Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Digital Speedo, ho!

Loose red wire with blade connector is for the sensor, red wire across the top is +12 and black is ground, obviously.

The Coupe GT on the left is not mine, and its for sale. Its a friends who needed his AC fixed as well as the Oil Pressure Sender checked.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its hot in Georgia. I need AC.

Reinstalled the R-12 AC Compressor, had to modify the bracket to clear the oil return line for the turbocharger. It fits well, Got the belt put on and looks great. Going to have to drop the bracket to put the bolt back in, but its being held in temporarily by two bolts so that I could test fit everything.

In the meantime, I picked up a ghetto 110v AC Stick Welder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIl6ad0GeQ&feature=youtu.be

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The quest for Air Conditioning: Part 2!

First had to remove the ventilation hood to get to the evaporator to run new high and low lines

Our donor evaporator. We're stealing his low side and high side hard line

Reinstalled drier, high side hardline, and high side to condenser line.

Compressor properly mounted now. Here's where we run into issues: The compressor is fairly close to the turbo inlet and intake line, so I'm going to have to get a custom suction hose that'll go to the low side return from the evaporate.

You can see the low side line next to the O2 sensor.

Till tomorrow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hose guy screwed me, so I said screw it and finished the AC rebuild with the stock hoses. Had to lose the intake piping and filter for now, but added a 90 degree elbow to redirect turbo inlet to the hood so it'll avoid pulling in road debris. Still a tight fight with the suction hose, but it'll do until I can get the hose modified.

Added the high side adapter for my AC manifold.

Compressor suction side hose. You can see how close it cuts to the turbo outlet hose

I had to cut off the rear adjuster to clear the oil return line. No big deal, there is both a adjuster bolt and adjuster on the front to help keep tension.

You can see the suction line running alongside the turbo piping.

AC does work and is cold, but only on the center vent. I'll have to diagnose further later. Audi has a weird way of running the evaporator into the cabin: There is a hood over the cabin fan with a vacuum actuated door that closes. The Evaporator is mounted in the cabin with a hole into the hood, so that when the door closes, it's pulling cabin air through the evaporator into the cabin fan. So instead of having the evaporator mounted in front of the fan outlet, its pulling cabin air over it. Odd. But it works.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Hose guy screwed me, so I said screw it and finished the AC rebuild with the stock hoses. Had to lose the intake piping and filter for now, but added a 90 degree elbow to redirect turbo inlet to the hood so it'll avoid pulling in road debris. Still a tight fight with the suction hose, but it'll do until I can get the hose modified.

Added the high side adapter for my AC manifold.

Compressor suction side hose. You can see how close it cuts to the turbo outlet hose

I had to cut off the rear adjuster to clear the oil return line. No big deal, there is both a adjuster bolt and adjuster on the front to help keep tension.

You can see the suction line running alongside the turbo piping.

AC does work and is cold, but only on the center vent. I'll have to diagnose further later. Audi has a weird way of running the evaporator into the cabin: There is a hood over the cabin fan with a vacuum actuated door that closes. The Evaporator is mounted in the cabin with a hole into the hood, so that when the door closes, it's pulling cabin air through the evaporator into the cabin fan. So instead of having the evaporator mounted in front of the fan outlet, its pulling cabin air over it. Odd. But it works.

IIRC, that's standard. My Rabbit would only blow "cold" (read 2 degrees below ambient) air from the center vent due to the way the ducting is plumbed, as you said. From what I remember this was even in the owners manual and is a design "feature". Volkswagen. :downs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

charliemonster42 posted:

IIRC, that's standard. My Rabbit would only blow "cold" (read 2 degrees below ambient) air from the center vent due to the way the ducting is plumbed, as you said. From what I remember this was even in the owners manual and is a design "feature". Volkswagen. :downs:

Found out part of the issue was the heater blend door was stuck open. If I opened all the 'hot' vents, I get great AC from the center vents.

Anyways, I'm probably going to pause my Audi projects for a while now. I'm at a stopping point, Audi's all run, I need an intercooler and to re-wire the Megasquirt for the 4kQ, and I'm pretty much at a stand still.

See you guys in a few months.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just wanted to say that you've done a bang up job and look forward to more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Just wanted to say that you've done a bang up job and look forward to more.

I lied a bit. Working on adding a MAF to the 4k Quattro to test compared to MAP based fueling

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Added MAF hookup as well as a 5v VREF line with a filter circuit. It occupies the Processor port normally used by a secondary MAP sensor that is not present stock.

Also changed out the red LEDs for 2 blues and a white. More visible in daylight.

Going to use the Pierburg MAF out of my TDI which has not been plugged in for years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I really don't know how I am going to make an intercooler work in this car.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Why not go the way of the s1 graphic in your previous post? A big ol' banana splitter with two scoops of extra lumens on top!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

CommieGIR posted:

2 smaller ones?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

2 smaller ones?

Space is an issue.

A couple of possibilities:
1. Air to Water intercooler, would allow me to have an inline intercooler with a radiator mounted in front of the motor.
2. Modify the front bracket to make space for an air-to-air intercooler. Hose size and length is an issue
3. Overhead intercooler with fans that pulls through the hood a'la Subaru style.

As it is, I checked the oil yesterday, and the car is just running too rich without the intercooler, its blackened the oil already, so its gotta stay parked till I work it out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You can get some nice oem air to water setups with some clever junkyard work. I would lean towards that and use water-meth on top if you're still seeing heat problems under like sustained use.

The Subaru top mount doesn't have puller fans. In fact on the Gorester I'm pretty sure they're hurting heat soak. It has a hood scoop with some relatively simple internal ductwork, which is awesome until you stop for a light or like aerodynamics. Maybe a backward cowl induction hood scoop would help?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can get some nice oem air to water setups with some clever junkyard work. I would lean towards that and use water-meth on top if you're still seeing heat problems under like sustained use.

The Subaru top mount doesn't have puller fans. In fact on the Gorester I'm pretty sure they're hurting heat soak. It has a hood scoop with some relatively simple internal ductwork, which is awesome until you stop for a light or like aerodynamics. Maybe a backward cowl induction hood scoop would help?

Tell me more about this 'clever junkyard work'

But yeah, I knew the Subaru top mounted IC didn't have fans. It really should.

I meant more using the space where the air box used to be to side mount an IC in a side/top mount config (drafting from the hood and blowing out the bottom).

Right now, major issue is running rich. I need more air, or in this case, denser air. I also need to get the PCV system working properly, crankcase ventilation is an issue right now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 13, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think some of the All-Trac Turbos (and GT-Fours) came with air-water intercoolers, as did some of the JDM-market Legacy turbos. That last one probably isn't junkyard achievable but I've seen them on offer.

You could probably build your own system if you really wanted to, but it's probably not worth it: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Building-a-waterair-intercooler&A=113105

FrozenBoost has some cheap pumps and stuff that have worked out OK in the K-car and DSM community. Haven't tried their kits.

As for air-air, the Krauts have had many interesting packaging choices over the years. I know that the super/turbo Minis and VWs also have small side-mount air-air intercoolers. Maybe a windshield washer sprayer would help there as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think some of the All-Trac Turbos (and GT-Fours) came with air-water intercoolers, as did some of the JDM-market Legacy turbos. That last one probably isn't junkyard achievable but I've seen them on offer.

You could probably build your own system if you really wanted to, but it's probably not worth it: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Building-a-waterair-intercooler&A=113105

FrozenBoost has some cheap pumps and stuff that have worked out OK in the K-car and DSM community. Haven't tried their kits.

As for air-air, the Krauts have had many interesting packaging choices over the years. I know that the super/turbo Minis and VWs also have small side-mount air-air intercoolers. Maybe a windshield washer sprayer would help there as well.

Yeah, my TDI has a small side mount intercooler. It'd be figuring out where to cram it and having the inlet and outlet facing the right way. Naturally, that 5 cylinder eats up a lot of engine bay space that would be used for air ducting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Initial pick n' pull finds.

Gonna go back this weekend.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My buddy and I did a class project on his Forester XT using the windshield washer bottle and pump and just plumbed it into spray nozzles directly above the intercooler. Because we're nerds and it was an engineering class, we used an Atmega PLC to monitor air intake temperature and some other parameters to turn it on automagically. He said it made a really big difference in around town driving ie killing heat soak at traffic lights and such.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

charliemonster42 posted:

My buddy and I did a class project on his Forester XT using the windshield washer bottle and pump and just plumbed it into spray nozzles directly above the intercooler. Because we're nerds and it was an engineering class, we used an Atmega PLC to monitor air intake temperature and some other parameters to turn it on automagically. He said it made a really big difference in around town driving ie killing heat soak at traffic lights and such.

I have a friend's methanol sprayer pump, so there is that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I may have to give up cars as a hobby. Things just got really tight financially.

Here's hoping.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

I may have to give up cars as a hobby. Things just got really tight financially.

Here's hoping.

Oh no! Stay frosty, friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, the K26 on the Audi blew its rear oil seal as well. So I have zero turbos to tune/test with now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm going to start removing the Megasquirt wiring from the 4k Quattro Rally Car, mainly to re-route it, and also to check the wiring for issues.

In the mean time, I've transplanted the AC system to the Black 4k Quattro, which required some repairs to be made to the AC hard line:

Works like a charm.

I'm frankly kind of frustrated with Megasquirt, and I've not had much luck getting help other than witty comebacks from tuners who assume if I'm going to be using Megasquirt I should know how to do it on my own. I'm probably going to rethink the Megasquirt approach and switch to the stock 3B wiring harness and computer....

....which means I have to find one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Removed the Megasquirt and Wiring Harness from the Audi for troubleshooting.

I may end up going with a stock 3B ECU and Wiring Harness if I can't work out the issues.

Negative, Positive, and Sensor Ground clusters

Engine bay is a lot cleaner without it, if it does go back in it'll be cleaner.

Harness is a mess. Will have to work on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
GoFundMe for a Turbodiesel conversion. https://www.gofundme.com/2d3t9d6k?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=body_photo&utm_campaign=upd_n

Looking at an extremely rare 2.5l TDI AEL motor from Europe, but its a bolt in swap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I did a thing. A terrible thing:

This is a 1993 Audi Ur S4 with a 5 Cylinder AAN Turbocharged 20v motor.

I'm swapping it for my black 4kQ. Straight swap.

Needs some exhaust work, and that gaudy intercooler needs to be swapped for something more...discrete, needs the bumper and bumper mounts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ur S4 isn't happening. Seller backed out last minute.

BUT, did get two refurbished turbochargers. So I can start playing with the white Audi again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What are your MS issues? I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If you're the first or one of the first doing it on your specific car it's going to be tough to sort out but still probably doable. If it's just tune related then I'm sure you can get it sorted. That part isn't really too car specific if everything else is working.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

What are your MS issues? I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If you're the first or one of the first doing it on your specific car it's going to be tough to sort out but still probably doable. If it's just tune related then I'm sure you can get it sorted. That part isn't really too car specific if everything else is working.

It was bucking under acceleration when the engine was warmed up. Hoping its just swapped wiring.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Commie, you know that green UR S4 has been for sale in Carrollton for like 2-3 years. I think you lucked out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Commie, you know that green UR S4 has been for sale in Carrollton for like 2-3 years. I think you lucked out.

Didn't really matter if it was in 'great' condition, I was planning on refurbishing the engine/drivetrain and maybe re-homing it into a different Audi. I already met the guy and looked over the car, yeah its in shabby shape, but so is the black Audi 4k Quattro he wanted to trade for.

That or rallying it if it was unsalvageable. A running AAN is nothing to waste.

But he isn't returning my calls or texts, so anyways, its his loss :shrug:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New turbocharger on the white Audi. Now to start dealing with Megasquirt/Wiring issues.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 24, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Went over to a friends to help alleviate their moving pains by taking a bunch of 1980's Audi parts off their hands.

Also:

And changed the belts on the Audi 90 Quattro:

That's not good. AC belt. Glad I changed it.

These belts all looked OEM :psyduck:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did you build the test board and verify that everything with the wiring/board is good? Sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread if it's there. Otherwise you can play with accel enrichment once you have your base spark/fuel map decent. Do you have det cans or anything to do timing optimization?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Did you build the test board and verify that everything with the wiring/board is good? Sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread if it's there. Otherwise you can play with accel enrichment once you have your base spark/fuel map decent. Do you have det cans or anything to do timing optimization?

I don't have the test board, I could assemble it for sure, but the Megasquirt actually came from Sockington already assembled.
I suspect there is other issues, however. Probably related to my poorly made wiring harness.

I also have to setup a crankcase breather.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I am now drowning in B2 Audi parts. An acquaintance moved out of town and had to unload his collection.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Was driving the 90 home yesterday, smelled coolant and then temps started to rise, settled down about 2/3rd on the gauge, thankfully only got hot.

Opened the hood to find the coolant reservoir return nipple had snapped off and had lost cooling system pressure. Thankfully, the B3 did not change much from the B2 Audis (80/90/4000), so an Audi 4000 tank was a direct fit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got a line on a 3B wiring harness and ECU. Gonna go that route instead of Megasquirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Shame about the s4, I just had a training sesh with a guy that has a '93 with 278k miles on the original motor and it ran like a dream, although the rest of the car was falling apart.

Also, a customer brought in his 95 s6 in and told me it was for sale. 140k miles and 9/10 shape. Too bad he didn't reply to any of my texts.

Anyway keep on wrenchin looking forward to more!

• Locked thread