Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Kharmakazy posted:

They must have established different leader boards then. I have ~790 and the guy in the #2 spot has ~490

They split it into groups of 200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Kharmakazy posted:

They must have established different leader boards then. I have ~790 and the guy in the #2 spot has ~490

Yeah the one star weekend tournament is bracketed into groups of 200.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I wonder if that will fix most of the problems? I got to rank 6 barely trying, but who knows how it will work tomorrow.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Somehow I suspect I'm not facing a legit player here.

Somehow I don't think I'd be winning this fight.

EDIT: However, normal PVP is well worth exploiting. The point threshold awards mostly suck, but every fight you win is worth 70 / 140 ISOs no matter who you're fighting, and by shopping around for opponents you can clean house time after time. I'm using a nondescript team of Iron Man 26 / Storm Classic 17 / Thor 16 and I'm closing in on the top 100 ranks.

It helps that even a very good enemy team is severely gimped by being on defense. They can't use boosts, they can't target specific opponents like a human can, and they use the brain-dead CPU AI that has no idea what to prioritize.

delfin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 20, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

It helps that even a very good enemy team is severely gimped by being on defense. They can't use boosts, they can't target specific opponents like a human can, and they use the brain-dead CPU AI that has no idea what to prioritize.

It's really wacky how random the AI is. The AI will usually match four over an obvious match five and free turn. Sometimes you get ridiculous things though like when Storm's board shuffle ability yielded enough greens and free turns to let the AI use the ability five times in a row giving the AI 35+ of every color and stunning my entire team. (I still won due to a major level disparity, but it was incredibly close)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Holy crap, pulled X-Force Wolverine (yellow) from a heroic draw this morning. Just in terms of HP and damage output, even at level 1 (where I'm assuming he'll remain), that dude is a BEAST. My missions literally jumped down two difficulty levels. If I could only get his strike tiles power....

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BGrifter posted:

It's really wacky how random the AI is. The AI will usually match four over an obvious match five and free turn. Sometimes you get ridiculous things though like when Storm's board shuffle ability yielded enough greens and free turns to let the AI use the ability five times in a row giving the AI 35+ of every color and stunning my entire team. (I still won due to a major level disparity, but it was incredibly close)

This exact thing happened to me just now, except I lost. The enemy team took out my Storm and Venom from full hp in 1 turn, then chain stunned my Iron Man for more than 15 turns...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Funktor posted:

Holy crap, pulled X-Force Wolverine (yellow) from a heroic draw this morning. Just in terms of HP and damage output, even at level 1 (where I'm assuming he'll remain), that dude is a BEAST. My missions literally jumped down two difficulty levels. If I could only get his strike tiles power....

What does it take to upgrade a single skill of that guy? I'm curious.

EDIT: Got my poo poo kicked in by a team where everyone was 10 levels below mine and dropped from 910 to 880. I'm not going to get the 100 hero points (or Yelow Spidey), am I?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

What does it take to upgrade a single skill of that guy? I'm curious.

EDIT: Got my poo poo kicked in by a team where everyone was 10 levels below mine and dropped from 910 to 880. I'm not going to get the 100 hero points (or Yelow Spidey), am I?

200 coins for skill level 2. 300 for level 3. Over 1k I so to level him up.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Every time I get very high I start being farmed hard by guys twice my score.
I've just been saving up skill gains for free heals on leveling. I figured I'd blow them all right before the end to see if I could jump up the ranks high enough to grab a decent prize.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Got this game a few days ago and it's strangely addictive, to the point where I rather grab the tablet than play with KSP's new update. I do have a couple of questions:
1- this thing murders my N7 2013's battery, is it normal? It doesn't seem normal.
2- I grabbed one of those heroic lotteries for 150 coins and got a dude called The Hood. First of all, I could swear this guy was DC; second, he's never going past level 1, is he? It appears even a few real world bucks wouldn't do much good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

seravid posted:

Got this game a few days ago and it's strangely addictive, to the point where I rather grab the tablet than play with KSP's new update. I do have a couple of questions:
1- this thing murders my N7 2013's battery, is it normal? It doesn't seem normal.
2- I grabbed one of those heroic lotteries for 150 coins and got a dude called The Hood. First of all, I could swear this guy was DC; second, he's never going past level 1, is he? It appears even a few real world bucks wouldn't do much good.

It murders batteries.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hood_(comics)

You're thinking of the Red Hood for DC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the 150 random hero lottery is a bit too random to rely on. If you want a specific hero, wait for a particular event that gives out only that hero on sale, i.e. last week you had Thor and Storm available on their own, this weekend its uh... villains and hero 1 stars I guess.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Is Bullseye worth holding onto? Hawkeye is bad enough and even though he's two-stars he's not great.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So there's a DC Red Hood and a Marvel Hood-that-happens-to-be-red? Alright.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, the 150 random hero lottery is a bit too random to rely on. If you want a specific hero, wait for a particular event that gives out only that hero on sale, i.e. last week you had Thor and Storm available on their own, this weekend its uh... villains and hero 1 stars I guess.

You can get Captain America in the 1-star event. I'm almost in my bracket's top 10 :getin:

Getting specific heroes isn't my issue, though, it's leveling the characters after you get them. Even Thor (who I got for free for no apparent reason) - a 2-star hero - is stuck at level 4 while Iron Man and co. are all in their twenties.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm starting to rethink Daken. I've been coming up against him in the Dark Avengers chapter and each of his strike tiles adds 30 damage, and you get one per combo. That really started to add up quickly. Still, he's at a ridiculous level and I'd have to get tons of daken cards to be that effective.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

God I hate him in that chapter when he gets green special tile goons, forcing you to keep inflating the poo poo out of his regular attacks just to avoid blowing up rows. :argh:

seravid posted:

So there's a DC Red Hood and a Marvel Hood-that-happens-to-be-red? Alright.
The Hood is secretly a DC character, which you can tell from the boring 'costume' to the increasingly inflated powers that went from invisible-while-he-holds-his-breath to transforming into a demon and resurrecting the dead.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Come on, Tournament Dudes. I just want to get far enough to get a sweet Blue Iron Man cover. You can quit attacking me when I'm not looking until then, ok? :sigh:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SynthOrange posted:

I'm starting to rethink Daken. I've been coming up against him in the Dark Avengers chapter and each of his strike tiles adds 30 damage, and you get one per combo. That really started to add up quickly. Still, he's at a ridiculous level and I'd have to get tons of daken cards to be that effective.

I like Daken, but you can only level his abilities up to 5 before you start needing to pay coins.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Some big changes coming up
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72

Looks pretty good: Easier to level up 2 & 3 star characters so people will actually use them, reducing # of covers required from 20 to 5 to get rid of the intermediate ability upgrade steps, no more escalating ability upgrade costs, daily rewards, less "20 ISO-8" rewards from farming.

On the other hand they are removing the ability to upgrade 1 star cards with ISO-8.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Jeez. That means that a lot of people are going to log in when it happens and the levels of all their mans is going to be completely different.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fuuuuuuck. And I've been grinding stuff trying to get my 20th Repulsor Blast.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That sounds baller as gently caress, but I now feel like I should grind out the Prologue covers as soon as possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wonder if they're going to reset the Prologue missions because of deleted covers. Sometimes its just not worth keeping some covers around.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Noice I hit 500 points in the current tourney and got 500 gold thingies

I'm also 28th in my group so I'll be getting a captain america. Shame I couldn't get back up higher cause the higher ones have more than one color.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

I'm also 28th in my group so I'll be getting a captain america. Shame I couldn't get back up higher cause the higher ones have more than one color.

You jerk, you got me all excited til I checked the reward. It's 100 gold for 500 points. :argh:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

You jerk, you got me all excited til I checked the reward. It's 100 gold for 500 points. :argh:

Crap I read it backwards. I also fooled myself.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is a strange weekend event. It really depends on what bracket you're in as to whether you'll get anything -- I'm using a really mediocre 1* team and just hit #5 (522 points) in my group. Doubt I'll hang on for the Blue-Red Cap but top 50 should be pretty easy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The top 10 in my group ranges from 686 to 826 so I kinda hit a plateau where everyone has teams with stuff like level 30 Iron Man that would overpower me. There's just not enough time left to level anything up or work up to more prizes now.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm not even trying in this tournament and I'm 9th in my bracket with 2 hours left. My team just got beat to a pulp though in my last fight- only Iron Man survived with a mighty 56 health, so I may be done for the evening..

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

It really bugs me that the last hours of the tournament are in the dead of night. I can't defend my rank AND sleep.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

I hit 600 and got a Hawkeye :woop:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

I hit 600 and got a Hawkeye :woop:

He's worth his weight in gold.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I did those 150 gold random rolls and got two Bagman. What the gently caress kind of bullshit card is this and why are his skills so loving terrible?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As I said before, I think the random 150g rolls are way too random to expect anything out of them.

I really do want a Spider Man classic so I can do my own healing stuff, but I'll wait for a Spidey event to improve my odds.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My pool of 200 people is really tough. Basically everyone has level 20+ iron man.

e: Come on, it happened again. I had a full HP Storm, Venom, and 400 HP Iron Man up against 200 HP each Black Widow and Storm. Black Widow started a combo that lasted over 1 minute (I know because my phone screen turns off after 1 minute) which led to all 3 of my team being stunned for several turns, and I died without being able to do any more damage at all.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 21, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick is having a level 30+ Iron Man :getin:

(Iron Man seriously needs nerfing or other people's damage skills need buffing because he is the cornerstone of every single team I see)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Well, my Iron Man is level 26, so I can compete but I can't usually just grind out 5 wins in a row without healing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The trick is having a level 30+ Iron Man :getin:

(Iron Man seriously needs nerfing or other people's damage skills need buffing because he is the cornerstone of every single team I see)

This is kind of like complaining that too many people use their starter pokemon against the Elite 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I was rank 2, then suddenly I'm rank 9, now I've completely lost connection and can't get back in with 5 minutes left. Ugh.