Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished the season.

Was there any explanation given for the radio signal Daryl's group picked up while driving to the college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Midnight City posted:

It's not that far because last season Daryl and Merle walked back and forth from the prison to the area with the pits.

Those aren't the same pits. Martinez's group dug up new ones. (This is kinda obvious since the old pits had a whole bunch of burnt zombies in them, and there was a wind-powered tower of some sort nearby that attracted zombies to the pits.)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I never got the impression that the Governor wanted to take the prison for the camp group. I'm not even sure the Governor cares enough about these people to do that, except to the extent of how they can help take down Rick. The only people he actually cares for are the girl, her sister, and the daughter. I believe that as far as the Gov is concerned, the rest are just redshirts.

You are wrong. The Governor is very obviously worried about the safety of his new family, and voices his concern to the "wife" several times. The last time he does that, she responds saying "this camp is fine" and shortly after the daughter gets attacked by a walker in the middle of the camp. This only helps reinforce the Governor's belief that they need a safer place, which is why he drives towards the prison at the end of the episode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think my favorite scene was Carol 2.0 shooting the army chick in the head.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Surlaw posted:

I enjoyed season 2 more than 3 by a pretty wide margin, even if 2 had a couple horrible low points and 3 had a couple great highs. The Rick/Shane conflict throughout 2 worked better for me than anything in season 3's main plot stuff. Not Enough Things Happened isn't really an issue for me, I like these characters even if they're boneheads.

The Rick/Shane conflict was unbelievably awful in terms of how contrived it was. It basically existed solely to create drama out of thin air and had literally zero purpose in terms of plot or even character development. For me it took Shane from "likable" to "god drat idiot."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VDay posted:

And meanwhile you had Lori going between the two of them being awful, inconsistent, and generally annoying to watch.

For sure. I laughed and applauded when she died.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Honestly, Lori and Andrea were two of the most insultingly written female characters I've ever seen on television. Somewhere between a pregnant Lori flipping her car on an empty road and Andrea insisting on shooting Daryl in the head to prove how tough she was, it got to the point where I actually started to wonder if the writers were trying to do a satire on the Incompetent Woman trope.

Don't forget Lori also kept fanning the flames between Rick and Shane.

I mean, drat. You're a married woman and you have a kid. Your husband comes back from the dead and your family is together again. And yet, instead of being grateful and doing everything you can to re-establish family stability, you remain on talking terms with the guy you used to gently caress while your husband was presumed dead? Jesus.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I liked Hershel, but it didn't really hit me. I don't know, I felt more for the little girl who dug up a zombie.

Why? She had literally no character development and was dumb as a brick.

"MOOOMMY CAN YOU HELP ME DIG A HOLE?"

It was as if she hadn't gotten attacked by a zombie just one episode ago.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They can easily keep the show fresh by introducing new types of zombies. Maybe the virus mutates inside some hosts and instead of stumbling around slowly, they gain the ability to run, climb, etc. The possibilities are endless. The only thing they need to do is avoid making it too similar to the World War Z movie...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

I hope they don't do that.

The threat model needs to change to keep things interesting.

Or are you just loving the repetitiveness of the "our survivors find a new safe place, but it just isn't what it seems!" plots?

I mean, at this point everyone in the show is a loving pro at killing the slow-moving zombies. Even Carl delivers headshot after headshot. It has become a chore, to the point where you can almost hear the group members sigh in boredom when they encounter a walker. One wonders when Judith will become an efficient killer like everyone else.

The only thing that keeps getting people in trouble is their loving idiocy. Whoops, I tripped over some glass bottle and it made some noise and now the walkers are alerted to our presence! :rolleyes:

My suggestion would also serve as an excellent plot twist. Eugene reaches Washington, explains the cure to the people there, they manufacture it and release it, but it's too late, because the virus has evolved... to be continued.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The show Archer is proof that drastic changes to a show's formula can be successful. I'm hoping The Walking Dead does that by changing the zombies into something more dangerous.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

I'm pretty sure they remain dangerous? Like there was the silly stuff in season 3 with Andrea and everyone else manhandling zombies left and right but even there they've remained a danger throughout.

Do you even actually watch the show? I don't think it's perfect but some of the accusations about the show are just loving weird.

Yes, I watch the show.

The zombies are dangerous, but they are not a significant threat to the group, at least not anymore. The survivors pretty much figured out the formula. Heck, they also know how to make themselves invisible to the zombies. You have to wonder why they don't use that trick to make supply runs (or walking all the way to DC, really) a cakewalk.

But no... every dangerous situation is basically manufactured by intra-group and inter-group drama. The show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies but at the end of the day it ends up being about humans vs. humans, with zombies taking the backseat as more of an environmental nuisance that occasionally needs to be stabbed in the head.

a cop posted:

The zombies are a threat when the plot demands it. Its always been that way. Beth got like 5 headshots in the dark.

Yep, exactly. They used to be the main antagonist. Now they're just a plot element.

SocketWrench posted:

I don't see how brain functions is a big deal, and the outbreak's only some 18 months old at this point. All the virus does aside from enabling the basic brain motor functions is slow the decomposing process. rear end we've seen there's some that are fairly recent decay and others that are quite advanced usually found in some sleeping or immobile state. As far as zombie things go, that all seems plausible. Having some rotting corpse sprinting like a track star seems a bit too far fetched

You're reading too much into it. It's a fantasy show. They can easily write the plot such that the evolved virus takes affect only on new hosts. Someone gets bitten, and instead of going through the slowly-die-and-then-rise-up-after sequence, they "turn" almost right away with all of their motor functions fully intact. Boom! And things are suddenly interesting and exciting again. The survivors have to change pretty much their entire modus operandi, from the way they right zombies (no more easy head-shots) to the way they treat newly bitten victims (who now have to be executed on the spot). They have to be on the edge again when they travel because at any point an evolved zombie can come charging at them from around the corner...

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

Slowly walk to DC. Great idea. Great show.

Oh wait, and then the zombies evolve to not be fooled by zombie guts anymore, oh poo poo!

I was speaking figuratively. The point is that they have what equates to a cheat code in their hands and they rarely remember to use it. This makes about as much sense as Beth delivering five head-shots in total darkness.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Parity warning posted:

So close, yet so far.

Please don't raise your voice, the walkers may hear you. :cry:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

This is a good parody post.

You may not feel that the show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies, and that's OK. However, the show is called "The Walking Dead" and not "Survivors." Just like the show Dexter was about a protagonist named Dexter, The Walking Dead should be about zombies primarily (as the main protagonist).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Somebody should let that Kirkman guy know.

Yep, I know that. But the fact that the comics have lovely writing doesn't mean the show should follow their logic. The show's plot is already very different anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I will never understand the allure of 'fast zombies' in cinema. You more or less completely nullify the point behind mindless ambulatory corpses when you make them move with life-like speed and fluidity. You also kill any emotional response beyond the shallow adrenaline rush by having them, and just..well its a poo poo idea and you're a child upset because there are not enough ninjas and explosions in this show.

The point is that fast zombies are just an example. Do you not agree that mindless ambulatory responses become boring after a while? They are the ones that give a shallow adrenaline rush, because audiences have memorized the formula by now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

precision posted:

If only there were some kind of creature which could, for example, run and use doors and climb walls and had the capacity for logical/critical thought and could swing a weapon at you...

I mean, surely that isn't too fantastical, right? If only...

Right? I mean, if our goal is to watch a bunch of humans slaughter each other, why are we watching The Walking Dead? We should just...

Oh wait.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eugene may be a total goon, but I hate Abraham way more. He's basically a dumb military grunt, makes bad decision after bad decision and has no business leading.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: Also, remember, Eugene basically "stole" his suicide moment and replaced it with the mission to DC. In Abe's mind the only reason he's alive is to get Eugene to washington. He was already going to kill himself, the emotional and physical state of his body be damned, last time he stayed in a place he lost everything he cared about, push forward at all costs.

He does have a hot Spanish girlfriend now though.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 10, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Doh, sorry. I meant Hispanic. (Apparently she has Maxican, Italian and Irish ancestry.)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

precision posted:

I think it's not out of the question that she said she didn't like dudes solely because Eugene was hitting on her for the past 2000 miles. She could be bisexual, except that bisexual people in media are pretty much always evil.

Also drat, Abe has got like 3xPTSD right now. Nobody leave him alone with a gun anymore.

my guess: he will come close to killing himself again, except this time his girlfriend will reveal that she's pregnant

and then keeping her safe will be his new "mission"

(i hope this doesn't happen and he just kills himself)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

at least that's how I think of it, who knows though, thinking too much about the science of zombie things turns it from horror to sci fi (also as I mentioned earlier in this thread) which isn't the strongest way to build a story, imo. This is why there will never be a cure, or why they'll never explain where it came from, etc.

holy zombie sperg :goonsay: I'm a fuckin nerd

Horror? There is nothing scary about the current zombies. They're slow, loud and extremely easy to dispose of and they become a threat only when in very large groups or when they catch someone unawares (like Hershel and Bob).

The sci-fi aspect is a lot more compelling. The CDC episodes from Season 1 were some of the best, imo, especially when the guy showed the brain MRI video of his bitten wife while she was alive and after she turned. Note that just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean there has to be a perfect explanation for everything. There are lots of things science still can't explain, especially when it comes to human biology. Heck, nature itself is full of micro-organisms that infect animal brains and change their behaviors or cause them to go totally insane. If the writers are actually talented and they do their research they can come up with something compelling along those lines. And yeah, there may be ubernerds who feel the need to dissect and disprove sci-fi plot elements, but that doesn't mean much because I think audiences as a whole would be very willing to suspend their disbelief and embrace science-y zombie stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Currently there isn't any other explanation for why the woman has a black eye and she clearly tries to shield her kids from him, and then leaves a "don't follow us" message when she runs away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I figured it was because the dudes he killed attacked them and he hulked out, then his family learned that the true monster was man and ran out and apparently managed to die in like five minutes.

Good riddance... who would want a family that will die in five minutes anyway? To survive in this new, dangerous world, you need STRONG partners and offspring.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Abe is the kind of guy who comes off as stupid, but hes not stupid he just has a different kind of situational intelligence.

Gold

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Abe's not stupid, he's traumatized. That was the entire point of the flashbacks. They weren't telling us that he's a wifebeater or whatever nonsense tea leaf reading of the scenes people come up with.

So then who was the woman, how did she get a black eye and why was she and the kids cowering when he found them?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

The woman was a cashier. She got a black eye because it was Black Friday and she probably got run over by some aggressive shoppers. The kids were cowering because they were being sold for slavery (the grocery store also sold children) and they just watched a bunch of random shoppers who were just looking for last minute stuff before Thanksgiving get beaten to death. Also, Abe is secretly a ghost which is why nobody talked to him in the scene.

I mean, that's what I got out of the scene anyways.

Nice edit. ;)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

*except during a literal apocalypse

As you know, women are not logical creatures.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

I watched the episode late but I'm laughing at how many people in the previous pages and while live watching thought Abe is a wifebeater.

You know, to hate-watch you still have to watch.

I originally thought it was a hostage situation and Abe was rescuing them, but then I realized that neither the wife nor the kids had their hands and feet bound like captives (which they would if the guys Abe beat to a pulp were the captors). They were just huddled behind a counter when Abe found them. That's what made me ditch the hostage hypothesis and go with the next most likely explanation for why the woman had a black eye. But it's also possible the scene was designed poorly.

Anyway, I don't think it matters that much, as I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

• Locked thread