Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Er... Ever play Guacamelee?

Depiction of luchadors in video games in general? Or Saints row 3 in particular.

Depiction in kids shows like Lucha Libre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
That's good, depiction of Luchadors in pop culture.

I was going to ask if he ever felt restricted, being a "face", and if he had any matches he really cherished (questions from Skippy Granola)

Edit: Also, Mr. Maltose, send me an email willya? I want to get the magical realism bit lined up for the future!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 20, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ask him if he thinks Lucha Libre benefits from interacting with American and Japanese wrestling styles, and if so in what ways.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Does he imagine himself more like an athlete, or more like a super hero?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Who is his greatest "rival" and why?

The Marquis
Apr 19, 2013
Ask if he could provide some opinions on differences and/or similarities in social status and community perception regarding Luchadors and wrestlers in other cultures and particularly their status as role models for younger generations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

J.theYellow posted:

Does he imagine himself more like an athlete, or more like a super hero?

Ask him what it's like being a real life superhero.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ask him how the Luchador persona affects his home life and relationships - does he feel he can hang up the mask at home or in privacy, or does it follow him always?

Also don't bother asking him about games; I once saw a NOLF fansite get an interview like this with the actress who played Kate Archer. They asked her a host of questions about her favourite FPSes and it came over as horrendously awkward.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Also don't bother asking him about games; I once saw a NOLF fansite get an interview like this with the actress who played Kate Archer. They asked her a host of questions about her favourite FPSes and it came over as horrendously awkward.

Yeah, I could be very wrong, but I'm going to assume that The Blue Demon, Jr. doesn't really play Steam games.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Ask him with the growing population of Mexican Americans is Lucha going to become more mainstream in the American wrestling crowd and how he feels about ex AAA guy(and Chicago very own) Samuray del Sol aka Octagòn Jr getting a shot in WWE's NXT as Kalisto. Also for the normal question what would be his Ultimate dream match up from any wrestler from any era.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
More verification for this taking place in fantasy Mexico: The eagle eating a snake symbol you see around in the towns (and a large version of in video 1 at 30:09 minutes in) is the coat of arms of mexico.

I'm also getting a 'Monster Loves You!' vibe from the right side poster ('The attack of the lemons' or something?) at 31:25.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
The game audio is too loud versus the commentary, particularly in the last two videos.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Got it, I'll adjust accordingly in future videos.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Aw, man, I was really hoping the Olmec Headbutt was the key to defeating the uh... big monster guy. Really wanted to see Juan bash his skull against that thing to victory.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, the Olmec's headbutt IS useful, and soon!

In fact, we need it to get to....

THE FIRST CAVERNA DEL POLLO ARENA!

There are three of them, accessible from the mines in the bottom-right corner of Santa Luchita.

Each one is a big pit, and you traverse the pit from top to bottom, through a series of increasingly-difficult fights. Beating them all gets you SWEET REWARDS. It's recommended to level up your luchador as much as you can before going in after them.

Note that you can cheese the arena by going as the pollo luchador, and waiting between screens for all your health to replenish every time.

I recorded this in the standard luchador costume, to make sure nothing I showed you was costume-specific.

This first one isn't so bad - to make sure you've got a good mastery of the game so far, make sure you can beat it. The third one is pretty rough, and it's QUITE rough if you decide to do it with the skeleton suit, on hard mode (I'll show that off when we get there!)

Edit: Thanks to all of your yammering valuable comments, I've split the bonus sections into culture and bonus. We STILL don't have enough powers to really go crazy with bonuses, so this is the only real bonus thing open to us before getting more information and progressing the story.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Scribbleykins posted:

More verification for this taking place in fantasy Mexico: The eagle eating a snake symbol you see around in the towns (and a large version of in video 1 at 30:09 minutes in) is the coat of arms of mexico.

I'm also getting a 'Monster Loves You!' vibe from the right side poster ('The attack of the lemons' or something?) at 31:25.

It IS a reference, but definitely to something besides Monster Loves You!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That arena seemed like a fun diversion. I am consistently surprised at tough the yellow skeletons seem to be, though. How can you tell what is and what isn't a fire attack? I mean, the armadillo's attacks don't look any different than the little Aztec warrior guys.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, fire attacks are weird.

In... uh, one case that I can think of, it is literally fire. Other than that you just look for attacks where the monster turns red.

Except for the Aluxes, apparently!

Honestly, it's this weird tacked-on bit of gameplay, and I have no idea what balance issue it corrected.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I know I already asked in PSP, but I figured it'd be worth repeating and possibly expanding:

Have any other film offers headed his way since Mil Mascaras Resurrection? If the opportunity presented itself, would he star in a movie? Or is Blue Demon Jr. strictly an in-ring guy? Does he feel there'd even be a role for the traditional lucha film nowadays?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Attack of the Lemons = Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, I assume.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
If I remember right, the basic Alux doesn't have the fire attack, just two slightly different looking normals.

It's the later ones that do have a fire attack, but honestly at the point that they show up, you either have more important things to deal with, are slaughtering them too fast to notice, or about to get hurt.

Also, I think that the lord of all Man-Goats Uay Chivo has combination Metroid-Mocktroid statues. You know, to be equally off brad as the Choozos.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like seeing the different faces pop up as your combo counter improves. Is the goat-sage the last one or can you build your combo even higher?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything in this thread is fabulous and wonderful.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks, GI!

SO the next bro-op is recording. It should have been done yesterday, but I forgot that

videofull = audiodub(videofull, broopaudio)

is not the same thing as

audiodub(videofull, broopaudio)

because I'm a big fat dummy.

BUT!

To distract you from my glaring incompetence, here are some pix!

First off, while I was unable to locate papel picado at any of the five specifically Mexican groceries in the town where I live (and, in fact, only one kind of crusty old guy even really knew what they were, though that's theoretically also attributable to my awful accent).

I WAS able to find some at, uh, party city. Draw what conclusions from that you will. ANYWAY, I still had some left over from when a Mexican store around here sold some, so here they are!

BEHOLD THEIR BOUNTY. Dirt cheap, very cool, and going to look AWESOME strung up across my house.

Also, I mentioned before that my family actually collected alejibres, so if you were wondering what they look like...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Tag Team 2!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Miz almost seems put off by your exuberance at times. You two are probably my favorite co-commentators though. Great interplay!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, keep in mind that he knows I'm gunning for his painful death at all times!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Bacter posted:

Well, keep in mind that he knows I'm gunning for his painful death at all times!

Is this childish revenge for Amulets and Armor? I'm disappointed in you, Herr Bacter, I thought you the bigger man. :colbert:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I am, and that's the point. I'm the large beefshield, which Mr. Cacklewizard stands behind, while I'm CRUSHED

CRUSHED BY BOULDERS

CRUSHED AND BURNED AND BOILED ALIVE OVER AND OVER AND

hem.

No, it's cool. I hope he does great!

(also it's a preemptive strike for what will surely happen to me in Baldur's Gate)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 29, 2013

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, there is something a little... off about Mzbundifund and I's commentary this time, I can't lie to you guys.

Because it's so hilarious.

Mega points if anybody can guess!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

Incidentally, there is something a little... off about Mzbundifund and I's commentary this time, I can't lie to you guys.

Well, you've got -me- stumped! Also, what's this Baldur's Gate thing you mentioned? I have a special love for the commentaries of you two, and if there's anything else going on somewhere, I'd very much like to hear of it!

Oh, and at around 9:30, on a poster in the background of the Pojo Dojo, is that a Mega Man energi tank I spy?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
You know, a giant chicken calling us our on our poor disguise feels like some sort of weird inverted Chicken Boo situation.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY

Bacter posted:

You lost the original audio for whatever reason and recreated it after the fact?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Half right!

But heck, close enough for MAD CREDITS.

Bundifund's audio is original, mine original was all garbled to goodness - it was moooostly understandable, but certainly not prime-time ready. So I went back and re-recorded my audio the best I could.

Don't worry goons: Bundifund was still off-put by my exuberance in the original!

Also, you won't have to go anywhere else for Baldur's Gate - Bundifund's got a video of it up in the sandcastle, and he's only waiting for his overwhelming ennui to recede for a few hours before posting. We found out that I'd never played any of the game, original or 2, and hadn't seen any LPs, so it seemed like an excellent choice.

I picked the name Bactorc, and I couldn't be happier.

Scribbleykins posted:

Oh, and at around 9:30, on a poster in the background of the Pojo Dojo, is that a Mega Man energi tank I spy?

GOOD FOR POINTS. I know there's at LEAST one reference in Santa Luchita that nobody's caught yet. It's subtle!

FH_Meta posted:

If I remember right, the basic Alux doesn't have the fire attack, just two slightly different looking normals.

It's the later ones that do have a fire attack, but honestly at the point that they show up, you either have more important things to deal with, are slaughtering them too fast to notice, or about to get hurt.

Also, I think that the lord of all Man-Goats Uay Chivo has combination Metroid-Mocktroid statues. You know, to be equally off brad as the Choozos.

Awesome on both counts - I actually noticed SOME Alux'ob (that's the plural, promise!) that flashed red, and some that flashed blue. I guess the red-flashers are the fire attacks? Either way, you're right, even with the fire attack, they don't scale to your powers later on.

Glazius posted:

I like seeing the different faces pop up as your combo counter improves. Is the goat-sage the last one or can you build your combo even higher?

There's at least a rooster that shows up at a higher combo - I'll have to see how big of one I can get in an arena later!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 29, 2013

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
At 0:24, there's a picture that looks like Wario.
At 7:11, there's a Megaman pattern in the wall.
At 25:00, there's a space invader, and he shows up elsewhere in the temple.
The statue at 19:50 looks a lot like the Kaepora Gaebora statues that served as warp points in Majora's Mask.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Lesse. Going off the top of my head, and ignoring the ones that I know can't be seen yet, there's DK but he's not in Santa Luchita technically, the Me Gusta face in the Guavas, the Churro spy, 8-bit Mario, Viva Pinata (too lazy to enye), the Cast- er Casa Crashers, Grumpy Cat, and a few more that I can't remember if we can technically see them yet or not.

Most of these have probably been said.

EDIT: Oh, and the alien that's reference a game whose name I never remember, so I call him Green Alien Ironsword Earth Boss.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

I picked the name Bactorc, and I couldn't be happier.

GOOD FOR POINTS.

Glorious! Both of those things.

Incidentally, I'm deeply disappointed spotting the Mexico coat of arms and settling the 'is this fantasy mexico' dispute once and for all hasn't earned me any mad thingamabobs. I ended your life of trial and doubt, Bacter! And what do I get? Not even sweet nothings!

That others had already more or less settled the issue on 'clever' 'incidental' evidence should have no bearing on my much more concrete proof. :colbert:

BoltR
Jun 3, 2008
I don't know if it's on purpose, but you have some weird privacy stuff going on with your videos in the thread. Some of them appear in your channel, and some of them you need direct links to. Makes finding them on my phone a hassle!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, thats my fault. I usually keep "must have the link" on until I watch it once live, musta forgotten to take them off.

Edit: Alright, everything that's supposed to be open is now open!

Also, I've kept this as an unlisted, but this is the first for-real bug I've seen in the game!

Uh...

(I've seen one more since this - it only really seems to come with throws in variable terrain)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Scribbleykins posted:

Incidentally, I'm deeply disappointed spotting the Mexico coat of arms and settling the 'is this fantasy mexico' dispute once and for all hasn't earned me any mad thingamabobs. I ended your life of trial and doubt, Bacter! And what do I get? Not even sweet nothings!

That others had already more or less settled the issue on 'clever' 'incidental' evidence should have no bearing on my much more concrete proof. :colbert:

I've taken your advice to heart, and it caused me NO end of trouble, when I thought I'd stumbled into a foreign consulate today, after seeing a guy with a Dominican Republic flag hanging out of the back of his car.

Congrats to FH_Meta for spotting the subtle 8-bit mario pattern in the wall in Santa Luchita!

NextTime000 posted:

You know, a giant chicken calling us our on our poor disguise feels like some sort of weird inverted Chicken Boo situation.

Yeah, we never SAID we were actually trying to pass ourselves off as a chicken. Although...

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 30, 2013

• Locked thread