Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bluedust posted:

I just really hate hipsters, you don't get it man.

I'll just assume you're trolling from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Spaceking posted:

Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation got the Broom Closet ending. The Broom Closet ending was his favourite.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10695-Beyond-Two-Souls-vs-The-Stanley-Parable

Nice to see him turning his back on console barbarism, though it hurts his cred considerably that he just bought an Alienware PC.

Also I don't see how people can say there's little depth or gameplay, hell, there's at least four hours of pushing buttons if you want to get all the endings. :haw:

In all seriousness though I think the narrative and environmental depth more than compensates from the lack of traditional gameplay mechanics.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The baby game is second only to cookie clicker in terms of innovation in the area of meaningful skinner box gameplay design.

:smuggo:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ViggyNash posted:

I'll just assume you're trolling from now on.

When threads get sidelined on really stupid derails and idiocy by like one poster, click on their rap sheet. 9/10 its somebody with a list of either trolling or stupidity, or both, and you can pretty safely ignore anything they post.

Also the term hipster is so loving subjective/opaque it barely means anything.

This is amazing and I love it. Shame it'll probably forever be usable at very specific cons, if that.

Although I would love to see somebody do an employee 432 somehow...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Logan 5 posted:

Although I would love to see somebody do an employee 432 somehow...

Just walk around looking very confused and holding a pencil sharpener.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bluedust posted:

Seems like I struck a nerve as you won't let it go even after I didn't reply, sorry if randomly insulting hipsters bothers you so much. Enjoy your game.

Do you have anything constructive to contribute with or are you just hating a game you never even played, because it sounds like it was made for hipsters and people who like art games?

Because I generally do not enjoy art games, and I had a terrific time with the Stanley Parable and it is mainly because it extends beyond trying to be artsy; it just tries to give you a laugh. That's a genre gaming doesn't really have a lot of, comedy games. It also has a lot of feelings of a reality show, at least the early onset of reality shows before they became just about people having sex on camera.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I had some fun with this game. The narrator was made a dick on purpose and it's funny to see people take him personally as if he really was talking directly to them as real life people sitting in front of the screen. The game isn't berating you, it's not trying to prove how dumb you are while giving you no choice - the narrator being full of himself is an element of the story on the same level as map design. Even later in one of the endings the second female narrator outright explains how both the narrator and the player are equally trapped in this situation.

Anyway it's a cool exploration game with funny writing that makes fun of gaming (not you as a gamer). Good to see games like this on the market.

Jon Talbain
Dec 13, 2012

miserable pup
Does anyone know the current requirements to getting the "Unachievable" achievement?

I know it is a bit silly, but I know the developers are always shifting the requirements, but I think I am at my wits end because I just played for a few hours through the game and toggling many options, and still could not get anything to unlock. I know achievements are worthless in games to most people, but it still really bothers me all the same! I really hope I do not have to outlast the developers in hopes that they finally give up on changing the requirements to unlock it. :(

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I can see how one could make the argument that by the game calling itself out on its own patterns and limitations, it is only collapsing into its own pitfall. I guess it depends on how well the humor works for you. But if you can seriously play through the entirety of the ADVENTURE LINE sequence and not even crack a smile then I'm sorry but you are broken and hate fun and I can feel only pity for you :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jon Talbain posted:

Does anyone know the current requirements to getting the "Unachievable" achievement?

I know it is a bit silly, but I know the developers are always shifting the requirements, but I think I am at my wits end because I just played for a few hours through the game and toggling many options, and still could not get anything to unlock. I know achievements are worthless in games to most people, but it still really bothers me all the same! I really hope I do not have to outlast the developers in hopes that they finally give up on changing the requirements to unlock it. :(

From what I've seen here, it is unlocked randomly when playing and clicking on stuff.

It might be one of those that unlocks if certain requirements outside of the game are met.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure the trigger on that achievement has been switched multiple times. If you hear a short upbeat chord that doesn't exactly fit in with the standard first area music, wait a good 40 seconds or so, and the achievement might blow naturally.

Otherwise follow the guide in the guides section on steam to create a script file and get it reliably.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I can see how one could make the argument that by the game calling itself out on its own patterns and limitations, it is only collapsing into its own pitfall. I guess it depends on how well the humor works for you. But if you can seriously play through the entirety of the ADVENTURE LINE sequence and not even crack a smile then I'm sorry but you are broken and hate fun and I can feel only pity for you :colbert:

It's has some fun scenes, in particular that one.

Maybe if the calling out of tropes had been made more obvious it would have been better. At least that way you'd feel that you're laughing with the game at silly tropes, instead of the game laughing at you for enjyoing these tropes until you figure out that the creators are just having a laugh. I just don't know if having some people laugh at me is worth $15, I can get that for half the price here, or for free in real life.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What exactly about any of the game makes you feel like it's laughing at you?

Jon Talbain
Dec 13, 2012

miserable pup

Sardonik posted:

I'm pretty sure the trigger on that achievement has been switched multiple times. If you hear a short upbeat chord that doesn't exactly fit in with the standard first area music, wait a good 40 seconds or so, and the achievement might blow naturally.

Otherwise follow the guide in the guides section on steam to create a script file and get it reliably.

Ah, I actually tried the binding switch guide/script several times the other day and it did not work at all for me.

I just tried it again because of your post and suddenly it worked, so I am thinking it might also be settings related or maybe you have to had clear multiple endings before it unlocking? I edited the exact same file with the exact same line and I guess it just decided to work this time around.

Thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mulefisk posted:

I just don't know if having some people laugh at me is worth $15, I can get that for half the price here, or for free in real life.
I don't think of it as having the game laugh at you, rather the game is alternately playing to and then confounding your expectations, and in so doing making you consciously aware of them and challenging you to re-evaluate them.

I can't remember which reviewer it was who talked about the 'language of video games', and how people who are used to playing games will instinctively know that you can't open doors that are just flat textures, won't find it strange that you 'hold' objects by having them float in front of you, or that you can't see your own body, and so on. People new to video games will rightly find these restrictions bizarre and arbitrary, and I think TSP does a good job of resetting a lot of those expectations so that even people used to how videogames work won't be quite sure what to expect. I thought the explosion ending was a great example of this - I truly laughed out loud when the Narrator taunted me for automatically expecting there to be a solution to the puzzle, and in fact that expectation was so strong that I still tried a couple more times to find a solution (as did many others).

TSP is a great commentary on the prevalence of numerous stale tropes within videogames, but it isn't in itself a reinvention of gaming. I think that's just fine, but others clearly disagree.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mulefisk posted:

Maybe if the calling out of tropes had been made more obvious it would have been better. At least that way you'd feel that you're laughing with the game at silly tropes, instead of the game laughing at you for enjyoing these tropes until you figure out that the creators are just having a laugh. I just don't know if having some people laugh at me is worth $15, I can get that for half the price here, or for free in real life.
Nobody's laughing at you in the game. Nobody. It's part of the narration on the same level as gameplay design. There is even a moment in the game where it's directly explained how the narrator is trapped there in the same way that you are and how it boils down to the conflict of control between the player and the game.

The narrator being full of himself is just another trope the game makes fun of (while staying hilarious) and it's not there to laugh at you for enjoying games. I can't help but think that people who feel personally insulted by the narrator in this game are projecting.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
This game is mean to me and I hate it. :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know, I thought the "gone home" ending was pretty mean, even if technically the Narrator's sadism there is directed at Stanley and not the player. But the message of that ending is pretty depressing, particularly for anybody who's held a 9-to-5 office job or is familiar with that lifestyle, or who's spent way too much time on a computer in their cramped apartment or bedroom (everyone here, probably).

The other ones weren't really all that mean-spirited.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jon Talbain posted:

Ah, I actually tried the binding switch guide/script several times the other day and it did not work at all for me.

I just tried it again because of your post and suddenly it worked, so I am thinking it might also be settings related or maybe you have to had clear multiple endings before it unlocking? I edited the exact same file with the exact same line and I guess it just decided to work this time around.

Thanks!

I recall someone mentioning it involved some very weird mathematical stuff involving floats. Ostensibly random, really.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recall someone mentioning it involved some very weird mathematical stuff involving floats.

Last I heard it was something along the lines of: Has gotten the apartment ending, has received the order of boxes, and is currently in the cycle during or immediately after the box order is delivered, and a random number that loads each time the map is loaded equals some set number.

Lord knows if it's still true or not, though, that was one convoluted achievement, though that's the point I suppose.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 30, 2013

UncleScapegrace
Mar 29, 2013
The confusion ending is my favourite. The adventure line is such a mysterious entity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Boxturret posted:

This game is mean to me and I hate it. :(

That's unironically how I felt about Dark Souls. This game? Not exactly sensing the same cruelty from it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

UncleScapegrace posted:

The confusion ending is my favourite. The adventure line is such a mysterious entity.

The music during that segment really sealed the whole thing for me. It's just so unexpected within the context of the rest of the game, and so incongruous with every other musical track while still just sort of... fitting the tone of this particular scenario.

If anyone hasn't done the Confusion ending, you really should. Probably the best one. Well. Tied with the game development ending.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's unironically how I felt about Dark Souls. This game? Not exactly sensing the same cruelty from it.

That's because Dark Souls is unapologetically brutal.

In the case of the Narrator, I think it depends on which route you're currently on because his personality changes wildly between them. The "do everything wrong" route has the Narrator trying to be a genuine dick in his own way, and even in random parts throughout any other route he sometimes has a choice mockery or two. In other routes, he's quite different, and sometimes just indifferent.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ViggyNash posted:

In the case of the Narrator, I think it depends on which route you're currently on because his personality changes wildly between them. The "do everything wrong" route has the Narrator trying to be a genuine dick in his own way, and even in random parts throughout any other route he sometimes has a choice mockery or two. In other routes, he's quite different, and sometimes just indifferent.

This is what I liked the most about the Narrator. When you go out of your way to disobey, he throws a full on prima-donna director fit. Basically, "Why can't you understand my vision, you utter PHILISTINE!" When you comply, he's pleasant and happily lectures the player on the finer points of his story.

In between these two extremes we've got reactions where he's sort of vulnerable, frustrated, or lost. He just wants to tell his story to the player. Why can't it just work out like he planned?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

This is what I liked the most about the Narrator. When you go out of your way to disobey, he throws a full on prima-donna director fit. Basically, "Why can't you understand my vision, you utter PHILISTINE!" When you comply, he's pleasant and happily lectures the player on the finer points of his story.

In between these two extremes we've got reactions where he's sort of vulnerable, frustrated, or lost. He just wants to tell his story to the player. Why can't it just work out like he planned?

Ironically, the story he tries to tell is incredibly boring, involves too much waiting and not enough pushing of buttons. :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The music during that segment really sealed the whole thing for me. It's just so unexpected within the context of the rest of the game, and so incongruous with every other musical track while still just sort of... fitting the tone of this particular scenario.

If anyone hasn't done the Confusion ending, you really should. Probably the best one. Well. Tied with the game development ending.
The Confusion ending is great, partly because it has many of the game's best belly laughs, partly because it's nice to see the Narrator and Stanley be on the same side for once (well, technically they are on the Freedom ending, but that's less co-operation and more the Narrator not actually existing as a character in the Freedom Ending). The Narrator's not angry at you, you're not angry at the Narrator, and you're instead united in bewilderment at the game itself.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

not enough pushing of buttons. :v:
I see somebody hasn't gotten to heaven yet :pcgaming:

mtomato
Oct 22, 2012
To me the confusion route kinda seems like an analogy to getting lost or stuck in a game and seeking aid from a walkthrough.
Online walkthroughs often want to guide the player through all of the content in the game, so the path might be much more convoluted than what's needed to complete the game, just because "You don't want to miss anything".

mtomato fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 31, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I see somebody hasn't gotten to heaven yet :pcgaming:

I mean the main route where you obey the Narrator completely.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dark Souls isn't mean to you, it just sets the bar high and expects you to meet it.

I don't see how you could think The Stanley Parable could be mean to you either, they explicitly say in the developer ending that it wasn't their intention to make fun of the player.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The broom closet Confusion ending is my favorite. Still have to check if its true that doing it twice results in something different once you get to the very important fern.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Frungy! posted:

The broom closet Confusion ending is my favorite. Still have to check if its true that doing it twice results in something different once you get to the very important fern.

Nope. Now I am mad at you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Frungy! posted:

You are an evil person for doing this to people reading this thread. If I hadn't already done the confusion ending twice for the music, I'd have fallen for it. :colbert:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Anyone ever find out what the deal with Employee 432 was? His number seems to pop up more than most in odd places, like on the boards in the meeting room and the Peer Reviews in the impossible hallway down the Adventure Line path. Probably a red herring but it just seems odd.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Spaceking posted:

Anyone ever find out what the deal with Employee 432 was? His number seems to pop up more than most in odd places, like on the boards in the meeting room and the Peer Reviews in the impossible hallway down the Adventure Line path. Probably a red herring but it just seems odd.

He's the only employee unqualified to use a computer apparently. Nothing else has been uncovered.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

He's the only employee unqualified to use a computer apparently. Nothing else has been uncovered.

In the monitor room, there are papers on the desks that say, among other things, that 432 is a control case- he isn't mind controlled. He also has different regulations in case he goes off-track, as compared to other employees.

I can't find the images right now since I have to go to bed, but I'm sure someone will dig them up in no time.

e: http://imgur.com/a/2On3b
e2: ffff those are from the demo, but 432 shows up once.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 4, 2013

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

I thought that map looked familiar, that's a reference to excellent indie street vending game Cart Life.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure those papers mentioning Rupert Murdoch are transcripts from the Commons Select Committee's questioning of him, James Murdoch, Rebekah Brooks and so on - I caught the name Tom Watson (an MP heavily involved in the investigation) in there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There ar scaatted papers from all sorts of games. I've seen documents from Papers, Please and Gone Home as well.

I'm sure there's no deep mystery to uncover for 432, he's just a running joke.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 4, 2013

• Locked thread