching mainly youtube lpers.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

BMS posted:

I didn't have a clue who you were talking about, so I went to YouTube and searched "YouTube Francis Blob", and THIS was the third result. So....I assume.......this is the guy you're talking about?

I'd just like to say that if Francis is being linked in this thread that this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

Not LP oriented in any way, but just relevant to Francis.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

so many grumps apologists here you all give money to arin the sellout :allears:

I don't know poo poo about game grumps or arin or whatever but 99% of the time this is just a really bullshit excuse to hate someone and the person saying it is usually an rear end in a top hat. Just FYI.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

At RTX last year, I had a fan come up and tell me a really nice thing. He'd moved to a new city entirely, had no family, friends in the area and he was kinda down about it. So he watched Darkseed 2 and he thanked me for getting him through a rough period in his life. He was totally normal and cool about it - he admitted it's weird to have a YouTube video series get you through some poo poo, but he eventually settled in, etc.

When you make poo poo like this, it's just funny nonsense to you, but for some people , they get a personal connection.

In that guy's case, I think it's totally justifiable - he didn't do anything creepy about it, didn't get obsessive or weird, it was just "hey thanks, it meant a lot to me even if it was just a silly video you made"

But other people, I think, confuse stuff like this for the real life feeling you get when you connect with friends, etc. So they feel like celebrities really do think the way they do, and want to be their friends, etc. if only they hung out with them in real life. Then you get the creepers hoping to make that happen without realizing it's kind of inappropriate and weird on the other side.

Now real-deal celebrities get tons of money with the fame, so they can hire PR people and bodyguards etc. and PR people/agents will tell you from experience how to avoid revealing your hotel room and take care of your social media stuff. YouTube celebs are just sorta on their own since you only make good money (and not Hollywood good, mind) if you're super upper echelon, so most of them learn these lessons the wrong way.

I'm not so grump.

I originally decided not to post but since the topic came up here's my own stupid story:

A couple years ago I had lost my job as well as my long term girlfriend at roughly the same time. I didn't have a social life but shortly after that I stumbled onto Retsupurae. I basically marathoned the entire library that summer while I tried to get over everything that had happened and not turn to alcoholism while looking for a new job. It really did help me get through a tough time as suicide certainly was something that had occurred to me and instead I just watched King's Quest.

It's a bizarre feeling; like as time went on it was almost like listening to a couple of your buddies talk but in reality you know that they don't know or care who you are. Eventually I realized that there was a very real problem that I had traded actual social activity for watching youtube videos. I know that there is a similar issue with some people who watch lots of television; the TV becomes their substitute for an actual life. But I think it's an issue when some shut-ins don't ever have that realization and think there is a two-way connection that exists when it obviously doesn't.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Anyway, has anyone here heard of Low Tier God? He's a guy who streams mostly fighting games and it plain bad at them. He's been called "The Black DSP" because of his constant complaints that happen to be incredibly similar to Phil's. Just watch and see. You can go to his YouTube channel if you want more, but unless you like hearing the words "spreadsheet fighter" then I wouldn't suggest it.

Him vs Viscant was some amazing drama and it was awesome watching him cycle through high tier characters and losing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I got 20 seconds into that foreverpandering video before couldn't listen to anymore from him.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The copyright explicitly said it was for 4'33".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWDsD6Zs_p0 This is the video in question. It was muted at one point but not anymore. I can't recall the last video I've actually seen that had the audio muted but I don't remember it actually listing what the offending track was on the video page itself.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

anilEhilated was talking about a let's play video (and so was I). I think it was JamietheD maybe?

For some reason I missed the word 'here' in that post. Hadn't heard of anything like that from an LP but still think it's something else unless someone can really confirm.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Testekill posted:

He can't see you retard.

Well now he can.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

senrath posted:

Of course comments are disabled. I wonder if they did that before posting, or if they had to quickly do that afterwards.

hahaha, they only just now did that. i was reading some of those comments earlier and it consisted of everyone calling him a dipshit.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Kinda goes to show how ridiculous a fanbase can get. Didn't stuff like this happen with Retsupurae too?

There was a bit of a stink a couple years ago (2013 I think?) because apparently a woman who got RP'd in something like 2008 was still getting occasional harrasment years later on her deviant art and other places.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Jamesman posted:

quote:

If you are a viewer, we encourage you to check out the great content from Maker talent at our new flagship site: http://maker.tv/

Great content like

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

This has nothing to do with consumer rights. It's entirely about cash flow.It could be equally argued that if the so-called content creators cared about consumers, they would be more than happy to make videos without monetary compensation. They aren't, meaning they are as much slaves to the public vices as the corporations they claim to police.

I can't tell if this post is ironic or not.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Do Chip & Ironicus count as a cute couple?

The cutest couple.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Am I wrong in that these twitch plays are entirely missing the point of why pokemon was chosen in the first place?

I'll be amazed if they ever get unstuck from this corner. It's going to be a miracle just getting out of the vault.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

DSP always finds a way, there's a reason why A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil exists.

I love the first one both for the content and Slowbeef's terrible acting ability. Also the boat never doesn't crack me up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I'm pretty certain that at this point if Valve went belly up the entire games industry would already be screwed and we'd all probably be burning in nuclear hellfire.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I remember from before youtube was really a thing a site that was basically just these two guys who recorded themselves playing horror games and one was a huge scaredy cat. Had a face cam and everything. Trying to remember the names; it was mac and something but I can't seem to find them. But it was basically the exact thing you expect from modern horror game youtubers.

e: Oh gently caress, suddenly came to me. Mack and mesh. Earliest videos from 2005.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I can't loving stand those two guys because like a week after Forbes came out with that "Pewdiepie makes a million dollars a day" all of a sudden one of them just started tweeting me like "hmmm, looks like we actually started this whole thing, what do you say slowbeef?" And not in a funny way, just like a wink wink nudge nudge thing.

It's like, do your own loving marketing and no, you didn't start jack poo poo (and you won't get a million dollars) See Game Center CX, 2003, etc etc etc.

Hahaha, jesus christ. I wonder just how many people are going to bother you claiming to be the 'originator' of LP and poo poo. You need to start a club. Get some "I Invented LP" jackets going.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, the problem isn't that people are re-uploading their content, they've literally copyrighted a video style. They've copyrighted (or trademarked or whatever, I don't really care specifically) the very idea of having people react to things on video and now are taking down other peoples videos that are similar in style. It really would be like if slowbeef copyrighted Let's Play and then wouldn't allow other people to commentate over videogames on video.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Did it have to be an all or nothing? Could they have kept with React World while also stopping the trademarking and threat of competition takedown? Or would that make it too hard to enforce people who joined actually sharing ad revenue?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's been a while, I need to watch that LP again.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

But Peter Griffin already did an LP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6J024yG0o

And it's still funnier than an actual episode.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

BMS posted:

What the hell is that. Who knew that running around and jumping on poo poo acting like it's some EXTREME SPORT, will make women want to gently caress you. That IS what I'm supposed to take away from this right? I keep getting the vibe that the freaky tranny from Silence of the Lambs gives off when I listen to this guy....

"Would you jump on poo poo with me?.....
I'D jump on poo poo with me......"

I made it 20 seconds in and then time skipped around. What the gently caress even is this poo poo?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

A couple years back there was an lper who self banned from sa because he didn't want to be part of a site that allowed transphobic jokes (at the time there was a bunch of straight up "I'd murder them with their purse" style "jokes" and other comments, pimarily in gbs of course but still)

Been trying to find his videos but I can't remember his name. I think it started with an h. Lastt thing I remember him doing was some shoddy Russian horror game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean Habermann? I was going to link his channel, but it looks like it's been deleted.

Well gently caress, that makes me sad. I'd lost track of him after he left SA since I don't really follow much outside of it, but I liked his videos. Hope everything's going ok.

dijon du jour posted:

That was Habermann. He doesn't do let's plays anymore since his LP group disbanded but you can still find some of his old LPs on the LP Archive.
Note that you will need to watch the videos via the Internet Archive (link helpfully provided at the top of each LP's main page on the LP archive) as his Youtube channel's been deleted.

I always forget about the internet archive site despite having used it for several similar situations in the past. Thank you.

e: actually it looks like the only LP that got archived there was Rogue Warrior. :(

Garrand fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

watho posted:

I like the ________ people but their fanbase is obnoxious as all hell

I've never known a fanbase of anything to not be as obnoxious as hell. Unsurprisingly, people who stake their personal identity on only a few things they enjoy/consume become defensive, obsessive, and really annoying. And of course those are the people you'll see most often posting in/on/about said topics.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

If you hover over their avatars it's still become a link to their rap sheets (although the ban isn't actually listed for the reason mentioned above.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope the banned people get their accounts back one way or another, its kinda dumb if they're banned over twitter drama.

Lowtax ignores most poo poo thrown his way but he's historically been extremely heavy handed against people who talk poo poo about his daughter or his relationship with her so I'm not really terribly surprised he went full tilt so quickly.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ah yes, "Death to all Jews", that normal thing that normal people say and would never be associated with things like fascism or nazi-ism, especially not someone who would then post that video to be seen by millions of young impressionable viewers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Mega64 posted:

So this is the age I am alive in.

Well, we probably won't have to worry about that for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

That is pretty weird, I get that she doesn't dig Trump but she's not like an extremist about it or anything (I hope).

She's a somewhat outspoken leftish feminist with a small following, but more importantly she's a woman who makes videos about video games on the internet. So...

• Locked thread