Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have a TDI in my shop sitting on an engine stand for a future project and a lot of people comment on its tallness. VWs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

I have a TDI in my shop sitting on an engine stand for a future project and a lot of people comment on its tallness. VWs are weird.

Yeah, they are unusually tall when seated straight up.

Can't really tell with the photo, but its immensely cleaner than it was.

I'm thinking of using a different intercooler, possibly one from a Volvo S70

That way it'll sit in front of my radiator and I won't have to cut to make space in front of the motor.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did you check out a mk5 intercooler yet? They are pretty thin and tall and might fit around your radiator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Did you check out a mk5 intercooler yet? They are pretty thin and tall and might fit around your radiator.

I have not, I wanted one that sat in front of the radiator, it'll mean longer intake piping but I'll make it work.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea the mk5 one sits in front like the condensor for the a/c. Ive seen them in swaps and I hope one will fit in the scirocco.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea the mk5 one sits in front like the condensor for the a/c. Ive seen them in swaps and I hope one will fit in the scirocco.

Well, don't forget, the radiator on this guy sits to the side instead of in front of the motor like most cars.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh poo poo, thats right. It might be too big in that case.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If you do go with that intercooler keep in mind it was the same on 850s as well from 1994 through 2000 and you shouldn't have to pay more than $50 for it. I've thrown away perfectly good ones, they never seem to go bad and every FWD turbo Volvo had one. You can also buy it aftermarket with a thicker core and aluminum end tanks if you want to spend $300-$400 for even better cooling down the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

If you do go with that intercooler keep in mind it was the same on 850s as well from 1994 through 2000 and you shouldn't have to pay more than $50 for it. I've thrown away perfectly good ones, they never seem to go bad and every FWD turbo Volvo had one. You can also buy it aftermarket with a thicker core and aluminum end tanks if you want to spend $300-$400 for even better cooling down the road.

I paid $30 ;)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New intercooler arrived!

On the left is the stock 10v Turbo intercooler, the right is the Volvo intercooler, its actually just slightly larger than the Audi radiator. Perfect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gotta modify the distributor from single window to five window, easiest way will be to cut the old distributor short and swap gears.

Pics with updates to follow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Had to pull the motor again, wrong size pilot bearing.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
So given all this progress I suppose you didn't make it up for SoWo, commie?
Actually, since you're a transplant have you heard of it?
Huge vw/audi show an hour north in a Bavarian themed town called Helen. Straight shot off 985 and state roads.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Huge vw/audi show an hour north in a Bavarian themed town called Helen. Straight shot off 985 and state roads.

I have not heard of it yet, I should check it out.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Coworker of mine is driving back from SoWo right now.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

Coworker of mine is driving back from SoWo right now.

This was my first year but I definitely plan on going back, it was a blast. Apparently some of the rowdier VAG guys threw some beers on and heckled a few Civics that were rolling down the strip but I didn't have any trouble in either my e46 or e30 other than BBS elitists pointing out that my wheels are fake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
German apologists heading to a beer hall in mass groups amidst a nationalistic background and proceeding to heap abuse upon an easily-identified minority?

I see no problem with this. Good luck putsching your cars home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

German apologists heading to a beer hall in mass groups amidst a nationalistic background and proceeding to heap abuse upon an easily-identified minority?

Its all part of the Master Race, as foreseen by the ASE.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not much in the way of content, but I still love the thread and I can't wait to see this thing fly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

This was my first year but I definitely plan on going back, it was a blast. Apparently some of the rowdier VAG guys threw some beers on and heckled a few Civics that were rolling down the strip but I didn't have any trouble in either my e46 or e30 other than BBS elitists pointing out that my wheels are fake.

My coworker was driving the bagged turbo beetle with the purple anodized wheels, don't know if you saw it

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

My coworker was driving the bagged turbo beetle with the purple anodized wheels, don't know if you saw it

No, the only Beetle of note was the 3rd gen that a pretty well-done quick patina.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

New pilot bearing installed. Motor goes back in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Okay, so we've got a problem.

The flywheel is too tall for the 3B block, preventing the engine from seating on the transmission.

The options are:

Different flywheel

or

Swap the 3B head to the NG block that was originally in the engine and lose piston oil cooling, but it will still work.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Do you really want piston oil squirters?
If so, could you tap the block and install them? We do this quite a bit in the Volvo world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Do you really want piston oil squirters?
If so, could you tap the block and install them? We do this quite a bit in the Volvo world.

Its not so much that I know I can do them, but actually doing it.

However, I could simply install a lower temperature thermostat and larger oil cooler to make up for the loss.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
While we're stuck waiting for a flywheel and clutch, the oil cooling parts arrived.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate arrived:

Just for comparison, compare the first photo showing the width of the old flywheel versus this one:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

.....and she's in!

Have some rest old 10v motor...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Distributor mods, moving the 5 window distributor rotor to the new style distributor and gear.

Fuel rail is reinstalled, intake back on, gotta cut the throttle cable shorter, and get fuel lines.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I thought the 10v turbo only came in the 200 FWD, not the quattro.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Is that the stock turbo setup?
Looks sweet and you're getting close!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That's a stock setup, I'm curious to what type of fuel injection he's gonna use and how well it will perform.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

I thought the 10v turbo only came in the 200 FWD, not the quattro.

Nope, it came in the Avant Quattro and the Ur-Quattro, and shares all the same features as the standard non-turbo 10v.

No. 6 posted:

That's a stock setup, I'm curious to what type of fuel injection he's gonna use and how well it will perform.

Yep, its a stock 3B motor setup, as for fuel injection, we're working with the stock 3B fuel injection for starters, and we'll work from there. The fuel pump system for the CIS will actually support it just fine for initial purposes.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

So stock is externally gated?
That's awesome!
My BMW is the same way. Germans sure like to over engineer things. Looks like yours would be easy to mod for more boost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

So stock is externally gated?
That's awesome!
My BMW is the same way. Germans sure like to over engineer things. Looks like yours would be easy to mod for more boost.

Yup, you just change the wastegate spring, and its modded. I think the KKK on here is good to about 20 psi

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Be careful with those old KKK turbos. Porsche forums and the BMW turbo guys keep talking about how easy it is to damage one by over revving it.

This is what I have to deal with:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/300947474416

I need to either adapt the tial guts I have, or adapt the tiny tial MVS as that is the only thing that will fit between the manifold and strut tower. You've got it easy ;)

Are you running megasquirt on this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Be careful with those old KKK turbos. Porsche forums and the BMW turbo guys keep talking about how easy it is to damage one by over revving it.

This is what I have to deal with:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/300947474416

I need to either adapt the tial guts I have, or adapt the tiny tial MVS as that is the only thing that will fit between the manifold and strut tower. You've got it easy ;)

Are you running megasquirt on this?

Oh yes, I'm well aware, and I don't plan on going much further outside of stock boost with the KKK.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Aren't the old KKKs decently reliable with in spec?

I know the 944 guys don't have much trouble with the turbos themselves... Its all the other poo poo. But god drat, when the boost builds that thing is going to FLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Aren't the old KKKs decently reliable with in spec?

I know the 944 guys don't have much trouble with the turbos themselves... Its all the other poo poo. But god drat, when the boost builds that thing is going to FLY.

As long as you stay within spec, they are reliable as hell. Push them past that, and they tend to give up quickly.

Some bad news, the Volvo intercooler will not fit between the motor and the frame, sop we'll have to seek another solution, for now the turbo will hook directly to the intake and we'll look at a better intercooling solution later.

Test fit the radiator:

Gotta trim the throttle cable, and start wiring.

• Locked thread