Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kelly posted:

Didn't she grab her sword off one of the Terminus guys after they killed them, in the church? She picked it up and gave kind of a wiry smile - not sure if she walked away with it. It was a blink and you missed it moment.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Kelly posted:

Didn't she grab her sword off one of the Terminus guys after they killed them, in the church? She picked it up and gave kind of a wiry smile - not sure if she walked away with it. It was a blink and you missed it moment.

There was actually a scene at the very end of that episode with her sitting on the church steps staring at the unsheathed sword, before putting it away when Gabriel came out. This happened right before Daryl's "Come on out" line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am so happy we can add "Abe beats his wife" to "Shannon was stabbed" and "I acquit". This is the best thread. :allears:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's super dumb but it's less dumb than "Andrea drove the van into the prison" and "Lizzie killed Karen."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

precision posted:

I am so happy we can add "Abe beats his wife" to "Shannon was stabbed" and "I acquit". This is the best thread. :allears:

What's the "I acquit" one again?

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
but who was feeding the rats at the fence guys

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Kibayasu posted:

People were calling other people dumb for thinking Tyreese didn't kill the guy in the cabin either.

And those people were dumb for not realizing that unless a character dies on screen, they shouldn't be assumed dead. It's a trope and really could have gone either way.

Theorizing that Abe was a wife beater is inductive, sort of the opposite of the aforementioned trope. If the show decides to cast Abe as a wife beater in future episodes, they've laid the ground work. However, a couple comments from people on talking dead and (apparently) the comic books make it clear that Abe was protecting his family. They didn't show the stuff happening beforehand because this was Abe's story and he didn't actually witness the crime, he was just acting on evidence like the black eye and his family's account. The audience is only given his perspective and his reaction, which ends up making things a little blurry. Another clue that his arc is over (meaning his story is now more about him going forward, rather than showing he was actually a poo poo person) is the show's structure: they don't really do flashbacks every episode nor leave cliffhangers in them. What we saw is what we'll get. Aside from Abe in the present talking about it, possibly to clear things up for all the 'Abe was a wife beater' people, we probably won't revisit Abe's past. As STAC goat said (and maybe others), what had kept Abraham alive is now gone and it has to develop a new reason or lose him.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The real reason Abe is a bad dude is because he led the walkers into the prison.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's not like television has ever used the image of a terrified woman and children to telegraph domestic violence before. Stupid goons!

TWD takes excessive liberties with implied off-camera events. Didn't see Ty beat the guy to death? He's alive you morons! Didn't see who was driving the van? It's Andrea! Why not.

It's probably one of the show's biggest recurring shortcomings - the show itself is unreliable narration. Herschel's recounting of Carl's self defense shooting was one, Shane's ongoing semi ambiguity, the bloody baby car seat, the zombie that 100% ate Lori, etc. You really can't fault someone for thinking the Terminus cannibal clues are a misdirect - there just isn't a level of consistent storytelling where you can afford to read into / take at face value / doubt everything all the time.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

What's the "I acquit" one again?

The Office.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am actually ok with people thinking he beat his wife. There was no proof, but an inference from the evidence was reasonable.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

lifts cats over head posted:

Nah, an iron all the way, it's heavier while most modern wood clubs are actually pretty light.

A moot point as all weapons will soon be replaced by supersoakers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just wonder what you guys think the reason Abe beat four dudes to death with a soup can was.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I can't tell who's serious anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would have owned, if after Abe's Campbells Can Beat Down, he stood over the woman and the kids and said "Claimed".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh my holy poo poo, thread.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

euphronius posted:

It would have owned, if after Abe's Campbells Can Beat Down, he stood over the woman and the kids and said "Claimed".

That happened off-screen, obviously. Are you even watching????

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

RBA Starblade posted:

I just wonder what you guys think the reason Abe beat four dudes to death with a soup can was.

They were probably scavenging and he just went off out of nowhere. She and the kids were obviously terrified of him, and judging by the way he tries to control Eugene (and how the group interacts with him), he seems like a control freak that wants everything to happen exactly how he wants, refusing to acknowledge that the people around him are people with their own independent thought. Abe rationalizes and thinks for other people, and the moment those other people stray from what Abe thinks they should do he loses his poo poo.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Look guys it's pretty obvious that Abe was killing the people who harmed his wife and kids but he did it in such a brutal fashion the wife got spooked and left while he was asleep.

Now why Abe hunted his wife and kids down to kill them and devour their flesh before he committed suicide is anyone's guess, I think we might just have to chalk that up to the writers having serious problems in their brains.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
He had been to Terminus before, obviously. Are you even watching???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Look guys it's pretty obvious that Abe was killing the people who harmed his wife and kids but he did it in such a brutal fashion the wife got spooked and left while he was asleep.

Now why Abe hunted his wife and kids down to kill them and devour their flesh before he committed suicide is anyone's guess, I think we might just have to chalk that up to the writers having serious problems in their brains.

The writing was just so lazy and ham-handed.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Milovan Drecun posted:

He had been to Terminus before, obviously. Are you even watching???

euphronius posted:

The writing was just so lazy and ham-handed.

It's just really hosed up and problematic is all I'm saying. There's no logical reason for these writers to even go there.

Look, I just don't want some kid to watch this show and think "Hey spouse abuse and spouse murder and spouse cannibalism are cool and good things to do because the hero soldier on the zombie show did it."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was pretty clear from the context that those dudes wanted to turn around and go back but Abe wasn't ready to let them lose.

So he beat then to death with soup.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I get what you're doing, but "hunt[ing] his wife and kids down" didn't appear any more complicated than opening the front door.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think we might just have to chalk that up to the writers having serious problems in their brains.
Everyone is infected.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I think maybe he was just trying to get the can open.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Antifreeze Head posted:

I get what you're doing, but "hunt[ing] his wife and kids down" didn't appear any more complicated than opening the front door.

Abe opening the door to the grocery store or even having the knowledge to open doors in general has not been supported by what we have been shown on-screen, I think the only reasonable assumption is that Abe teleported.

I mean ok he did open that one door so that he could kill all those anti-war protestors earlier in the episode but he had to use a firetruck to do it, I can't see him working it out otherwise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I mean ok he did open that one door so that he could kill all those anti-war protestors earlier in the episode but he had to use a firetruck to do it, I can't see him working it out otherwise.

Excuse me but Morgan clearly opened that door. Him rolling the tire out was the signal he and Rick discussed back at the beginning of season 2, remember?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The thread title is so apt right now

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Isn't it about time for Rick to try the walkie talkie again?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of Morgan, I'm surprised they revealed [spolier] that he's the man in the Twelve Monkeys bio-suit[/spoiler] this early in the show, since it was such a big mystery in the comics and they haven't explained why it's important yet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

moths posted:

Speaking of Morgan, I'm surprised they revealed [spolier] that he's the man in the Twelve Monkeys bio-suit[/spoiler] this early in the show, since it was such a big mystery in the comics and they haven't explained why it's important yet.

they seem to shuffle and jumble things around a bit on the show. Overall themes are the same but order of reveal, aspects of character shifting from one person to another like michonne comparing her savageness in her dragging her son's father and friend around by a chain to rick's throat ripping after the claimers scene as opposed to Abraham, or Bob losing leg to termites as opposed to Dale, carol handling the girls vs carl and the twins, etc

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Abe was clearly mad at the people for giving him aids and so he best them to death with a tin can. Wife said "gently caress this I don't want aids" and left in his sleep. The note said "don't try to find us" but it's subtext was "because I don't want aids" so they decided to get eaten instead. The real question though is what was up with that helicopter are we ever going to find out???

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

I thought it was that Abe wanted to keep going in the grocery store but the other dudes just wanted to chill out and shop so he beat them to death because stopping is death

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kelly posted:

At this point everyone's loving with the people here bitching about the show but didn't actually watch it well enough to learn the details that they're bitching about.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

SocketWrench posted:

At this point everyone's loving with the people here bitching about the show but didn't actually watch it well enough to learn the details that they're bitching about.

What detail of Abe at the CDC did we miss smartass?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

xxEightxx posted:

What detail of Abe at the CDC did we miss smartass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since the OP is horribly out of date and this thread has Aatrek posts in it, I'm going to make a new thread and ask someone to close this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Be sure to include a frequently asked questions section and cute pictures.

• Locked thread