Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Hoping to recoup costs isn't the same as becoming a professional content creator, though. I mean, if somebody organizes a party and asks for some money for all the food and drinks they bought, they aren't getting paid for organizing parties, are they.

This is nuance absent from the original quote, being "People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I'm going to give all of you the greatest professional advice in the history of mankind: don't count other people's money.

Also, don't go making phoney calls.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2014

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Kayfabe Phil.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

This guy made a lot of good points

• Wolf intro
  • People should focus on making things good, instead of bad. This applies to other things in life too.
  • Be yourself.
  • The real treasure was knowledge.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

quote:

Can I trust when a self-identified gamer sneers at someone like Pewdiepie when a lot of our hardcore culture likes to celebrate personalities that flaunt how cynical, jaded, annoyed or angry they are? Annoyed Gamer.

Really? Annoyed Gamer?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Irate Gamer, Angry Joe, Annoyed Gamer, Exasperated Gamer, Vexed Gamer, Irritated Gamer, Apoplectic Gamer, Choleric Gamer, and Irked Gamer unite under the banner of The Nation of Aggrevation.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TARDISman posted:

I watched one Angry Joe video and it was the one where it was 15 minutes of him crying about Geoff Keighley treating him like poo poo after the guy spent about 2 or 3 years dumping on Keighley during every VGA show. It was pretty amazing stuff.

I don't know who that is, so I looked it up and Geoff Keighley is the Dead Eyes Dorito Man. And I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNkoDzP1hI

Isn't Angry Joe also the same guy who went on a 20 minute rant about how Nintendo not allowing LP's was ruining him and he sounded like he was on the verge of tears? This guy needs medication! Also some sort of guide on how to greenscreen better.

I made it through 12 minutes of that and he's basically yelling at himself for being an idiot and bad interviewer. This is amazing. This is why YouTube personalities are cool and good and must exist. I'm lollin' here that he's ranting and raving about how he was made a fool of by the Dorito Man inside his zany spaceship.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 20, 2014

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Very carefully.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I am lucky to have attracted an erudite audience and thusly the comments sections for the videos are utopias of free-thinking and intellectualism unseen since the forums of Rome. #humblebrag

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Getting $4 million a year but having dumb comments sent to you sometimes is truly a Monkey's Paw-esque fate. I pray for Pewd to find the strength to carry on somehow.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love video games and the characters within them.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The Grumpy Gamers are at it again!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

What will pudgy fake angry man with a leather jacket and Wolverine haircut do now?

He will complain inside his space ship.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

That's sort of his gimmick, though. Like, if he didn't get upset about everything then he wouldn't be living up to his name.

He's yet another person who's success puzzles me as his videos are kind of terrible and broach anti-entertainment at times.

He has range, though; he isn't always angry. Sometimes he's whiny. Salty. This video's got it all!!! It was posted earlier in the thread, but I highly recommend you watch it if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNkoDzP1hI

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Having a name for your audience is cool.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
He's cgi like the dog on Frasier.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
This is the best thing I have ever seen in my life.

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/a-youtubers-intro-to-self-employment-taxes/#_=_

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
What is/was the deal with that site? Did people get paid to be on "Channel Awesome"? I read a lot of the stuff that Lupa and Phelous posted, but I cannot figure out what the point of it was since they apparently did not get paid yet were told how to run their shows. Was the payment the satisfaction in appearing in the god awful movies the nostalgia man wrote?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Andrast posted:

The benefit was mostly the exposure they got. Most of them were relatively unknown before appearing on the site.

That seems odd, like, how do you really quantify the exposure? Also, they seemed to create rules about how many ads the people on the site could display, whether or not people could promote patreon, etc. Like, why would you listen to people not giving you money telling you how to get money in favor of the vague prospect of maybe capturing a chunk of the audience that only goes to see Nostalgia Critic and never looks at the sidebars or whatever? Maybe that is part of why it's going "the way of the dinosaurs".

I am going to go wait in line for this movie now.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please send me the vines.

Here you go:

https://vine.co/v/O9F3YIjzMmn
https://vine.co/v/O9O2YFE1TQd
https://vine.co/v/O0BE0POt0Mw
https://vine.co/v/O20LULI62ZE
https://vine.co/v/O0MahJ7wKuJ
https://vine.co/v/OxDu7DmaEPT

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I would be flattered.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
People who have triangulated where I'm from have actually used the information to relocate farther away.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Jamesman posted:

It's good to see PewDiePie taking people to task over ridiculous titles. Hey let's check out a few of his latest videos how about.

The difference here is that one side of it has no integrity and posts bogus content to drive hits, and the other is PewDiePie.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Danaru posted:

One thing I found with /r/letsplay is that almost all of the advice given there was how to draw people in, not to actually keep them there. I don't want to watch some monotone unfunny guy regardless of how amazing his thumbnails are or how popular the game he's playing is. For strictly view count, sure, I guess it works, but actual substance seems to be secondary to them.

The odd thing about those folks that I've seen post on /r/letsplay is that they seem to have a few thousand subscribers, but still usually get less than 100 views on their videos. I don't think whatever they're doing is working if they get a bunch of subs who never watch them.

Also, not sure what's worse, using the random screenshot from the video YouTube picks from as the thumbnail or doing what that person did.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
She named herself Minecraft Chick in hopes that one day someone would invent a game called Minecraft and she could play it. Now that's a gamer!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
There's been a trend I've noticed on twitch where people buy green-screen sheets, but don't use the chroma key on them and, in fact, just sit in front of a green sheet for their face cams. I like this trend. However, that man took it to the next level by painting his room green-screen green.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Why would someone intentionally play a bad game and pretend to have a fun time? That's so stupid.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Do not hate the man, but learn from him. Johnny Carson (you kids are too young, he was like Jimmy Fallon before memes) once spoke about "the comedian's disease" where comedians would gradually stop telling jokes and just use their standup as a way to express their opinions.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
"Hey guys..."

"Oh hey..."

"Hey everyone!"

"Hey guys..."

"Hey guys..."

Wild openers here!!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well how else are you supposed to open them? It opens the communication with your audience! It comes natural since you need to act like you are having conversation with them! It's a greeting for gently caress's sake

It's not too terrible, just a missed opportunity to be inventive a little. It stuck out to me since I presume everybody was told to record a video for this minecraft figurine website thing, and it looks like most of the people just did one take and said whatever, and it came out that 50% of the videos started out very nearly the same.

quote:

edit: But to be fair, paradoxGentleman is right, there's not really a super unique way to say hello to a large number of people at once, so it is a bit irrational on my part I suppose.

I don't think it's irrational to find someone phoning it in to be irritating. If you notice it, other people do too.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
https://twitter.com/YouTubeGaming/status/609421520084058113

Finally.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

Who is that Let's Play guy who is super unimpressed with horror games?

The Nonchalant Gamer.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I think the Minecraft movie sounds cool.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Imagine Chris Pratt doing The Meme thing he did in Jurassic World (I did not see the movie but I saw the memes on imgur so I got the gist) except instead of two dinosaurs it's a creeper and a skeleton.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

It was hilarious when he was a slob and he had his legs in plaster cast and had to ask his girlfriend for snacks. I hope he'll use the minecraft movie for equally inspired performances.

Sorry I don't watch "Sunny" and this wasn't a meme on imgur so I didn't see it.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

It's from Parks and Rec you retard - what a funny series of unfunny people acting as morons.

Yea that's why I didn't watch past the first season, I heard it gets good though. I just don't have the time, though.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

dscruffy1 posted:

Are there any other sizeable let's play communities outside of SA? I'd think there has to be but my google fu is weak.

The Let's Play subreddit. Here's a snippet:

quote:

I bought the blue yeti microphone and find the quality to be poor, or better yet complete random. Some of the videos will sound perfect and what I expect, but others (well most of the time) will sound garbage. I even considered going back to the IPhone because it's consistent.

Great stuff!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
He's making $4 million a year.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a good chance he'll be fine, but look at Pewdiepie's videos and tell me this is a man who will be responsible with money

It would only make me love him more if, in fact, he were totally irresponsible with his money. Some examples:
1. Personal Theme Park
2. Monkey named "Bubbles" (classic joke here)
3. Animated Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't like this new "self-service" approach to posting. Please tell the classic joke about the Monkey named Bubbles, I want to be entertained here.

My apologies. Michael Jackson was a pop singer in the 80's and 90's who eventually became an infamous eccentric millionaire from the money he earned from his very popular music career. Among the long list of "crazy" things attributed to the man was a monkey he apparently owned named Bubbles. And so it fell into the pop-culture lexicon of the day that whenever someone was described as a crazy rich guy, often the humorous implication of monkey-ownership followed.

• Locked thread