Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Video is private?

Try now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Works. That smile was one of a very happy man.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Congrats! It runs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Congrats! It runs.

Waiting on the Audi headgasket to arrive, and we'll have her running sometime this week, video of that as well!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

And we're in business with the Audi!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A quick boost with the Audi firing back into life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pd1TZJs06k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Audi is fired up and out of the garage, gotta play with the timing a bit, but she is moving under her own power and the clutch is working!.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is good news.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad to see this thread back, Commie. I suppose being from CO you're enjoying this heat wave we're having in ATL right now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Glad to see this thread back, Commie. I suppose being from CO you're enjoying this heat wave we're having in ATL right now?

Oh hell yes, it feels great to have cold weather. Saddly, no snow.

I had to disassemble the drivers side Macpherson strut last night, as it was popping, found out the cap hadn't seated on the spring properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fixed the popping strut, made some home made collars to keep the strut retainer from butting the strut tower when its at full extension. Previous Owner had removed the collars and threw away a bunch of the suspension parts.

I found a stray ground that was loose, coming off the intake that was freaking out the idle and fuel regulator.

Now it sounds nice and smooth.

Might have a faulty thermostat, the engine warms but doesn't go over barely above low temp. Also, looks like the center diff lock vacuum nipple has fractured, as I can lock the diff but it won't unlock it, and the vacuum line is loose and there is no nipple to be found.

Stage II Planning
I've made some contacts for the turbo manifold, downpipe, and turbo. I currently do not have access to my 10 valve turbo motor in Wyoming, so I have to buy another to install into the current motor.

I'm pricing the roll cage parts out now, and have a TIG certified friend who will be helping me install, hopefully in spring.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 5, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Update: 20v Turbo motor acquired. Pictures to follow

On the downside: CIS fuel distributor poo poo the bed when I drove down for guard weekend, ended up having to trailer the car home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I might have gotten a 3B for cheap without even realizing it was a 3B.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
What's so good about a 3B?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
20 valves versus 10.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Timmy Cruise posted:

20 valves versus 10.

And since it was already turbocharged, it has piston oil squirters and basically everything I'll need

You can easily boost the motor to 300HP stock.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 12, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How much pressure can you put on a stock block before you start blowing poo poo apart?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much pressure can you put on a stock block before you start blowing poo poo apart?

Its a KKK K24, I'm told 17 PSI is the max 'efficient' boost of it. Around 300HP is the max it can probably push with the stock turbo, and 450 HP is the max HP the engine can handle before you risk bending a connecting rod or breaking a headbolt. I plan to put in ARP headstuds down the road.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
300 hp in a fairly light car, that thing is going to fly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

300 hp in a fairly light car, that thing is going to fly.

Stock HP was 220(?) for the 3B in a way heavier 200.

So quick calculations:

1986 Audi 4000 Quattro Curb weight: 2842 lbs @ 115 HP (81 HP per US Ton)
1989 Audi 200 Quattro Curb weight: 3351 lbs @ 217 HP (131 HP per US Ton)

1986 Audi 4000 Quattro w/ 3B 20v: 2842 lbs @ 217 HP (153 HP per US Ton)

So yeah, there is going to be a significant performance improvement right off the bat.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 12, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah.... 300 HP is going to really be a kick in the rear end.

There is a huge line between a 250HP car and a 300HP car, for some reason, when you hit that mark, things become way better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah.... 300 HP is going to really be a kick in the rear end.

There is a huge line between a 250HP car and a 300HP car, for some reason, when you hit that mark, things become way better.

Yeah, and really 300HP is a high target, I don't even need that much. 250HP would be easily achievable and would already make the car a rocket.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pulled the Megasquirt 1 ECU out of the basement today along with the wiring harness. Time to get it ready for Saturday!

Thank goodness I labelled everything...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its heeeeerrrreeee.....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Teardown time!

First things first: This engine has NOT been run in a LONG time, you can tell, the camshafts look brand new and have only the lightest coating of oil, the engine has great compression, and the wiring on the knock sensors is all dry rotted out.

Otherwise, so far so good, I'm considering pulling the head just to make sure everything is all good. Weirdest part: The head is a 20v, but the engine code identifies it as an MC, which was a 10v turbo block, not a 20v.

Makes me a little bit curious if it has the 20v pistons or if someone just tried to mix and match a 10v block with a 20v head. However, the features of the block match up with a 20v 3B from 1991.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 30, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats the cutest timing belt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, a little bad news: The block that this came with is actually an MC block, and the compression ratio is a little too low for the 20v to really function.

The good news is the NG motor that is already in the 4k Quattro will work just fine with the 20v head once I swap out pistons. It lacks piston oil squirters, but extra cooling can make up for that.

It should work out to around 8.3:1 CR, the MC will barely make 7.3:1 CR, but the NG with its 10:1 stock compression should eek out comparable CR to the stock 3B block.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You could run low compression and boost it +30 psi ;)

Could you just have the head or block skimmed and run a thinner head gasket?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

You could run low compression and boost it +30 psi ;)

Could you just have the head or block skimmed and run a thinner head gasket?

Possibly, but it makes more sense to just use the block that is in the car that has the correct CR anyways and has been vouched for by others who have built such hybrids.

I'll probably save the MC block for parts, but at this point running the NG seems like the better (and easier from a buildup standpoint) plan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

And the help:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Started disassembling the engine bay to do the swap, meanwhile the oil pan for the 20v is at the machine shop to get some bolts drilled out.

First days progress

Just from a brief comparison, its looking more and more likely that the battery is going to have to move to the trunk or the rear seat.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 30, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 5000 had its battery under the rear seat, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Just make sure to get the special low-height battery so you don't end up like me shorting out a seat on the battery whenever you go over a bump.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Your intake is cute. 3/2 is just amusing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 5000 had its battery under the rear seat, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Just make sure to get the special low-height battery so you don't end up like me shorting out a seat on the battery whenever you go over a bump.

I'll probably go trunk with it for simplicity and safety.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your intake is cute. 3/2 is just amusing.

Yes, its mainly because the odd intake/exhaust valve pattern.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Started disassembling the engine bay to do the swap, meanwhile the oil pan for the 20v is at the machine shop to get some bolts drilled out.

First days progress

Love the Little Tikes parts hauler there, bet it works well as a parts washer too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I love the 4KQ so much. I bought one for $1300, drove it 2-3 years only changing the oil, and then sold it for $1300. Car had 240,000 miles when I got rid of it and still ran well. I don't think I ever drove a car better suited for winter weather.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

I love the 4KQ so much. I bought one for $1300, drove it 2-3 years only changing the oil, and then sold it for $1300. Car had 240,000 miles when I got rid of it and still ran well. I don't think I ever drove a car better suited for winter weather.

I love it, and I'd like to find a second one or another Coupe GT.

Update time!

Took all of 30 minutes.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
drat that's a tall engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

drat that's a tall engine.