Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Lazyfire posted:

Ah, that's right, because the average person has no idea baldurk and anyone else involved with Let's Plays could possibly be a different person.

I have honest to god received emails that only make sense if the person thinks I wrote every single LP on the archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you still have one of them lying around, this would be a great place to show it off.

Looking at them again I suppose maybe they have missed the concept of an archive and think all of the authors live in a house together and all read these emails. drat english lacking a plural/singular 'you':

quote:

hey i have a question about wild arms 5 that i really hope you can answer. i want to know how to get to the final pillar boss in northwest filgaia, your lets play guide dont say how to get to the boss, it only says how to defeat it.

and thanks in advance.

martin

quote:

Hi there,

I literally just finished Baten Kaitos: Origins, and I was reading your "where are they now" article, which references the pictures of each character during the credits. The people in the very first picture are Lyuvanne and Almarde, I believe... Anyways, funny article! Amazing game. I haven't really played video games in 13 years, but this one totally enthralled me.

Cheers

quote:

Subject: Questions regarding FF 3 glitch

When I read this, it says to save after you leave Narshe with Locke and Terra and not to save at all until after you have gotten to the Floating Continent and died. But then it mentions something about save states. What are these and how do you use them? Can this trick be done on the version I downloaded for my PS3?

Thanks!

quote:

Subject: About PE2 walkthrough..

Good evening! Hope you all are good. Well, I'm laughing so hard from my bed reading the PE2 commentary, already read PE1, so funny too! Thanks for doing this, guys! I want to know, about pe2, the screenshots looks so good! Did you use emulator? How did you configured the video plugin (that I imagine would have been pete's opengl2 one).. Thanks in advance! It looks so awesomely.
Keep up the cool work!

quote:

Hello,

I was looking at your broken pokemon archives from a while ago, and was wondering if you ever fixed the rest of those games, and if not what happened to them?

Thanks

Side Note: I've actually had multiple requests for those broken pokemon games.

Not particularly funny but there you go. Mostly I post the ones crazy enough to be amusing in the sandcastle, I could always repost them here.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Eulisker posted:

Please do. They can be easily missed in the sandcastle.

I get a lot of emails that are just some youtube guy wanting more publicity, or stuff like that. Interestingly of late I've had some people wanting like kickstarter publicity or something who are obviously just spamming any remotely gaming related website. I have a folder that's called "Dumb poo poo" where I keep anything from the predictable:

hello, an L.P. hosting request posted:

i would be indubitebly obliged if you would host the first part of my No More Heroes LP (I do not have a something awful forums account but I am savvy to the "scene", per say)
it is VERY IMPORTANT. is this ok?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<snip>
tell me what you think.............

to the insane:

HELP! posted:

ya can u help me with the death mark 2 boss its so hard each time I hit it it goes back to ful health ples HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I deleted quite a lot of !s here) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to the confusing:

Unsubscribe posted:

Hi
I would like to be unsubscribed from lets play please....0784183526 ASAP
Thank you

or this classic crazy-person-email:

so many questions...archive logins? interaction? etc posted:

does the archive really have to be only a passive archive?
(if so, can it at least be passive in a way that lets us make our own private libraries for enjoying our favorites?)

*((out of all of this crap, i really only want this the most)) i would like to be able to favorite the LP's that i like, as well as bookmark chapters in those specific LP's that i found to be outstanding and would like to revisit, as well as 'subscribe' or follow the author of the LP or be informed via email as to when another of their LP's have been completed and added to the archive.

also being able to 'wait' for a LP that hasn't been done yet (like not even started) but when it is submitted, being emailed about it. sort of like a request, but not. i think this would require a list of game titles from every console and selecting from it, (gamefaqs style-ish?) and selecting how you want to be informed, either via email or just membership notification. (not exactly the same as a request, but could even post the numbers (rated highest to lowest ) for the games people would most like to see LP's for. so authors instantly know there is a captive audience, ready and waiting.)

would there ever be a future where folks would be able to comment on the finished lp's here, rather than on the something awful forums? what about being able to rate the LP's labeled humorous for just how funny they are, or aren't?

will there ever be other ways of submitting completed LP's to the archive, beyond the somethingawful forums? if you are chained to them, is it by need or by desire? i feel like this website has a lot of potential and could become the LP headquarters of the English speaking internet if the right protocols were in place. (w/ editing tools, submission formats for the ss lets plays, quality control... idk.)

sorting them by complete - incomplete - most popular - highest rated for humor, for completion, for instruction. etc.

**((and this i want second most)) text, ss, video, hybrid.... humorous, completionist, voice, subtitles, group HD...
it is absolutely not enough to only be able to select one filter at a time. the main two types of LP's i enjoy are Humorous&Screenshots or Video&Subtitles. it is pointlessly annoying having to select the one category, and then spend 5 mins scanning the lists for games titles im interested in and then trying to find one with formats that i want to view. (think of the methods of organizing searches that websites for diverse and numerous media use, like imdb or danbooru or mangafox use. w/ so many methods of filtering, you can almost always find exactly what you're looking for immediately)

***(and this i want 3rd most) will games ever be listed by their categories, like horror/roleplaying game/strategy?
(and being able to 'subscribe' to certain categories, to see when new LPs of these types of games, or following your desired formats, are submitted, rather than having to pick through all of the newly submitted and hoping that when you log in next you won't have waited too long and lost something you would have liked to have viewed in the ever growing oblivion of LPs, where it waits for you to hopefully, someday, stumble onto it. (and wonder wtf how did i miss this?) )
(this would work out better than the overly specific 'wait' list for LPs that haven't been started yet, but personally i would love and use both options for a lot less hassle. -> (just b/c i want to see a LP of chocobo racing doesn't mean i want to have to look through an entire list of racing games like gran turismo 29 or w/e number they are on now. nor would i want to have to do so repeatedly in hopes that i hadnt missed its posting. and actually, what about adding a search bar? it doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to know the game titles)

welps, that's enough happy and crappy suggestions(textbrixx) from me for one day.

until next time...!
(to which you may respond: ohgodplzno )

laters :D

This is the "I invented LP" email referenced earlier in the thread.

The Awesome Incarnate posted:

Subject: Requesting Reply Regarding "First" Video Let's Player, Official Proof Herein Provided as Requested....

To whom it may concern, primarily one: Slowbeef -

My name is The Awesome Incarnate, formerly known as OwnageIncBFinch on YouTube. Before I get started, know that I have quarrels with slowbeef, nor anyone from Something Awful. I don't have a direct beef with DSPGaming, however, I have had several conversations with him and I'm definitely not supporting his claim to the Let's Play genre. Nor am I making a claim to being THE founder of Let's Plays, merely ONE of the founders. Despite my neutrality, recently there has been a back-and-forth exchange between myself and others regarding who started what and when. I humbly remained neutral until recently when it was brought to my attention that I may have been referenced in a post, linked below:

http://slowbeef.tumblr.com/post/41879526522/did-i-start-lets-play

Under Section 6 - What Doesn't Count:

"The podcast I mentioned earlier also claims authorship of LP because one guy claims to have VHS recorded a video game and shown his friends in middle school."

Rather or not this specific sentence or section refers to me remains to be seen, however, if it is a reference to me, I certainly wasn't in middle school. Regardless, the next paragraph reads:

"But anyone can say they recorded anything. If anyone has a VLP that predates mine, and they’ve got a timestamp on an Internet post, hey, you win, go nuts."

I am writing this letter to do just that. While your Screenshot Let's Play of Metal Gear Solid 2 appears to have been 404'd, I notice that your first Video Let's Play (VLP) is dated 2007. Mine are hardcoded and time stamped on YouTube in 2006, even though they were rendered and uploaded to FileFront in 2005 and posted on the Mack and Mesh forums. Today, after logging into my old YouTube account, OwnageIncBFinch, I attempted to make two of the old "Burton VS FEAR" videos public, and the public posting date automatically changed to August 3rd, 2013, despite having 6-7 year old comments in the comments section. I've produced a video to back up my claims in case you believe the attached images to have been edited in any way. It will be viewable at my primary YouTube channel linked below. I can also provide a CD that was burned after I edited and uploaded my videos to FileFront in October and November of 2005. The CD has time stamps, raw video files (unedited), and more. I also have a hard drive with Pinnacle Studio 9 project files on them.

However - I am NOT trying to make a claim that I am the first Let's Player, if anything - I would claim that I am the third behind Mack and Mesh (2004), 2nd if you count Mack and Mesh as a single user/entity/group.

Also - to clarify - I only used an old RCA VHS camcorder playing the FEAR Demo, entitled - Burton VS FEAR - in August of 2005. That video was ALL VHS Camcorder footage, without Picture in Picture, and was uploaded to GameFront/FileFront the next day after editing. In October 2005, two months later, the full game of F.E.A.R. had been released. By then I had been in touch with Mack and he had instructed me on how to edit footage for Picture-in-Picture using Pinnacle Studio. Using the software "GameCam" to capture in-game footage (as we all do today with FRAPS) and using the same VHS Camcorder to film my face/side/reactions (as we do today with webcams) using an old Pinnacle Capture Card (that I still have a Best Buy receipt to), I then used Pinnacle Studio 9 to edit and synchronized the footage, render the videos, etc. The Picture-in-Picture technique was taught to me by Mack, the friend and editor of Mesh - who released "Mesh does Doom 3" in 5 or 6 separate parts throughout the Fall of 2004.

Until then, I guess I win? And the prize is still nothing, right? We’re clear on that?

I have the exact same attitude. However - as of late - I've noticed that the entire genre has become a business. It's allowed me to rub shoulders with journalists, professional gamers, game designers, entertainers, radio hosts, and TONS of people I wouldn't had met if I hadn't returned to YouTube in 2011. However - I have found myself questioning why I made the decision to quit doing gaming videos in 2007. I find myself regretting privatizing my videos all because a manager at my real job threatened me over the vulgar content of them, despite filming them in my own home. Later the Union became involved and she was actually fired following an investigation of cyber stalking and harassment, started by accusations not just from me but others as well. Despite her joining the bread line, I was too cautious of copyright infringement at the time, and therefore stayed at my real job to pursue a promotion opportunity, rather than continue doing walkthrough videos, scare reaction compilations, etc.

Had I stayed on YouTube, who knows? Back then, my videos pulled 2,000-4,000 views a piece. The "Alone in the Dark" episode of me playing FEAR pulled 11,000. Today? That's a drop in the bucket. Back then? It was the equivalent to pulling 100,000 views today. Again, I don't do this for the money, and I still work for the same company, though I have since been promoted several times, and despite being happy - I'm far from content.... I just want to be able to look back and say I started something, or was part of something when it began... Hopefully, this letter and the attached screenshots will do just that.

Sincerely,

http://www.youtube.com/TheAwesomeIncarnate

{attached like 6 screenshots of youtube pages}

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Seshoho Cian posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Baldurk's name is seriously Baldur K.

Don't get mad just because you're jealous of my originality and creativity.

• Locked thread