Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CommieGIR posted:

Got a line on a 3B wiring harness and ECU. Gonna go that route instead of Megasquirt.

:( Sucks you couldn't get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

:( Sucks you couldn't get it to work.

Even if I had, it seems like going the OEM route opens out into better options like VEMs that'll get me more power with less fuss.

I mean, I got it to work, sort of. Just was a pain in the rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gonna start tagging the wiring today, and figuring out what can be reasonable dropped (i.e. I don't need most of the internal wiring, just the feeds for the gauges and the +12 and GND for the ECU and the Fuel Pump Relay wire.)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Like putting a hextapus in a pickle jar!

At what point did VAG start chassis locking (?) their ECUs? I was warned off of swapping a likely-faulty W8 ECU for a new one because of this kinda thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

At what point did VAG start chassis locking (?) their ECUs? I was warned off of swapping a likely-faulty W8 ECU for a new one because of this kinda thing.

Chassis locked how so? It seems like people swap ECUs and harnesses pretty frequently, so you'll have to explain.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Chassis locked how so? It seems like people swap ECUs and harnesses pretty frequently, so you'll have to explain.
A Guy On The Forums LAF told me the reason my 2002 W8's ECU was so cheap on Ebay ($30 shipped) was because after I hooked it all up, I would have to bring it to a dealership and have them do some kinda voodoo magic. I was scared :ohdear:

edited to provide link to LAF's warning of immobilizers

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

A Guy On The Forums LAF told me the reason my 2002 W8's ECU was so cheap on Ebay ($30 shipped) was because after I hooked it all up, I would have to bring it to a dealership and have them do some kinda voodoo magic. I was scared :ohdear:

edited to provide link to LAF's warning of immobilizers

A quick Google search holds up LAF's warning.

I also saw this, taken with a grain of salt:

quote:

Hmmm. You can use galletto and a dumb dongle to copy your ECU to the used one. It requires a boot reset to do it, but it can be done on a bench with a power supply or I think you can also do in the car with an other program which name escapes me.

The member you want to reach out to is @k0mpresd. Ian knows this isht inside and out. Helped me clone/flash my platooning ECUs both on my bench and in the car eventually with a dongle he provided.

And per Ross Tech:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

quote:

Many 2002 and newer Model Year vehicles sold in the North American Region (NAR) have Immobilizer 3 and there are other Rest of World (RoW) Vehicles with Immobilizer 3 as well. Use VCDS to Select the Instrument Cluster (or Address 25 - Immobilizer in Vehicles with a separate Immobilizer Control Module) and look in the Extra Field. You should see BOTH a 14 digit Immobilizer ID number and ALSO a 17 digit VIN number in the Extra fields like this: WVZKB58001H231169 VWZ7Z0W0648696. The first 17-digit string is the VIN and the second 14-digit string in the Immobilizer ID. Keys that have been previously matched to a different Immobilizer 3 System cannot be reused with another one (which has a different Immobilizer ID). In some cases, you'll need to check in the Engine Control Module in Measuring Value Block (MVB) 081 to see the VIN and Immobilizer ID. If in doubt, check the Factory Repair Manual for your specific vehicle.

Key Matching (through Instrument Cluster)
Key Matching (through separate Control Module)
Key Matching (through Kessy)
Engine Control Unit (ECU) Swapping
Injection Pump Swapping (V6 TDI only)
Immobilizer Control Module Swapping (integrated in Instrument Cluster)
Immobilizer III Immobilizer Swapping (Separate)|Immobilizer Control Module Swapping (integrated in separate Control Module)
Immobilizer Control Module Swapping (integrated in Kessy)
Immobilizer III Measuring Blocks (Ross-Tech Website)

So it appears there are ways around it, but its mostly just doing the proper 'Adaptation' for the ECU to the car.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 13, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

scuz posted:

Late 90s I think, maybe early 00s. It's just tied in with the engine I think but I'd have to ask my dad since he was the one that managed to get around it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Okay, so, initial harness info:

Its basically an AAN harness, minus the multiple ignition coils

http://12v.org/urs/AANEngineHarnessPassengerSideV2.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, the city has ticketed one of my vehicles in my driveway for being a 'Junk Vehicle'.

Said vehicle is registered, on tires, everything is on it. Its insured. Its tagged. But either way, I need to rush up the wiring harness install so I can drive the car to court and rub it in their faces.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
See this, this right here is how Libertarians get a foothold.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

So, the city has ticketed one of my vehicles in my driveway for being a 'Junk Vehicle'.

Said vehicle is registered, on tires, everything is on it. Its insured. Its tagged. But either way, I need to rush up the wiring harness install so I can drive the car to court and rub it in their faces.

You're not in unincorporated Gwinnett up that way?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

See this, this right here is how Libertarians get a foothold.

Hell no.

SuperDucky posted:

You're not in unincorporated Gwinnett up that way?

No, but the issue is the vehicle is running, tagged, and licensed. Junk Vehicle is a really loose interpretation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The only answer to this slight is to make it mechanically perfect and then mad max the poo poo out of the body

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

8ender posted:

The only answer to this slight is to make it mechanically perfect and then mad max the poo poo out of the body

With at least 7 turbos poking out of the hood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I plan to get it running well enough to drive it to court on the day in question and park it right up front.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So let's get started on this wiring harness swap.

First things first: ID'ing the wiring out of the current Bosch Jettronic ECU:

The main things we need are the Fuel Pump Relay and the +12v and Grounds. The top wire labelled spare fuse is the main ECU power, and then you have the 'ignition start' power line for cranking.

And the Bosch Motronic 3B ECU pinout:

http://www.s2central.com/motronic_pinout_3B.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Okay, got the basics sorted, +12v and Grounds and Fuel Pump control sorted.

Time it put it in the car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Harness is in the car, working on Fuse/Relay box setup.

Things I'm missing:
1 Knock Sensor
N75 Valve
Carbon Canister and Solenoid

Things I've ordered:
MAF
Ignition Coil

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
MAF, Ignition Coil, and some intake piping will arrive tommorrow. Gotta go by the junkyard and find a couple more hoses and a recirculation valve for the intake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/7JzxmLjF9EQ

Learned a couple things today:

I have a bad Engine Speed VR sensor, had to borrow the one from my 90 Quattro
I also need a relay from a 90 Quattro, the 3B relay I have does not work.

I got the MAF today as well, going to work on core support and adding the intercooler tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/3w81GbfsxZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just a note I'm going to start a new thread, since half the images are broken on this one.

• Locked thread