Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I would recommend Kikoskia. A fairly inoffensive YouTube LPer who focuses a lot on older games. Doesn't try to be wacky or anything. Just some of those good old "background noise" style of LP that you sometimes want to have going on.

As an example, here's Simon the Sorcerer - Part 2.

I also really enjoy following the limitless failings of DSP, but in the process, it came to my attention that I apparently live near him. I don't think I can accurately describe how a revelation like that feels, but it's not a good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

You know what you must now do. You must rid the world of DSP forever.

Find out where he lives.

And put a minor obstacle in front of his house.

I know exactly where he lives. :(

Funnily enough, this information was made available through his fans, not the people that hate him. His critics know where to draw the line.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

I loving love DarkSyde Phil.

Maybe he really is the Andy Kaufman of Let's Play. This is loving hilarious to me.

Also note that in the comment, he is absolving himself of all blame. It's not HIS fault he forgot to actually unbox the game. It's not HIS fault he uploaded the video where nothing happens. It's the bugged fire alarm mechanics that caused those things to happen!

Phil knows full well what he's doing. If he actually put the effort into his videos, he would be vastly cutting down on the amount of content he would be able to push out, and he doesn't believe that there would be an increase in views to account for the loss of production. He churned out 200 unedited camcorder videos of Dragon Age for 1,000 views each over the course of a month, and that's the safe option for him. To do direct capture, to edit down videos, to release an LP of that game, from start to finish over a longer period of time with a more thoughtful play style, is too much of a risk for him.

It's not a matter of him being able to do the work (he probably can't). He just wants to milk his viewer base as much as he can and is afraid of doing anything differently that would lose what he has.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Just a quick FYI, he's switched to direct capture. There was a big stink from his fanbase over the switch, but his stuff is actually not awful to at least look at.

I'm not so sure of that. It is my understanding that he only uses direct capture for the streaming capabilities, but still uses his camcorder for all other gaming videos. So any videos that aren't done at the same time as a stream are going to be filmed off his TV. My only experience with his playthroughs has been the "This is how you DON'T play" series and the Kojima World Order stuff, but I thought a lot of the stuff was recent and a lot of the stuff was camcorder.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Back when the Duke Nukem Forever demo came out, I watched someone, who I now think might have been DSP play it, loving camcordering their PC to do so. A couple of people in the contents asked why he doesn't use FRAPS or whatever and the response from several of his fans was "fraps introduces lag".

:psyduck:

His Black Mesa videos were done with his camcorder recording his monitor.

What a glorious experience that was to watch.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 18, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure I want him to stop! There's just no like bottom; it's incredible!

That said, I genuinely don't think I can make it through his videos (I can't even make it through the "This is how you DON'T play" videos, because they're so long).

The "This is how you DON'T play" videos are enlightening. They're not at all about showing how Phil plays games badly, but how Phil is contradictory in his comments, constantly blaming everything but himself when he fails, actively refuses to listen or pay attention to anything, is obnoxious, childish, inconsiderate, racist, and disturbingly violently sexual.

When they say "This is how you DON'T play," they mean "This is how you DON'T function as a human being among other human beings."

slowbeef posted:

I actually did want to see how he'd react to the surprise twist in the Bell Gargoyle boss fight of Dark Souls, but I couldn't find which video it was because they're all just Dark Souls playthrough part ___. All his videos are like that.

I really don't think he likes games as much as he thinks he does. He just sort of slogs through them for video content.

He explicitly said in his Dark Souls playthrough that he said that he wouldn't even be playing the game if he wasn't getting paid for it. He's admitted he doesn't like games and is only doing it for money.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FailAtMagic posted:

I certainly wouldn't miss if this thread stopped talking about DSP.

Sure thing. We could talk about PewDiePie, Markiplier, Toby Games, Game Champs, Ghetto Gaming, Shane, Smosh,

Or even this.

Pick your poison, FailAtMagic. I dare you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this a bit, but there's one issue in here that crops up from time to time: it's like, it's never okay to discuss LP.

We have to attach the same amount of shame to our interests as a stripper has to attach to their job when visiting the family at Thanksgiving.

We are nerds. We have spent all our lives being the outcasts, and taught that who we are and what we do is "wrong" and "not normal," so anytime we talk about anything we like, we feel the need to acknowledge that it's bad. We pre-empt the world and tell them that, yes, we know we suck and everything we like is stupid. You don't have to tell us that. You don't have to pick on us anymore; We are doing it ourselves.

Nevermind that the concept of a nerd and nerd interests is a bullshit relic. We all grew up in a time where if you liked fantasy or comic books or video games, you were stupid, so you feel the need to identify yourself as stupid now.

Meanwhile, everyone else wonders what the gently caress your problem is, then goes back to watching Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead and playing games on their phone.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

It's not a matter of self-deprecation, it's a matter of acceptance. LP'ing a game is roughly on the same level of "coolness" as D&D is to the general public. It's fine and pretty fun if you're in the loop but it's not something you would bring up at a social gathering if you don't want people to think you're a dweeb.

That's exactly what self-deprecation is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

I knew he yelled at people for beating him/not beating him in fighting games, but did he really blame them for not getting enough views?

I loving love this guy!

DSP Tries It: Insulting His Fans

Featuring the following snippets;

-A YouTube comment thread where a fan gives constructive criticism on what they want to see Phil do with his vlogs. Phil calls him a loving idiot.
-Says his fans all have ADHD because the views on his playthroughs gradually drop as a playthrough goes on and they don't have the attention span to keep watching.
-His girlfriend antagonizes the stream chat during a stream of Kingdom Hearts by saying KH sucks. Chat responds. Phil shuts down the chat to punish his viewers and calls them immature little shits.
-A snippet from a call including YouTube comments where a guy points out irony in Phil doing something he bitched at Toby Turner (TobyGames?) for doing in the past. Phil responded by telling him to die, calling him a troll, and blocking him.

Missing from this video;

-Whenever he does an impression of his fans asking him questions he thinks are dumb, where he pushes up invisible glasses and speaks in a nasally voice.
-A session of an online game where someone else that was logged in tried to engage in friendly conversation and help him figure things out was met with insults and demands that he shut up (Phil couldn't figure out how to mute people. The guy was even kind-hearted enough to try and teach Phil how to do that.)
-That whole thing where the guy built a computer for him and tried to teach him streaming/direct capture, and Phil poo poo all over him and claimed he was ripped off because he was too dumb to learn how to stream as quickly as he wanted to.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Jon's replacement is also internet famous. Danny Sexbang from Ninja Sex Party.

I would like Game Grumps significantly more if Egoraptor was kicked off his own show, and we were left with Danny, Ross, and Barry.

Just a show where people shoot the poo poo with one another while actually focusing on games and completing them and not making frustratingly dumb statements every 10 minutes (like saying how they support Ron Paul). That would be a good show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh Phil :allears:

For those who don't want to watch: Phil gives a big speech before a stream of FFXIII: Lightning Returns about how other people have given up on the game because it's bad and they were only playing it for the money, but he's not like that and he's a true gamer and he's in it for the long haul and is gonna finish it for everyone!

Cut to him giving up at the final boss, then finding footage of the ending cutscene on YouTube to stream in place of him actually beating the game himself. Gets called out on it, and he tells them to shut the gently caress up and not to "hold people on YouTube up to their selfish standards."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember when LPs were posted as threads in the Games forum. Some posters were very, very upset about having to see a few LP threads here and there that they had to glance their eyes past to find the threads they DID want to click on, so they whined and whined until LPs were forced into their own subforum, which simply encouraged folks to make more and more LPs to justify there being a whole subforum dedicated to it. If people hadn't gotten so angry about them and drawn so much attention to them, Let's Plays might have just been a passing fad on the forums.

So through all that attention, I started to take notice of them. I'd say with the posting of the Majora's Mask LP by Maxwell Adams, I realized it was something I wanted to contribute to.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to do that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TARDISman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_AOnKJQO0 Oh good, a scarecam WITH reading text on screen. Even comes with an obnoxious intro, I think it's my birthday.

You'd think someone who insists on reading everything out loud would at least be competent at reading out loud. I also love how bewildered he is over the concept of canned coffee.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Egoraptor.

Is an animator.

Has someone else animate for him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made it 1:50 into that video. What is happening here? Why do you want me to watch this?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried watching more, but I don't think I have the stomach to make it through the whole thing. It's just the most awkward thing, and it makes me feel so bad about everything.

He pulls out a candle and flowers and starts singing a song about her. And then he's like "You like the beach huh? HOW ABOUT THIS?" *pulls up picture of a beachside restaurant, places facecam in empty seat*

Here's his Twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/nosleeptv

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Since we were on the topic of Game Grumps recently, I thought I'd bring up Table Flip. It's an interesting side project of theirs where they play tabletop games and wear funny outfits. As I understand it, it's primarily Barry and Suzy's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVy8le8oyo

Seems like it could bring exposure to some lesser known tabletop games.

Also, it gives me an excuse to use :livintrope:

"Primarily Barry and Suzy" in the sense that Barry and Suzy are on the show, and Arin and Danny are pretty much the only guests they ever have. Then Suzy sits there while everyone else talks about god-knows-what and sometimes says "OK guys stop enjoying yourselves and let's get back to the game." It's loving horrible.

If you want a show about board games, watch TableTop instead. Funnily enough, Table Flip uses almost all the same games, but TableTop is a show where the people enjoy playing the games and they're not annoying ADHD shitbags while they play.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're not watching for the game anyway, man. You're watching for the people. That's why we have facecams. Facecams that get bigger every day.

One day we're just gonna have videos where it's nothing BUT facecam. You're just watching people react to the video games that may or may not exist offscreen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

So PewdiePie's Demographic is... Old Men like over 40, and young men under 18?

The NAMBLA demographic.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey Slowbeef, how come you didn't tell us you and DSP were best friends now?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Elders Reacts to Pewdiepie
Bonus Footage

Which is, of course, a follow-up to when they had teens do it a little over a year ago.

Teens React to Pewdiepie
Bonus Footage

People watching a montage of Pewdiepie's videos, giving opinions on if they like it, and what they're thoughts are on people watching other people playing video games. I thought it would be worth bringing up for the thread, but I warn you that watching these videos means having to hear Pewdiepie's screeching for a few minutes.

The way I took the reactions, I found it interesting how the teens and elders shared similar opinions. While the elders weren't quite as understanding of Let's Plays, they didn't all necessarily poo poo all over it either. At the same time, the teens seem to be more aware and accepting of the concept, but didn't necessarily care much about it. A sort of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other kind of thing, if you will.

As for Pewdiepie himself, it seems like a similar amount of people in both groups found him enjoyable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm gonna guess that those video montages were cherry-picked to exclude PDP's "rape" moments if anyone managed to find them even remotely enjoyable.

Did not notice any rape comments, but there was a very explicit screaming about period blood.

Also when I said a similar amount of people found him enjoyable, I meant the majority out of both the elders and the teens weren't fans. The teens were more charitable and it was more vague (not everyone gave an answer, some people said things like "I'm not sold yet." and stuff), but the elders video had a count where the totals were 3-7 in favor of disliking him. The teens video also had 3 definite positive remarks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
As of yesterday, I have begun an experiment.

After going over the argument between slowbeef and DarkSydePhil on DSP's forum, one thing stuck out to me in Phil's comments; That his detractors are only seeing one half of the story by only focusing on the negative. By only looking at selective clips edited together into montages, we are (or in this case, I am) assuming that it is a perfect, accurate representation of his YouTube offerings as a whole.

Now, the first thing to note is that there is a fair amount of material to work with that shows Phil in a very negative light, and that's why so many of these videos exist and continue to pop up. There's just so much to work with. What if he's right though? What if we are just boiling everything down to the pure negative aspects and taking them out of context? What if those things really are just a fraction of a much larger whole? What if there is actually plenty of good to go with the bad?

That is what this experiment is about. I am delving into the world of DSP for myself to see what opinion I can form based on my own observations from his videos. In the meantime, I ask for opinions from this thread and to give your own input on the (currently hypothetical) questions asked above.

I will chronicle my experiences as a viewer of DSP's videos and my opinions on them, for however long it lasts. The way I will conduct this experiment will be the same as I would handle any other viewing for gaming videos, which means I have no intention of watching absolutely every video he has ever posted. I do intend to watch a fair sampling of videos, but what I watch depends heavily on my interest in a game, his ability to entertain, and my availability/interest in watching videos.

Wish me luck.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day One, Part One

When it comes to most big gaming channels, I will go to the playlists page and hope that things are well sorted for my viewing pleasure. Phil has accomplished this pretty well, and that is something not everyone does. I was pleased that, even though he has over 25,000 videos, they all seem to be properly sorted into playlists and properly titled to make things easily looked through and searchable.

I began to look at the newest playlists and work my way down from there. As I looked at the titles and at the numbers of videos in each playlist, I started to feel uneasy. I started to feel like something was wrong, and I shouldn't be here.

As of April 1, 2014;

Final Fantasy X HD
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 18th, 2014
-Number of Videos: 39
-Total Runtime: 7 Hours

inFAMOUS: Second Son
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 21nd, 2014
-Number of Videos: 42 for Good playthrough playlist, 55 for Evil playthrough playlist
-Total Runtime: 17 Hours

Titanfall
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 11th, 2014
-Number of Videos: 17
Total Runtime: 3 hours

Dark Souls II
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 11th, 2014
Number of Videos: 187
Total Runtime: YouTube would not calculate. A very rough, inaccurate estimate would suggest ~27 hours.

I could go on like this for a long, long time, but I won't. The point of this is what I was seeing was a lot of brand new releases, and it really seems like the videos were being pumped out at a rate that would have to be unpleasant for Phil. In turn, it made me feel unpleasant.

While I'm sure (hell, I know) there are people who enjoy watching videos of new releases, I tend to not be one of them, so Phil's efforts were wasted on me. I continued to look through his playlist for older games, games I was familiar with, or if I had to go with a new title, one I was definitely not going to buy down the line when it was cheaper.

I first took note of a playlist for Dragon Age, which was a game I enjoyed well enough. I picked the original and its expansion up for very cheap at a K-mart, and then bought the complete edition when I realized it was cheaper to buy that than all the DLC separately. Then I got all the trophies. Yep, I had a lot of fun with that game. But Phil's playlist(s) for it totaled 220 videos, so it was probably not ideal for my first outing, so I decided to save it for later, and continued on.

After staring in awe at a 10-video playlist where he spends over 2 hours creating a DarkSydePhil create-a-wrestler in WWE 2K14, I finally managed to keep scrolling down until I found something to watch - A co-op playthrough of Super Mario World with a fellow by the name of John Rambo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

gatz posted:

Is that really worth the time? DSP's content is terrible by SA's standards. Isn't that enough for you?

Highwang posted:

Back in the day when he started The Witcher 2 I tried to do this myself. Don't bother. The montages we see show him at his worst, but at his best he's boring or barely competent.

RSCNyx posted:

Don't do this. Don't do this. Trust me, it's not worth it, man.

ritcheyz posted:

I'm thinking of some kind of quote about looking into abysses here.

Attestant posted:

Have thine own respect, go not yonder knocking for nothing, I say!

The point of this isn't to see how much Phil sucks. I am not going into this expecting or looking for badness. I have an open mind and am seeing for myself what I like and don't like about Phil's efforts and will see what comes out of it. That is the point of the experiment, and maybe something will be gained as a result of it.

Previously, my opinions of Phil have been based entirely on what has been shown to me by others. While I can't (maybe even won't, or shouldn't) clear my mind of those established opinions, I am not carrying those opinions in with me into this.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Is that new? All his stuff is usually: "The Witcher pt 82." with a default channel description.

I'm only talking about the playlists here. The playlists are titled by game, so you can say "Oh, this is the playlist for this game." and you can search for the game title and find the playlist for that game. You would be very surprised how many channels have poo poo playlists. It also appears to be current with his most recent videos and might even go as far back as the start of the channel, but it's difficult to tell because YouTube fucks everything up.

I wasn't referring to video titles or descriptions.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

Thing is, everyone has good / watchable points. I enjoyed a few of PDP's early Happy Wheels videos until he started getting creepy and rapey with the kid on the bike. I'm sure DSP isn't 100% offensive and awful at all times.

There's just so many clip videos - all with unrepeated material - that show him as an redemption-less fucksack. It's a lot of negative evidence; even if the remainder of his content is fine or bearable, why sort through the rest of the filth?

As his peers, we've concentrated Phil down to his most negative aspects. Phil and his fans claim that by doing so, we're taking him out of context.

The experiment is to see what Phil is like in context. When these negative aspects are incorporated into the larger picture, do you have really have a "redemption-less fucksack?"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day One, Part Two

I consider it very hard to make interesting videos out of Super Mario World. Mario is a staple of video games, and Super Mario World is a staple of video game videos. If you ever think about doing a playthrough of Super Mario World or a Super Mario World romhack for the internet, stop, and think long and hard about what the hell you could possibly do that would make it worth watching.

So why did I start out with something I was so down on from the get-go? I considered it a palette cleanser; Something nice and simple that Phil would putz around in, without any real chance of him being offensive or annoying (though I was curious to see if he could). I also wanted to see more of this John Rambo.

In my opinion, from a first impression, John and Phil don't really work well together. I don't know if John Rambo makes videos of his own or not, or what his non-working relationship is with Phil, but it's like they're both used to doing their own thing, and neither of them really feel comfortable with one another. John mumbles (could just be bad mic placement), Phil brings up forced, banal game trivia, some awkward attempts at jokes are made, reading of game text is done. It was uninteresting to me, and though I can't say I was expecting something great, I can say I was expecting something more out of a pair of commentators.

When it comes to gameplay, my definition of "good" is someone playing the game in a way that's not dumb. You can play a game blind and you can play a game bad, so long as you don't play like an idiot. That's pretty vague and everyone's opinion is different. It doesn't matter at this point. I did not see any dumb playing here. They played Super Mario World. They ran and jumped and remembered some things about a 13-year-old game and forgot some other things about a 13-year-old game.

Before they started, they lamented the existence of input lag due to using an LCD TV. Phil seemed to adjust to it fairly quickly, while John struggled.

Anyway, about halfway through the 3rd video (out of 41), I thought to myself "I am not enjoying this." and I stopped watching.

Conclusion based on 2 1/2 videos of Super Mario World (approximately 17 minutes):

DSPositivity: Phil and John reminisce about a classic Nintendo game from their childhood, shows some excitement over re-discovering things and collecting 1ups.
DSNegativity: Nothing directly, but Phil and John's lack of chemistry makes watching the videos a wearying experience.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Two

With the palette cleanser behind me, I jumped in with both feet to my next playlist. Posted just a couple of days before the first video for SMW, was Phil's first video for God of War.

Do I really need to explain why this caught my eye?

Phil kept the introductions short and sweet as he booted up the game, only to be met with a game update. I really can't understand how a person could prepare to sit down and record/stream a game and not make sure the game was up to date first, but hopefully it was a one-off flub on his part, and thankfully it was a speedy update. After the chat helped him adjust the audio levels I was able to hear his commentary.

I don't understand Phil's humor. I do not understand what he's going for. Often, he's mocking the game for things that don't make sense, like imitating sound effects from the game, but not at all in the way they actually sound. Sometimes, he's making very juvenile and unsophisticated comments, like saying Poseidon needs a breath mint, or saying an enemy is looking at Kratos' balls, or saying the hydra needs a breath mint (a lot of breath mint humor). Sometimes, he will latch onto an idea, and have a very difficult time letting it go, like deciding the lyrics to the music are "me gusta, tacos locos" and carrying along those lines with various Taco Bell-related comments for quite a while. He also really, really enjoys referring to people in the game as assholes, regardless of their roles. I just do not get it.

Phil played fairly well. I don't believe it was his first God of War game, as I glanced at some of the comments and they mentioned he played God of War 3 before this one. He was thorough in exploring areas for hidden chests (though there are not many hidden areas to find in the first part of the game), and he used a nice variety of attacks against enemies, and blocked to avoid taking a lot of damage. One thing that did confuse me was how he would put experience orbs toward upgrading, when he didn't have enough to upgrade, leaving me to wonder if he thought that actually did anything or not.

After making a passing comment that signaled he thought the game was based in Roman mythology, and another comment and made it clear he knew nothing about mythology at all, he defeated the hydra (hydras, as he thought they were) and celebrated with a thunderous belch. It was soon approaching the moment I was dreading, and anticipating, the most.

How do I accurately explain what happened next? Given past exposure to Phil's crazed, violent, sexual deviancy in anti-fan videos, I tried to prepare myself for... something. I was not prepared for :nws: THIS! :nws:

And that was a good stopping point for me.

Conclusions based on 4 videos of God of War HD (Approximately 45 minutes):

DSPositivity: Phil beats enemies into the ground while calling things assholes.
DSNegativity: Phil beats jokes into the ground while calling things assholes. Also belching at your audience is unwelcome. Mute button, Phil.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize the "censor" wasn't actually censoring. I was just too mesmerized by everything. I added NWS tags now. Sorry about that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part One

I went further back into Phil's playlists, looking for titles that would jump out to me as being appealing to watch. I hummed and hawed and kept scrolling down, until I was going back through videos from roughly a year ago, into an era when Phil was still recording his videos using a camcorder aimed at his television.

Not quite ready to settle in and watch videos using this type of execution, I went back up and decided to deposit my rain check and watch the videos for Dragon Age: Origins. After some quick introductions where Phil defended his decisions (to nobody in particular) to play the digital release of the base game on the 360, he booted up the game.

The remainder of the 17 minutes, 45 second video consisted of the game's introductory cutscene, followed by Phil's extremely difficult type choosing a gender, race, and class. Sitting there dumbfounded, not knowing what to do, lamenting the small size of the default breasts for the female characters, misreading numbers. After much struggling, Phil reluctantly settles on a male human mage, which I believe he attempts to name "Mine Kraftsucks," but it's too long a name, so he settles for "Dykslong."

Fine tuning the character's appearance takes place for the first half of the second video, as well as a complimentary belch. At this point, I had to skip the remainder of the character creation, because Phil was non-stop rotating the character back-and-forth while making his changes, and it was just making me motion sick. 28 minutes of video, and we can finally begin the game proper.

At this time, I'd like to comment on the technical aspects of Phil's videos. In my last outing, with God of War, I noticed frequent audio stutters, which I thought was something wrong with my computer, but I eventually realized were actually in the videos. I also thought that for an HD game, his video didn't look very HD, but I considered maybe the game's HD upgrade just wasn't very good, and didn't do any comparisons.

As I'm watching Dragon Age, I notice the brightness and contrast seem to be very off, with many details obscured and things just generally not looking that great. This time, I did to a comparison, doing a search for "Dragon Age Origins Mage" and using the very first result that came up.

MisterShizno's video is from the PC version, but that should make very little difference regarding the issues I'm referring to in this instance. I would say Phil needs to spend less time fine-tuning his video game characters, and more time fine-tuning his video output.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

There's not much better you can make a camcorder LP.

This is one of his more recent LPs, which is using direct capture. This is from a direct feed that he is simultaneously recording and streaming on twitch.tv.

I don't know what exactly is the cause for his videos coming out like that.

slowbeef posted:

How many parts of this experiment do you think you'll be doing?

Is it helpful for me to ask for "best stuff/indicative stuff?" Or do you want to keep things, uh, objective?

I'm going as long as my interest holds out, which means until I say "OK I don't care anymore." or something along those lines. A week, maybe?

Give me whatever input you've got. I'll either take it or I won't, depending on what impact I feel it will have on my experiment, or how capable I am in actually completing the suggestion.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part Two, and Days Four, Five, and Six

Phil's glaring technical issues aside, I've been finding his Dragon Age playthrough inoffensive enough that I've been able to sit through 19 videos, and counting. If you consider everything "not bad" that has happened in this playthrough thus far to be "good," then there has been a lot of good. I can have a positive outlook on things and say things have been good. Good enough that I have kept watching. There just hasn't been anything great.

And then there's the things that are not good that leave the most impact. The burps and the constant clearing of his throat, I just find really bad form and unprofessional. Out of all the people I've watched that do gaming videos, he's the only one who I can say makes bodily functions into a signature. With the exception of Ren & Stimpy, this is not OK. This is something a person - especially someone who is using their voice for their career - should be actively aware of and dealing with.

Phil also struggles with observational and logic skills. We all have those "brain fart" moments where we don't make connections between things, or we overlook something, or misread something. Phil does these enough where they start to add up. Again, like with the burping and stuff, it's about presentation. I'm not faulting someone for being a bad gamer or making mistakes, but when you make a lot of mistakes and you're presenting yourself as a professional, you should be actively aware of it and dealing with it.

I've also come up to a "blame the game" moment in the playthrough; Phil returns from the wilds, and was supposed to turn in an item for a side quest. He dd not and proceeded with the main plot, missing the window. I'm not sure what brought his attention back to the side quest, but when he discovered the quest was failed, he blamed the game for forcing him into a cutscene instead of letting him turn in the quest at his convenience, then had words with the stream chat when they apparently commented on it.

When you pair the above two paragraphs together, maybe I can understand Phil's defensive stance and lack of humility in such circumstances. That doesn't mean I enjoy his displacement of blame. It just means I can maybe see what causes it.

I'm almost 1/11th of the way through the Dragon Age playlist. I wonder if I might actually end up watching the whole thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

His Dragon Age playthrough has over 200 videos? Are they 5 minutes long or something?

It's 220 videos. They tend to be at least 10 minutes long, but I have yet to understand how he chooses where to cut between videos. Almost every cut is arbitrary, which no rhyme or reason behind it.

slowbeef posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

Roar posted:

Basically Jamesman is trying really hard to be objective about him for the sake of the experiment but there's not much blood getting squeezed from the rock.

Essentially what Roar said.

This experiment isn't about focusing on the negative, so I'm trying to point out that there's not-bad-stuff in Phil's videos. If the opposite of "bad" is "good," then one might say that Phil's videos have their fair share of good in them.

Phil belching into the mic is bad, but how about all the times he's NOT belching into the mic?

I'm really trying here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Seven

Continuing on with the Dragon Age playthrough, I got up to a part in which Phil recruited two new party members, and put them into his active group, but didn't give them any equipment. When he got into a battle soon after, his allies were quickly and predictably slaughtered. Instead of realizing what he'd done and reloading, Phil did the next best thing; Running throughout the town while being chased for over 10 minutes, while his allies auto-revived and got killed over and over again until the fight was somehow won.

After struggling to procure enough injury kits for his wounded allies (it's the game's fault for having limited merchant supplies), Phil did some other things, but it was really hard to concentrate on anything after that. I felt very mentally worn out. I finished video #30, and I decided that, with my first week behind me, I'm taking today off to consider where I want to go from here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

People have mentioned multiple times in this thread that Phil doesn't edit his videos, he has an automated setup that records his video footage, chops it into pieces of predetermined length (which can make for some pretty insane cutoffs, I'm given to understand), and automatically posts them to his youtube channel. Phil's actual involvement beyond "playing" the game is minimal, so every unprofessional-rear end thing he does makes it to video, and evidently his fans eat it up.

So far, I've only looked through the videos that he's done while also streaming, but those videos are not edited at pre-determined lengths. The runtime for each video varies wildly, with him making conscious choices where to cut off each one and start the next.

Those conscious choices do not always make for the most ideal cutting points. It appears Phil doesn't take any sort of timing into account during his streams, so it's like forcing ad breaks into a movie being aired on television. I do not know if this was any different when he was just recording videos by himself and not simultaneously streaming for an audience.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

Uh, that seems like a bit of an overreaction bro

Our beloved Richard has made quite a name for himself by spamming his videos on the forum, and I believe he even failed a mod challenge.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

Vintagebeef's not too bad.

He's also slowbeef's brother.

(ok not really)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

I know Markiplier has been mentioned a couple times in this thread so far, and I really don't know much about him aside from that he does voices/screaming and plays a lot of horror games. This question in the Friend Zone panel got a really good response from him though - and makes me think he's a pretty smart and savvy dude.

Fair warning, most of that video is pretty cringeworthy.

Markiplier when he's not in character comes off as a pretty enjoyable guy to watch. I kind of wish he would drop the whole "Pewdiepie Junior" act and do his gaming thing as himself because then he might have something watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

That's like saying "Don't call DarkSidePhil an American :( Call him a Connecticutter if you must."

Lazyfire posted:

Please don't call him that as it implies terrible things about my state. Call him a Stratfordite if you must. Ain't no one want to be associated with DSP.

You guys are assholes. :(

• Locked thread