Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Marvel Puzzle Quest is currently free for iOS and Android. Also now on PC via Steam!

What the hell is this?
It's terrible hahaharghghh

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Second post reserved in the unlikely event a match three game needs a gigantic OP.

foodie
Oct 8, 2013
Has anyone had luck playing with Black Widow (Grey Suit, 3 star)? Sniper Rifle seems powerful but high ap cost, while deceptive tactics seems like a worse version of magneto's thing with green tiles instead of blue. Pistol is nice for clearing annoying special tiles but it doesn't give you AP, plus high AP cost again.

Overall she just seems like a worse magneto with a strong and expensive green attack :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pro-tip: The computer doesn't know how to match on anything but a straight line, so T-shapes are pretty good pay offs because the AI can only accidentally get a free move out of them.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I really like the special abilities heroes and enemies have as they make the match 3 more interesting but it's frustrating how blatant the pay-to-win can feel when you're doing PvP.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

F2P aspect is a bit frustrating but if you are willing to grind a bit to get the iso-8 bonuses on matches / good covers like classic storm you don't need to pay anything.

That said tossing in 10 bones certainly does make everything a lot speedier at the start.

*edit*

As for early game, yeah dump all you can into Iron man, farm for Classic Storm covers in the Venom chapter, and after that your third character is basically users choice.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 11, 2013

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Also, leveling your character up resets their healing cooldown so it's a cheap way at early levels to get someone like Ironman back out onto the field.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Just going to chime in on the Iron Man thing. Level him up as much as possible, Repulsor Blast is ridiculously good for the AP cost.

Also I lucked out and got Thor and he does 260+ damage for 15 yellows. :swoon: He's kicking rear end in this Avengers event. His other abilities look pretty good, haven't unlocked them yet.

Just remember, if in doubt, level up Iron Man.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I got a 4* character (it was Wolverine) from my 150 coin pack, I've been super lucky, right? I like the game but it does seem set-up to nickel and dime you quite a bit.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Are the rewards from redoing a mission random or are there some hidden criteria I'm missing along the way? I still have missions in the Prologue where I'd like to mindlessly gather the 100 Iso8 rewards in my downtime at work, but I keep ending up with the 20 poo poo rewards.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got a message that said everybody gets a free thor cover on the 13th. I totally need it since all the covers I got using the iap were really bad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

New Leaf posted:

Are the rewards from redoing a mission random or are there some hidden criteria I'm missing along the way? I still have missions in the Prologue where I'd like to mindlessly gather the 100 Iso8 rewards in my downtime at work, but I keep ending up with the 20 poo poo rewards.
There's a set number of rewards per missions, usually 4. You have a 1/4 chance of getting each reward. If you "roll" a reward you've already gotten, you just get the base 20 reward. If you want to farm the stuff play the "versus" mode.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's a set number of rewards per missions, usually 4. You have a 1/4 chance of getting each reward. If you "roll" a reward you've already gotten, you just get the base 20 reward. If you want to farm the stuff play the "versus" mode.

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but I've redone the same Venom fight 4 times now ("A Tasty Treat") and am still sitting on 1/4 rewards. I think I got one of the Storm covers, then (4) 20 Iso8's in a row. Didn't know if I was missing some piece of the equation like completion time or number of heroes alive or something.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got a legendary XForce Wolverine from the 150 coin machine!

Of course the thing about trying to play with these rare heroes is you'll probably be one-slotted with skills forever and it'll take all your crystals to level it otherwise.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or do blue gems show up less often than the other colors?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

Is it just me, or do blue gems show up less often than the other colors?

I get that with red, but it's probably pretty subjective. Whatever you need you can never find.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

New Leaf posted:

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but I've redone the same Venom fight 4 times now ("A Tasty Treat") and am still sitting on 1/4 rewards. I think I got one of the Storm covers, then (4) 20 Iso8's in a row. Didn't know if I was missing some piece of the equation like completion time or number of heroes alive or something.

You can view the rewards in the lower-right of the screen that shows you the enemies - they cycle, and the one(s) you have are checked off. Saved me from wasting time on Modern Storm or Juggernaut.

I keep forgetting you can level abilities with ISO-8. That's very useful for the random draw characters. Also just got the blue skill for Iron Man off the event - now he's a monster.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

You can view the rewards in the lower-right of the screen that shows you the enemies - they cycle, and the one(s) you have are checked off. Saved me from wasting time on Modern Storm or Juggernaut.

I keep forgetting you can level abilities with ISO-8. That's very useful for the random draw characters. Also just got the blue skill for Iron Man off the event - now he's a monster.

Yeah I realize that, thanks though. I've now done this one fight 6 times and have gotten the 20 Iso "reward" 5 times in a row. It's still sitting at 1/4 Rewards. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't wreck Storm every time with his 250-damage move. I have to wait for her to come back now (I'm out of little + free heals for a while).

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I realize that, thanks though. I've now done this one fight 6 times and have gotten the 20 Iso "reward" 5 times in a row. It's still sitting at 1/4 Rewards. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't wreck Storm every time with his 250-damage move. I have to wait for her to come back now (I'm out of little + free heals for a while).
If you have enough Iso you can level the character up for a free heal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they're weighted somehow, I don't know that it explicitly says there's an equal chance for every reward. Those hero points always seem to take the most attempts for me.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

epitasis posted:

I got a legendary XForce Wolverine from the 150 coin machine!

Of course the thing about trying to play with these rare heroes is you'll probably be one-slotted with skills forever and it'll take all your crystals to level it otherwise.

It's worse than that, go look at what it takes to level his skills.

Nobody worry about getting a 4 star cover, if you're "lucky" enough to get one eventually it's just going to be taking up space because there's no way you're leveling that thing unless you drop serious cash. My 4 star wolverine is good but he needs 200 iap coin things for one skill level, or I could drop 150 for a miniscule chance at getting another of his covers.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I'm not going to feel bad at all when a hack gets released for this.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Trainmonk posted:

It's worse than that, go look at what it takes to level his skills.

Nobody worry about getting a 4 star cover, if you're "lucky" enough to get one eventually it's just going to be taking up space because there's no way you're leveling that thing unless you drop serious cash. My 4 star wolverine is good but he needs 200 iap coin things for one skill level, or I could drop 150 for a miniscule chance at getting another of his covers.

Believe it or not I just rolled another 150 and got a second skill for him. :aaa: Either I'm astoundingly lucky today or he's not that rare for a legendary drop.

Still doesn't solve my problem of not having a third Avenger for the pvp event though, haha.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

epitasis posted:

Believe it or not I just rolled another 150 and got a second skill for him. :aaa: Either I'm astoundingly lucky today or he's not that rare for a legendary drop.

Still doesn't solve my problem of not having a third Avenger for the pvp event though, haha.

Meh you don't need 3 character, my level 24 iron man is capable of destroying people by himself. Course I'm only trying to get up to the Thor comic cover reward and calling it quits.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Meh you don't need 3 character, my level 24 iron man is capable of destroying people by himself. Course I'm only trying to get up to the Thor comic cover reward and calling it quits.

The way I understood it, the thor comic cover isn't from that, it's a separate thing in a couple days.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Trainmonk posted:

The way I understood it, the thor comic cover isn't from that, it's a separate thing in a couple days.
Its also rewarded at certain tiers of the avengers pvp event. You can click on your score within the pvp event to see a list of final rewards as well as the point tier rewards.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

chrisf posted:

Its also rewarded at certain tiers of the avengers pvp event. You can click on your score within the pvp event to see a list of final rewards as well as the point tier rewards.

Oh thanks, that's useful to know.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I made it to 500 and got modern Hawkeye and then when I came back to it an hour later my score had been pummeled down 57 points. I've still got two days to make it to 1000 to get the yellow Thor card.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Trainmonk posted:

There's a Thor cover at 425 points and a Thor cover for finishing between 31-200.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

How everyone doing its the normal story campaign? I'm having a tough time with the oscorp mission. Yelena with 2 spies battles is my roadblock so far.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Reposting here

quote:

Where do I get ... Preliminary List

Juggernaut - Venom #2a, "Kidnapping"

Storm, Classic (blue) - Venom #2b, "The Search is On"

Bagman - Oscorp #2

Iron Man (blue) - Avenger's 150 points Get this, you WANT this

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, better. Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign is currently free for iOS and Android.
:sigh: I'm guessing they won't release it for the pc?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If I already have Thor from the slot machine, will the reward on the 13th give me a skill slot for him, or is it similar to modern/classic storm?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Emron posted:

If I already have Thor from the slot machine, will the reward on the 13th give me a skill slot for him, or is it similar to modern/classic storm?

It will give you a skill point for him, I dunno if it will be the same skill you already have or not.

This is assuming there's only one Thor costume at the moment, which I think is the case.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

epitasis posted:

It will give you a skill point for him, I dunno if it will be the same skill you already have or not.

This is assuming there's only one Thor costume at the moment, which I think is the case.

There are 2 Thors right now. A 2 star, which is the one we will likely get. And a 3 star which is IAP only so far.

Edit: Thor and venom can also be unlocked in the oscorp chapter. But you need to beat that yelena fight with the 2 spies to unlock those fights.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

There's a colored tab on the covers that show what skill they have.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Shwqa posted:

There are 2 Thors right now. A 2 star, which is the one we will likely get. And a 3 star which is IAP only so far.

Edit: Thor and venom can also be unlocked in the oscorp chapter. But you need to beat that yelena fight with the 2 spies to unlock those fights.

If you mean the 3-star Dark Avengers Thor ("Ragnarok"), the evil versions of the Avengers count as different heroes. If there's another 3-star version then, oh.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I've only seen Thor and Ragnarok so far, and I can't imagine they'd give out the latter.

Just battling through the oscorp chapter, and I have to say Classic Storm is definitely my most useful character, even though iron man tends to do the heavy lifting. Her blue stun once levelled up is absurdly good since the ~300 dmg hits all enemies along with the 2 turn stun, and the green lightning bolt has a nice tendency to smash enemy tiles. Any time I have to face pyros without her it gets messy...

Also for those of you who rolled 4-star wolverine early on, he's a massive help through early stages due to high green/red/yellow attacks and his hp is nice for tanking, but once iron man hits his 20s you will probably bench wolverine entirely for better utility characters like storm or black widow.

Also always sell Hawkeye.

Anyone played with any Black chars other than Venom btw? Seems to be by far the least common power colour.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

bubbapook posted:

I've only seen Thor and Ragnarok so far, and I can't imagine they'd give out the latter.

Just battling through the oscorp chapter, and I have to say Classic Storm is definitely my most useful character, even though iron man tends to do the heavy lifting. Her blue stun once levelled up is absurdly good since the ~300 dmg hits all enemies along with the 2 turn stun, and the green lightning bolt has a nice tendency to smash enemy tiles. Any time I have to face pyros without her it gets messy...

Also for those of you who rolled 4-star wolverine early on, he's a massive help through early stages due to high green/red/yellow attacks and his hp is nice for tanking, but once iron man hits his 20s you will probably bench wolverine entirely for better utility characters like storm or black widow.

Also always sell Hawkeye.

Anyone played with any Black chars other than Venom btw? Seems to be by far the least common power colour.

Your right about ragnarok, I thought he was Thor. My mistake

Yes storm is awesome. My problem though is I leveled her so high that she puts herself out front too much and she is very fragile.

Yes always sell hawkeye, I don't know why they nerfed him, he was already really bad when his skill cost 14 red or 11 whatever the other color skill was.

And I got lucky with IAP and got 3 purple darken. Darken is purely purple and dark. But he is bit of an odd duck, he has no active skills. His purple skill make a damage+ tile any time green tiles get matched. It add about 5 damage a tile, and only get stronger as he level. And it makes 2 tiles if you can get the skill to level 20. His dark is pretty meh. He heals if there are more than 7 yellow tile or otherwise he takes damage.

Loki is the only other purple dark character currently. And he just suffered a massive nerf, so he is useless right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The grey wolverine is a loving monster. His damage easily outpaces iron man, and he clears 3 rows with it at the same time.