Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smite is doing something interesting with his arcade pit series, turning it into some kind of game show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg_t8UwX-M

It's got the usual gang of idiots (Psyche, Catsworth, Madithen, DevilAzite) playing random trivia/drawing/video game challenges. It's entertaining to me because I know the personalities involved but it's kind of neat the amount of effort he's put in to make the thing work via Twitch. Some rough edges to the presentation but it's interesting nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had a friend ask me if Deadly Premonition was worth getting/playing and to answer I decided I'd send him the link the SGF's LP of it. The way I normally do this (since I've done it in the past) is go to his Videos section on YouTube and then sort by most popular and Part 1 is usually right there on the top (https://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend/videos?flow=list&sort=p&view=0). However at some point in the last while, his most popular video is an unremarkable 12 minute rundown of the Real Steal movie tie-in robot boxing game, by an almost 8 to 1 factor (826k views for Real Steel, 140k views for Deadly Premonition Pt 1). Does anyone know what happened there? It's not something I super care about, but did seem weird to just stumble across an unremarkable video from 4 years ago has 8 times the views of the first video of an LP he's most famous for doing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apparently a lot of their money comes from sponsorship deals; someone mentioned in the GBS thread about this that their most recent sponsored video with Netflix had come out and gotten a bunch of thumbs down. Their speculation was that the sponsors freaked out on them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So.....

My younger brother has expressed a desire to me that he wants to start a youtube channel about playing games and commenting on games related happenings, perhaps podcast style over his own recorded footage. He has no idea that watching LP has been my secret shame since 2006, or even that SomethingAwful exists (we live quite a ways apart, and he's 11 years younger than me), and while they're not identical there's a lot there in common. I linked him the http://salp.wikia.com/ and then got on a call with him.

I asked him what he wants to accomplish and what his influences are. He says "to have fun and learn stuff", and he got the idea from watching some mooks called Lazy Peon and Frankie In 1080p (are these guys terrible? I don't know what the young kids get up to on youtube now).

I was immediately filled with a feeling of dread, thinking he wanted to be the next Pewdiepie or Tobuscus or something. But I can kind of see it working for him; he's a musician who has overseen 2 albums for his band, and in the fall he's going to go to school to certify for being an audio recording technician. The first thing he said to me was that he thinks facecams are stupid. Lastly since he's my brother he's probably Not Stupid. He's asked for me for help not realizing that I probably know more about the whole dangle fangle than he does.

So I guess, any advice? Encourage him? Discourage him?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Golden Goat posted:

When he says he want's to "learn stuff" what does he mean, cause learning about video and audio editing would be particularly neat and it would feed sorta into what he wants to do.

I say don't discourage him. In fact why not do an LP with him.

Yeah learn stuff specifically refers to the tech side of it, he sees it as a chance to get a jump start on some of his schooling (which I've found out doesn't start until September so he's definitely going to have time).

Proooobably not going to LP with him. You know how some people have a face for radio? I have a voice and speaking mannerisms for newspaper ;)

So after having talked to him a bit more, it's not quite LPs as we know it. He doesn't want to do real-time narration of a game while it's experienced; currently he's leaning more toward a discussion/informational format, specifically related to new releases and recent events in general as they relate to games. Having reviewed his influencers it's definitely more of a blab about new games/game news play than it is a classic LP styled one, though I might suggest he tries classic LP at first, especially some of the music stuff ideas that Mega64 mentioned. Also Jobo_Fett, I remember that part of Retsuprae too, I'll have to forward that on to him.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah, I just wrote a >1500 word email to him detailing the history of let's play and how it relates to what he wants to do. Some of my favourite excerpts:

Slowbeef probably started the phenomenon but he doesn't want to take blame for it

Even though millions of gameplay videos have been published since then in a lot of ways I see how Research Indicates did things as a platonic ideal of what a Let's Play video should be

DarkSydePhil is probably, medically, retarded

Illbleed is an incredibly obtuse and nutso japanese horror game that's impossible to describe properly

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HGH posted:

I see no such things. Perhaps you're confusing it with the people mocking the "castration is misogyny" incident?
I for one am glad the bad posters are gone. They were obsessive creeps who could never shut up about banned topics, intentionally stirred poo poo, and PE sounds like a downright violent person.

And there's plenty of DSP style material to be found here too. They have more in common than you think. Really, I'll let the LP superstar speak for herself.

Who knew free employment was for rats? And rats commuting together to work to boot! But what do I know, I have a job, so I must be one of those "rat race fuckers" as well, along with most of the planet.

I think Voidburger pissed off a bunch of GamerGaters which might be where stuff like this is coming from.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Max Wilco posted:

Markiplier put out a pretty serious video, partially in relation to the PDP issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMkrXG8KMY

I've never seen this guy before but man is he goofy looking. Also cut your drat hair Markpliers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Genocyber posted:

And I thought slowbeef couldn't do better than that article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauBe5letmk

:barf:

Haha he's trying so hard to be wooden and robotic but then the Anthony Bordain anecdote starts and then a little of the old bosleef sneaks through

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Axe Master posted:

That video is a fever dream, what the hell.

The dude doesn't even lean into the gimmick at all!

Edit: I looked at the rest of the videos on the channel and I changed my mind, this is some elaborate performance piece. There's an unboxing video, a cold steel video, some hot BMX tricks...

It's kind of exactly that. lazycat619 is one of the "stars" of 12/04/1980. They went all in and made channels for those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I really want to like Jim Sterling; I like his writing, I like the stand he's taken on DMCA issues, and even how he's done it. But as soon as I see him standing at his hitler podium caressing himself with those leather (rubber?) gloves I just want to punch him and then wash my hand that punched him. I don't even know what it is, I bet I could hang out with even normally with no problem, I just can't watch his videos.

In non-punching related news, Slowbeef uploaded a video of him playing KLAX while discussing what it might mean for DSP to be fired from Machinima, and kind of explaining MCNs and other YouTuber concepts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnv5GB_xEwk

• Locked thread