Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

At 121 it had more new mons than gen II and IV, so it falls right in the middle.

How are you getting 121 anyways?

There are 72 wholly new pokemon, with 28 Mega evos in X/Y (100) and 20 megas in ORAS (120)

Unless we're counting Hoopa Unbound, or the unreleased Az Floette, or Cosplay-Chu as a separate pokemon? If we do that though, Gen IV pulls ahead quite a bit with all its variants (Spike-eared Pichu, Rotom Formes, Giratina Origin, Shaymin Sky Form, Wormadams)

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Palossand controls human adults, making them build a sand castle that provides camouflage and also raises its defensive abilities. Unlike Sandygast, if Palossand loses some of the sand from its body, it can restore itself on its own. When moving about in search of prey, the shovel on top of Palossand’s head revolves. It’s said that the shovel could be serving as some kind of radar.

quote:

Crabrawler has a personality that really hates to lose, and it’s driven not only to aim for a higher position than its fellows in terms of social standing, but literally to aim for a higher position in the landscape. Perhaps as a result, it’s sometimes found clinging to tall people or to the walls of buildings! If you try to remove one against its will, you’ll be met with a sound punch.

Crabrawler’s favorite food is Berries. It punches the trunks of trees to give the branches a good shake and knock any ripe Berries to the ground so it can feast! Many Crabrawler may gather around a tree, but only the one that emerges victorious in battle against all the others receives the privilege of eating the ripe Berries.

Crabrawler uses its claws to protect its face and belly while getting in close to an opponent to throw punches. Its punches are powerful enough to split tree trunks! Crabrawler’s pincers are sometimes torn off during its bouts—and they are said to be delicious.

quote:

Stufful’s cute appearance and movements—plus the fluffy feel of its fur—all combine to make it super popular!

This Pokémon may have a small body, but its strength is extraordinary. Receiving one of its powerful hits without being prepared for it can bring down even well-trained Pokémon!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I just realized Solgaleo's name references Galileo, double dipping on "Leo" being both for the astronomer and for being a lion. How do they come up with this, but their trash pokemon is literally just Trash + Rubbish = Trubbish.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I love that it has one eyelid dropping like it's perpetually punch drunk and Stufful being a walking plush toy is great. I'm a little disappointed it isn't Fairy/Fighting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

less laughter posted:

Gen VI had 120+ new mons, so...

I said i don't want a repeat of XY, you can read, right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

How are you getting 121 anyways?

There are 72 wholly new pokemon, with 28 Mega evos in X/Y (100) and 20 megas in ORAS (120)

Unless we're counting Hoopa Unbound, or the unreleased Az Florette, or Cosplay-Chu as a separate pokemon? If we do that though, Gen IV pulls ahead quite a bit with all its variants.

I do count Hoopa Unbound, but not the others. You just forgot to count the primals.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I said i don't want a repeat of XY, you can read, right?

XY had about the same amount of new mons as GS, so still pretty decent.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

surely vivillon's 20 patterns count

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

I do count Hoopa Unbound, but not the others. You just forgot to count the primals.

Then the number would be 123 not 121 :psyduck:

less laughter posted:

XY had about the same amount of new mons as GS, so still pretty decent.

It had exactly the same and GS is super low.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Then the number would be 123 not 121 :psyduck:

Even better!

123 is a fine, fine number.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gen 2 and 6, both top tier gens design wise. i guess it's true what they say, about quality over quantity

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

anyway my alohan team of six is top notch so the rest could all be as bad as the fire dragon turtle for all i care

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

TBH I've been pretty disappointed with the gen 7 designs so far. They aren't bad and they've got some cool ideas among them (Sandcastle) but not of them have stood out to me as "oh my god I need that on my team" like Honedge, Tyrantrum, Pangoro and Hawlucha.

Uh?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i've never had the means or motivation to transfer pokes between generations, i've always just started each game fresh.

i do still have my old gen 1, 2 and 4 cartridges around somewhere. probably the only ones i'd want to transfer are maybe my mewtwo and my squad of like 8 level 100 squirtles that i have on my Blue save file for some reason.

There is a high likelihood of the save battery being dead at this point so those Squirtle and that Mewtwo are probably long gone now.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ah, thanks for reminding me of the third not great gen 7 design.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Gen II introduced 100, Gen III introduced 135, Gen IV introduced 106, Gen V introduced 156, Gen VI introduced 72. No, Megas should not count.

I'm actually hoping for around 120 new Pokemon. I imagine the reason Nintendo is releasing a steady stream of new Pokemon is several-fold:
1. In this modern internet age, maintaining hype over six months or so requires a steady stream of information. Nintendo has observed other game companies employing this strategy to keep hype up, and has finally caught on to how to do so.
2. revealing new Pokemon is the flashiest way of getting attention for the games
3. revealing new Pokemon allows them to reveal information about the game without spoiling important gameplay aspects that they don't want people to know about until post-release.

therefore, I expect we'll know a full half of the Pokedex in advance.

we'll probably see the starters' second forms, the island guardian of the second island, Rockruff's evolved form, prevo of Drampa, the evolved forms of Pikipek (we know it evolves twice), at least one new Ice type and one new Dark type (not counting Alola forms). We'll also see a few more Alola forms. With the Alola forms I expect we'll be up to 150~ "new" Pokemon. The Alola Dex will probably be around 300-350.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
This is the official list of bad Gen VII pokes:

Bewear
Lunala
Solgaleo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Alolan forms don't count as new Pokemon either.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Zore posted:

This is the official list of bad Gen VII pokes:

Bewear
Lunala
Solgaleo

Bewear owns, get the gently caress out

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Here are the gens ranked by most to least new mons introduced:

Gen V
Gen I
Gen III
Gen VI
Gen IV
Gen II

But like oddium said: quality over quantity. Gen II had some of the greatest designs in the series and gen V, while mostly brilliant, had some real stinkers. So more doesn't inherently mean better.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sounds like a trip to the beach in Alola is a success if you manage to escape with your life.

Johnny Joestar posted:

coconut crabs are cool and good

I am glad they finally added some to pokemon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spatula City posted:

Gen II introduced 100, Gen III introduced 135, Gen IV introduced 106, Gen V introduced 156, Gen VI introduced 72. No, Megas should not count.

Actually Mega's should completely count if new evolution count in previous generations because they're New Designs with New Stats, usually new abilities, even new typings and entirely new gimmicks from the non-mega form.

Sorry you're wrong.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Stufful is a good friend.

Red pandas are one of my favourite animals, so I definitely want one on my team.

I hope they make a lot of merchandise of it. It's way too cute not too.

Hopefully, it shows up prominently in the anime.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like the typing, but it kinda just seems like this gen's "pikachu knockoff" (ironically, there's a literal knockoff pikachu this gen) - I fear it's not going to have an evo and just be a kinda of weak pokemon?

I hope this gen adds an electric/fire, fire/grass, and fire/water pokemon. Rotom and that one legendary don't really cut it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
This is the official list of all bad pokes from old gens;

Jynx
Farfetch'd

Aipom
Girafarig
Quilfish
Hitmontop
Miltank

Pelliper
Masquerain
Volbeat
Illumise

Bibarel
Floatzel
Ambipom
Purugly
Rhyperior
Darkrai

Samurott
Watchog
Stoutland
Pansage
Simisage
Panpour
Simipous
Pansear
Simisear
Timburr
Gurdurr
COnkeldurr
Basculin
Zoroark
Gothietelle
TOrnadus
THunderous
LAndorus

Diggersby
Florges
Slurpuff
Barbaracle
SYLVEON
Aromatisse
Mega-Audino
Mega-Charizard X
Mega-Mewtwo X
Mega-Garchomp
Mega-Glalie
Mega-Latios
Mega-Latias

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Bewear owns, get the gently caress out

Bewear is bad.

Stufful is good tho

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love every pokemon except any pokemon that beats me in pokemon showdown.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

get this: if gamefreak hadn't created pokemon until gen 6 and included every pokemon that exists now in this theoretical gen 1, it would have a staggering 721 pokemon, easily the largest

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Bewear is just Stufful on its hind legs, how can anyone like one but not the other

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Sun and Moon will have 279 new pokemon, bringing the total to a nice even 1000.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Aside from darkrai that list was fine till you got to Sylveon and the Megas

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I love every pokemon except any pokemon that beats me in pokemon showdown.

i hate all pokemon too

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Bewear is just Stufful on its hind legs, how can anyone like one but not the other

Stufful looks like a toy and has a silly tag on its butt. Its cute.

Bewear is huge, looks fake and gross and stands on its hind legs.

Small+Quadruped=good, Huge+Biped=bad

Also one has cute animations and one looks like they decapitated a toy and grafted its head on a statue of a bear.

Nodoze posted:

Aside from darkrai that list was fine till you got to Sylveon and the Megas

Sylveon is the worst pokemon in existence

every time I am reminded of it I shudder a little bit because huge blue eyes and flesh ribbons are the grossest things.

Only Diggersby nears it in badness, and honestly they drag down the average of Gen VI by themselves.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ok, it's time for the thread to be locked and a new one made.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

This is the official list of all bad pokes from old gens;

Jynx
Farfetch'd

Aipom
Girafarig
Quilfish
Hitmontop
Miltank

Pelliper
Masquerain
Volbeat
Illumise

Bibarel
Floatzel
Ambipom
Purugly
Rhyperior
Darkrai

Samurott
Watchog
Stoutland
Pansage
Simisage
Panpour
Simipous
Pansear
Simisear
Timburr
Gurdurr
COnkeldurr
Basculin
Zoroark
Gothietelle
TOrnadus
THunderous
LAndorus

Diggersby
Florges
Slurpuff
Barbaracle
SYLVEON
Aromatisse
Mega-Audino
Mega-Charizard X
Mega-Mewtwo X
Mega-Garchomp
Mega-Glalie
Mega-Latios
Mega-Latias

Die.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Zore posted:

Sylveon is the worst pokemon in existence

every time I am reminded of it I shudder a little bit because huge blue eyes and flesh ribbons are the grossest things.

Only Diggersby nears it in badness, and honestly they drag down the average of Gen VI by themselves.

Sylveon is awesome and one of the best eeveelutions, you are crazy. Idk who the worst pokemon is but definitely not sylveon. It's probably trubbish

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

trubbish is cute, you're thinking of garbador

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

mabels big day posted:

Ok, it's time for the thread to be locked and a new one made.

:yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Sylveon is awesome and one of the best eeveelutions, you are crazy. Idk who the worst pokemon is but definitely not sylveon. It's probably trubbish

Trubbish is in the top tier of all pokemon.

:colbert:

People who like creepy flesh ribbons are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Diggersby is not a real Pokemon name come on stop bullshitting me

• Locked thread