Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Hi, and welcome to the non-SA YouTube/Twitch/Let's Play/video game video playthrough thread. In here, we discuss LP-related videos, groups, and sites that aren't posted on SA.

Typically, this stuff tends to fall into the Sandcastle and Recommendation threads, so why not its own? Feel free to bring up people/things you like/dislike/think are interesting, whatever.

Special Rules:

1. This is a positive and negative thread. We're not looking for Retsupurae material - feel free to talk about people/groups outside of here you think are great and need more exposure. Also feel free to bring up that guy on Twitch who faked being paralyzed for donations.

2. "Don't touch the poop/No Internet Detectiving." If you find a lovely LPer you'd like to bring up to make fun of and all that, that is acceptable here, but don't go beyond what they've posted on their channel or related media. Example: If you'd like to talk about a bad LPer, consider videos posted or are posted about them fair game, or even their official Facebook/Twitter stuff. If you find their real name - even if they've disclosed it - and are able to look up something about their personal lives - that is over the line.

Basically, your objective should never be to destroy someone on the Internet. I mean, it's still just dumb videos at the end of the day.

3. Make sure your post is content-ful. Don't just post "This guy rules/sucks!" Try to include a bit about why you're posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I was gonna start with something good, but gently caress that, because there's one guy I wanted to talk about for awhile. ZiloanOP is - or was - a twitch.tv gamer, paralyzed from the waist down. He got about $20,000 in donations from people watching his livestreams. It's scarecam LP type of stuff, but for a good cause, right?

Except, whoops, he made one video where it turns out he's not actually paralyzed, and was scamming everyone. (Note his girlfriend try to tell him on the stream that he accidentally got up from the chair in front of the camera.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M

Twitch banned him and are trying to refund his donations.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also, to address a DarkSydePhil thing from the Sandcastle:

David D. Davidson posted:

Since we're talking about the podcast let me just say the Slowbeef got the story about phil and his computer wrong.
Okay so from what I under stand is that it when phil first got started and was gaining popularity Chris Furtado (aka the Mightyfurtado) and his friend Teo sent Phil a message say "hey is it cool if we make a site for you" Phil said yes and then they made thekingofhate.com. About a year or so later Phil posted on his website that he was in the market for a gaming PC and so Chirs and Teo contacted him again and said that they were doing an intership with Tigerdirect and would be willing to build him a gaming PC,and so it went more or less like you said on the video, they screwed up on the ram but besides that and the case getting cracked when they were shipping it to him everything was fine. They even threw in a bunch of software for him including Amensia, Crysis, and Sony Vegas Pro 10. Okay so then Slowbeef and Chip made their little video earlier this year. As a result, Phil is suddenly put under immense pressure to switch to direct capture. So he finally gives in and buys a hauppauger HD PVR. He then streams himself setting it up and calls on Chris and Teo for help. During the evening he starts getting frustrated when he has trouble setting it up for Livestreaming with his PS3 and begins lashing out and Chris and Teo and saying they the PC that they built for him is a lemon and that they ripped him off and generally berating them. A few days later during one of his Vlogs he tries to explain himself and then again starts laying into them and demanding that they give him the site and that they should apologize.

So in short Phil is an rear end in a top hat and Chris and Teo should be considered heroes for putting up with his poo poo for so long.

There's a whole lot more to DSP than we talked about in our podcast. I based what I said on a video that Mighty Furtado had put out, but didn't know that level or detail, nor that DSP had gotten the Hauppage as any sort of response to Chip's video with me. Or mine with Chip. Or however you want to put that.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

EphemeralToast posted:

I hadn't heard of this guy before, and this is a scummy thing to do. But I just want to make sure that people understand that sometimes people in wheelchairs don't need to use them every second of every day. Sometimes people with chronic health conditions use crutches or a cane normally, then have a bad day and need to use the chair, for example. Sometimes people use wheelchairs for exhaustion or pain issues, not because of paralysis. Just because you see a person get up and walk away from a wheelchair does not automatically mean they are a faking shithead.

That said, if the guy specifically said he is completely paralyzed from the waist down and then does this, he is not only a shithead but making life harder for those of us with legitimate disabilities to be taken seriously, so gently caress him.

You're right, and I've thought about that before, but a few things:

1. His girlfriend is pretty clearly in on it. She talks to him in code to let him know the camera's on him.

2. Their story changed a couple of times. Firstly, according to him, he got up to get his dog a bowl of water or something, and immediately fell over off-camera (though he still manages to push the camera down when he realizes, somehow). Then, his girlfriend claimed he had undergone physical therapy and was able to stand for short periods.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Agent Interrobang posted:

Let's talk about an awesome youtube LPer for a while, and one I personally think deserves a lot more exposure than he gets: Un, proprietor of I Played A Thing.

Thanks for a good writeup. I will check him out.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Law posted:

If there's a code to that frantic rambling I am not able to decipher it.

At 0:32, he stands up and she says "Oh my God," but tries to segue it. "He hangs out at fish shops and stuff." She says a fish a couple times to clue him in that the fishtank is on camera. (Not great, but it's what she can see.) Then she mentions the dog sitting on her lap and peeing on her lap.

So what's odd is the non-sequitir story (which ends pretty much right after he readjusts the camera) where she's saying "fish" and "lap. Basically her phrasing's weird considering what's going on.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Wait, is this that idiot that messaged Slowbeef about how he was the first person to do a video Let's Play a while back?

The weird thing is he actually messaged baldurk.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

John Liver posted:

Jesse was actually Retsupuraed at one point, having made a very repetitive, unfunny video of I Wanna Be The Guy. However, I think this is kind of an unfair look at him. That video portrayed him as obnoxious, uncreative and more than a little dumb - and I agree with the third point - but he's not a scumbag.

For the record, I don't think Jesse's video was intended to paint him as a scumbag.

We actually talked awhile after the fact - he thought our video was funny, but didn't like the fact that a few RP people went after him (like fans of ours flooding his video with comments). So I apologized for that, and it's one of the reasons we've mentioned a few times that we don't want people harassing other channels, videos, etc. (Also part of the reason we don't do standard Retsupurae videos as frequently as we used to.)

At any rate, he's a nice guy, and I didn't find anything so outrageously bad about him save for that Yakov Smirnov joke. (that's a joke btw) When I did the video, I'd had no idea who it was, or if he was popular or anything - it was kind of a funny idea that materialized in my head and went where it did.

Lazyfire posted:

Slowbeef's internet best friend TotalBiscuit did/does a Terraria series with Jesse. From that I learned that Jesse relies on complete randomness to be funny, which really doesn't work for me personally.

They do a bunch together, including Biscuit's podcast. I think they're friends in real life to some degree.

Cox's stuff probably wouldn't fly here, though I've been wrong about that before. He's what I'd call "high energy," and mostly relies on his personality to carry the video. I like more of a "highlight-the-game" type of LP. That said, he doesn't scream in your ear 24/7 or regurgitate nonsense catchphrases. I watched him play Dead Space 3 with Dodger, and that seemed like a fun "fuckaround" style of LP. Again, not really my thing, but I can see why people dig it.

If you want to see for yourself, his channel is inexplicably named omfgcata as in http://www.youtube.com/user/omfgcata

Help Im Alive posted:

Do many of these people make a living from doing LPs? Or is it only possible if you're one of the super popular ones like PDP?

Making a living from YouTube is just the weirdest thing to me.

Well, as I understand it, PDP is in a league of his own. No one (meaning LPers or video game shows) even comes close to touching his numbers.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 11, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Dias posted:

Don't pull a DSP is what I'm saying.

I think Phil is ... you know I've ragged on him a lot, so lemme temper that.

I don't think he's doing it for that reason, per se. He just doesn't seem to get certain things. He asks "why aren't people watching subsequent videos of my series?" and even I can tell you it's because views always drop off after video 1, almost as a rule. Even our more popular stuff (Darkseed 2, for example) - the first video always does way better than the others.

So, while he probably wants his views and subs to go higher, I don't think he has a firm grasp on how to do that. He probably knows on some level GTA5 will bring him more views, but I don't know that he does it for that sake specifically. You'd also think he'd realize "don't be a dick to your fans" would go a long way too.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Zain posted:

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

I never gave thought to editing Wrongpuraes until recently. It was something we just sort of fell into doing.

Basically, Betus came to NYC on a business trip. Usually when we meet up, I have something prepared - it's a lot easier to do RP in person, I've found. (See also: Multiplayer Metroid Prime Echoes) That time, I just didn't have anything, but mentioned I'd watched a longplay of Last Alert. We had a couple of drinks and decided "what the hell, give it a go".

When we were done, I actually was against posting it since it seemed like Lazy Let's Play, but he convinced me, and people liked it so we tried it with other things.

We ended up doing Darkseed 1, and I really, really wanted to do Darkseed 2 just to see his reaction to "the big event." Crendor's longplay - with all the waiting - was the best I'd found. Others tended to cut too much (the clown is completely skipped in one). I tried to play it myself, but good luck getting a Windows 3.1 game running on DOSBOX on a loving Mac. (I tried - my old LP was done on my now defunct PC.)

We went with Crendor's and some of it actually worked out okay (Dawson inexplicably hanging out in his bathroom for no good reason) and it made the ring tossing thing into a running gag which I didn't intend at all. But that said, yeah, there's some serious downtime in there. Maybe I should try editing that.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video.

Yeah, exactly.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey slowbeef, I've been listening to Retsutalk since the beginning but I haven't kept up with your youtube channel at all. What are you guys particularly proud of lately so I can get back into watching your vids.

I think Ambition came out well. (Thanks again to Pinstripe Hourglass for recording it.) It's a series of flash games designed to teach you online negotiation. This particular series focuses on a main story involving a suicide bomber, a love triangle, courtroom drama, and intrigue.

It gets absolutely loving ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjCBU0daGE

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

I like the new Alone in the Dark videos, but I skipped past all of the books after the first one. There's also the segment with the woman at the beginning, showing off her opening sequence as well as the game over cutscene, and there's also the cutscenes of the characters walking all the way through the mansion to reach the attic before the player actually starts the game, which could have been cut out.

I stole a page from Chip Cheezum and did "Reading ends after" callouts to see how it works. AitD is actually a pretty short game it turns out.

Honestly, though, these are still nowhere near the LPs done by Malorie... maybe I should advertising those in them. I never really gave a lot of thought to wrongpuraes outside of "they are fun to do" until now.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having trouble putting my finger on why, but I don't quite mind the SDA camera on the players. I think there's a couple reasons.

1. It includes an audience behind the player, so it feels less vain.
2. It's in a totally separate window from the game. So you're not just putting yourself literally on top of the footage.
3. A speedrun's meant to show a specific way how to play a game. In other words, I'm not looking for a cool Amnesia run because I want to experience Amnesia secondhand - I already have experience with it, and want to see an expert playthrough.

I guess it boils down to that I don't feel like speedrun cams get in the way.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Cheez posted:

That's not an incredibly biased way to think of things at all.

I guess I could get it for games that don't have much text, but you typically see it in text heavy games - things with dialogue box after dialogue box or large walls. In those cases, I'm basically hearing a person a) drone on with things I can read myself or b) do "wacky" voices that are terrible 99% of the time.

Can you give us an example where you think it works particularly well?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Singh Long posted:

I seem to recall NCS making a brief impromptu cameo in an Retsutalk with ProtonJon.

Him and chugga both. We got to briefly meet them at PAX.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

VivaVizer posted:

Did they ever figure out whether he kidnapped a girl or not? Because I didn't really make it through that first super creepy interaction. It was that cringe-worthy for me.

That was him putting on the voice. He solicited "talent" for later episodes, but I don't know if anyone took him up for it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I have a soft spot for people who get RP'ed but kinda roll with it. MageKnight bought a forums account after the RP and posted in Games about it. It boiled down to "yeah, I was a dumb teenager..." or whatever.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Slowbeef is also uploading a stream of an iOS game called Room Break to his Youtube channel, which -- despite its low video quality -- is also worth a look. It gets pretty ridiculous around chapter 3.

I'm actually looking at re-recording it locally - I found a way to get a good framerate. I felt a little guilty putting that up as is, but we really had a great time on the stream.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
:siren: YouTube LPs are in danger! :siren:

...(shrug) Apparently a buncha LPs are being hit with 3rd party copyright claims so people can't make that cash money anymore.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
@indmusic hit Retsupurae on our Braidple Story video (a flash game)... except they got the song completely wrong.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Honestly, it's hard to feel bad for the guy when he is such a loving rear end to everyone. If he plays a guy online and the guy has a big win/loss ratio, he'll make fun of him for spending his life playing video games.

How? How do you miss that? How are you so not self-aware??? I wonder how long he'd make fun of his reflection before realizing it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

I knew. I knew what the video was. I knew he was giving away just the drat boxes, but I could not believe it until I watched. And holy poo poo, I can't draw on a black box, so I can autograph some business cards. loving amazing.

edit: Betus on AIM: "..." "...He's loving serious?"

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Brassherald posted:

I want him to be a troll. I want this to be an elaborate act where it turns out this is all an experiment by Slowbeef or some poo poo like that. But, its gone on for too long. I want to believe that no one can be this stupid, but I just cannot bring myself to that belief.

The one thing too - which if he is a troll, he is kinda brilliant - is that there's one Witcher 2 video that's easy to miss and it's really funny. Someone pointed it out to me as "his best video."

It's one second long.

Basically, he has some sort of automated process for uploading these and the recording hosed up, so one of the Witcher parts was really only one second. This is a mistake anyone can make but it's kind of an old video and he's yet to notice or fix it, so he really, really doesn't give a poo poo.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

To be fair, I didn't hear it from him directly and I don't know if he ever DOES mention it or not, it was mentioned on his TVTropes page.

I thought he did in his "I'm Sorry" video.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, I thought the claim was that most of his income goes to charity. No, I'm not going to do in-depth research about PewDiePie's financial statements.

So, couple things:

1. His initial 10k to WWF (which is the big one his fans point to) is prize money from winning a "King of the Web" contest. He didn't up and decide to just give away 10k of his revenue. The clean water thing, though? Who knows - that could've easily have been from his revenue stream.

2. The one thing about charity is - again, I don't know if this is true in Sweden - that you get tax breaks from it. It might be financially smarter to give away the 10k and take it as a tax break on your other normal income rather than take the lump sum after taxes. I am not saying that's why he did this since no one can really know that except he and his accountant. But I will say that acts of philanthropy like this don't automatically mean they came from the goodness of one's heart.

All that said, I don't think he's a bad person, I think he's just ridiculously childish about certain things. Who could blame him? He's actually rewarded for that. And again, the thing about the "I'm sorry" video is "Look, I'm not in it for money - I gave money to charity" and then he keeps ads running on his apology video. I mean, that's kind of a ridiculous oversight to make.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

Okay so I get this now, thanks for straightening this out everyone since I was pretty confused by all this. Okay, it IS good he gets money for charity.
But that doesn't excuse the fact he's a godawful Youtuber. We're agreed on that. It's just that DSP is godawfully worse somehow and we all got every reason under the sun listed above. Seriously though, what's the deal with Markiplier?

Now DSP on the other hand, is... I don't even know. I don't mean this as an insult, but the nicest way I can put it is that Pewdiepie does ... ill-advised things. He doesn't think stuff through (see, again, running ads on the apology video) and he's a guy in his 20s. When we called out Pewdiepie on his weird rape thing, I think he was against doing anything about it at first, because it would seem like "we won" before finally conceding it.

DSP is ridiculously not self-aware, and at his age (early 30s, I think) it's almost sad. His whole persona is based on King of Hate and yelling at the games, the fans, etc. Then when people don't actually like it, he figures he needs something (like a rebranding) but instead tries a Twitter hashtag called #dspositive and nothing else. He's just really bad at what he does, and rather than examine why that is, he goes with what worked for him in the past: pumping out content at a ridiculous rate.

edit: Markiplier strikes me as a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of LPer which you see a lot of. But he has good capture equipment and some video editing knowledge. He basically apes the Pewdiepie method, with less of a strange accent.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

Slowbeef, are there any Let's Players out there that you love at all? Like any you just really like for some reason, and I'm not talking about BillyMC or so unless you wanna bring him up because well, he's Billy!

Does it count if I've had them on Retsutalk?

One thing about Northernlion is he seems like a natural. Even stuff like those videos where all he does is open Hearthstone packs? I was sort of stunned when I watched one and he seemed to have relevant commentary throughout! That seems like a video destined for cheap content: a.k.a. "There couldn't possibly be much to say about this, but it's a video game thing I did so I guess I'll post" but somehow, he actually did talk about what he was doing an interesting way the whole time!

I also gave him grief for his 600+ (really) BoI videos, but again, each time, he actually seems to have poo poo to say about his current run, run-time evaluations of how he's doing, etc. I was beyond skeptical that any could keep that up for that long, but he seems like he's actually doing it, so...

DoctorWhat posted:

Well since Raocow doesn't post here anymore, I guess he counts as offsite, and I love him to bits.

Let me tell you a story about raocow.

Once long ago, I ran a multi-round Neo Geo contest - you picked the game, people voted on which LP they liked best, etc. raocow chose Samurai Showdown 2 and did his usual shtick. He won the round.

This was when he was popular here... so he PMed me and told me that he felt like the 2nd place person was really good, and that he only won because of his popularity. With that in mind, he wanted to withdraw. And he did this privately, mind. Didn't make a big public display on the forums, didn't make a show of it, nothing. He just felt it was the right thing to do.

raocow's stuff isn't really for me (but it's definitely on the watchable spectrum), but that was really impressive. I told him to stay in the contest - I think he lost the next round, though I don't recall.

Great guy.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Roar posted:

I dunno I guess what I'm trying to say is DSP is a really awful human being and PDP is like you said, a really immature and annoying kid.

I'm not going to cast PDP in even that much of a positive light, though. He does pander to kids - I mean little kids - with his sort of weird non-sequitir crap but still goes with "suck my black dick" kinda humor when the chips are down. He's also vain as hell, and if he's cornered, he will change his story to make himself look better. "Adults React to Pewdiepie" was "pretty funny [he'll admit]" until he got poo poo for his comment about money; then it was "childish" which is that smarmy sort of "I want everyone to like me!" kind of weaseling.

Also, his Heayy Rain videos, he actually does root for the rapists. I'm serious: In Madison's intro, masked guys throw her on a bed and he says "Now we're talking!" This was after "it's rapin' time!" I mean there's ignorance, and there's holy poo poo, you really have no loving clue what you're saying.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Livingtrope posted:

Suck my black dick is something I would think was funny when i was a kid, are you sure you're not just old slowbeef?

I am old and thinking about it more, he does title his videos "TOILET FULL OF PERIOD" and such, so I might be wrong there... but I wouldn't let a first-grader watch Pewdiepie.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I guess the idea is that even if he's an rear end in a top hat, he is a potentially productive one. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to like him, but just maybe the world is a better place in part because of his existence. If he donates money to charity it does technically mean that there are fewer dying children or whatever in the world because of him. Even if he's still incredibly annoying to listen to and you can make a strong argument for him being a terrible human being.

I disagree with this, but it's probably getting too serious, so I will bring up one other funny thing: here's a good reason to watch your videos before publishing.

PDP decided to LP a browser game. He alt-tabbed over at one point and ... whoops, "Big tittied teen gives blowjob" and some other porn stuff was in his downloads.

DSP sorta did this same thing... except it was a movie thumbnail on his hard drive... of his girlfriend. I forget the details but apparently it was a sexy video she'd made of herself for him and well, it's in a Let's Play now.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Iserlohn posted:

I find that hard to believe that DSP is good at any genre, because all the fighting game footage I've seen from him is the same poo poo. He complains when he's caught in a combo and acts like there's nothing he can do (like, uh, I dunno loving block???). The only difference is he can call the other player a cheating loser retard instead of like Kojima or whatever. You'd think he'd know how to play video games if he could do fighting game inputs marginally well, but he always screws up the easiest most basic stuff. Like, he couldn't figure out R1/2 + forward LS in Dark Souls. That is not hard at all. Same deal in REVENGEANCE where he couldn't do the parry with a similar input. Although I guess he just sort of drops the control whenever he's getting hit, because he never even pretends there's anything he can do to recover. Maybe he's roleplaying as Raiden when he's stunned by not doing anything. I heard he played Bayonetta as well, and that probably went about as well. Those last two games draw heavily from fighting games, so it's bizarre that he'd struggle more with those than beginners and people who don't play video games as a living.

Bayonetta was ridiclous - the first video is like 5 minutes of him wandering around the first area, wondering where the enemies were.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

gatz posted:

Can I ask why everyone dislikes Khad? Why he got that 30 year probation or whatever? I've watched about 5 mintues of one of his videos, which was terrible, but why is he so hated around here?

This is kind of a long drama-filled story that gets into his relationship with SA in general. I talked a little about it in Retsutalk 2. I'd rather not dredge up the whole story because it does involve things outside LP and I don't want to put words in peoples' mouths or say the wrong thing.

The long/short of it is Khad was in a unique position because he's friendly with Lowtax, a front page writer, and a mod of MMO HMO... I think sometimes he thought of himself as a little untouchable and took the forums way seriously. I hit him for a day once, and I think he saw that as sort of a betrayal: We had worked together on Webcam Ward, played games together - we were sorta friendly. And it sucks to probate/ban people that you like but he took it way hard, and I guess decided to sort of fight back.

One of the Games mods gassed one of his threads - I think he blamed me for that (though I don't disagree with the decision at all, I'm just not the one who pulled the trigger) and one thing led to another, and one of the admins said, "gently caress it, done with Khad."

Basically, this is kind of a thing that had gone on for years, and came to a head with LP, more or less.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 9, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Slowbeef you mentioned in the latest retsutalk that you still haven't backstabbed anyone in Dark Souls, I'm watching your edited videos on your channel right now and I can say it's because you keep your shield up all the time. Someone probably already mentioned that though so I just wanted to say I'm really digging the videos!

Thanks, I'd definitely like to know how it's going - I'm all about "blind LPs suck without a guide" but I was trying to see if maybe you could make it work with editing. Also, I figured out the backstab, but I'm still not great at it - it seems like you really need to be in the right position for it.

Dectilon mentioned posting it in his thread, but I hosed up the aspect ratio on the first few videos and by now, it's probably in YouTube dump territory.

Michaellaneous posted:

I think the funniest incident with DSPGaming was...I think MSG 2 or 3. He was livestreaming the game, and people accused him that his viewers hold his hands the entire way.

Phil, the moron he is, raged about that on twitter and said that he does not get any help from his streamers at all and we should basically gently caress off.

Well, to bad that he often stops in the video "Oh that is how you do it", obviously reading the twitch chat and being assisted by his fans.

What's odd about that too, is that he does openly admit to getting help for Dark Souls - he gave up on it until he had people on Twitch telling him what to do. He had some video somewhere that was like "I gave it the old college try, but I wasn't feeling it" and "gently caress people who are like 'play it for real,' I don't have time for that."

I'm being WebDog with regards to DSP, but I can't help but be just fascinated by him.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Brassherald posted:

There was definitely a count on screen for when he did take advice. Like when he couldn't find the keycard that fell because you need to use the mine detector. I remember this because it revealed that he has no clue how a mine detector works, thinking it somehow detects the explosive material in a mine rather than the metal it is made of. I'm pretty sure the Key card itself had Phil making fun of Kojima for like an hour because Phil does not understand that the key card and all the game mechanics surrounding it are scientifically sound.

Also, I know someone mentioned he grinded up to Soul Level 90 in Demon's Souls, but, he supposedly off screened the thing by killing skeletons in a time period that the person who made This is how you DON'T play Demon's Souls basically calculated saying it would take a few days, not a few hours. So, he most likely abused a glitch.

I basically know nothing about Dark Souls (I just killed the Capra Demon), but don't skeletons give relatively poo poo souls for the fight? Hell, even I figured out if you wanted, you can just run up to that dragon in Undead Burg, make him kill the people on the bridge, and go to the bonfire right downstairs. You could loop that for an easy 555 souls in like, a minute each time.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 9, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

He's talking about Demon's Souls, not Dark. The skeletons he's referring to actually do give quite a number of souls, but still small enough that you would have to grind for quite a while to get to the level that DSP did.

As for Dark Souls, the graveyard skeletons to give pretty terrible souls. The Drake bridge isn't that great either, fyi.

also you mean souls, not hp

Oh duh, misread it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Maremidon posted:

Is there a good place to discuss offsite goon projects?

Here's fine by me!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Livingtrope posted:

If we discuss how bad most of them are, is that going to be a banning?

Most of what are? If it's my stuff, I'm not going to ban you for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Livingtrope posted:

No, I like your stuff, but the things like yogscast or steam shots.

Oh!

Um, I don't really care. The only thing about Steam Shots is that it's not really Let's Play - might be more appropriate for Games.

• Locked thread