Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Took apart and double checked the wiring. Its good, and cleaned it up/re-ran it. Cut the throttle cable to size.

Now, so close to being done, I'm waiting on the downpipe so I have to make a test pipe out of the downpipe that came with the car so I can run the O2 sensor:

I've got a downpipe lined up, but I can't afford it right now and I just need to test the Megasquirt/tune the Air Fuel mixture. Unfortunately, I ruined the last of my cut off disks so I'll have to pick up more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Test pipe completed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:feelsgood:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Better put a shield in front of the CV Boot... That'd be a real hot mess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

It's only for initial setup for now. But yeah, need to pipe it away from that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Problem temporary rectified:

And then....

Screw you turbo stud. I'll do it with 3 for now.

Guys, I have one more sensor to wire up (coolant sensor) and then the Megasquirt is wired. And we can start putting the radiator back in and re-attatch the distributor wires.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Coolant sensor is wired in, time to start re-installing accessories and the radiator.

Also discovered I'm going to have to change the power steering pump bracket.

Thankfully, there is one already available: http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=132&osCsid=6c1354aaddaebb137bfa85dc60e85e0d

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Current Megasquirt issues:
TPS isn't working at all or creeps up very slowly, suspect the TPS itself. Tried calibrating.

Intake Temp Sensor report 170 Degrees Fahrenheit. That's not right.

Coolant temp reports 78 degrees. Close but it's around 68 Ambient...so no.

Gotta figure out how to set it up for coil trigger and batch fire and we're on our way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well. TPS issue was the TPS and Idle Valve wires were MIS labelled :doh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Megasquirt Adventures, part Deux:

Realized I had to make an internal mod to support triggering/tach from the Coil -. Done. Had to add a 36v Zenner Diode in reverse in D2

Verified Fuel map, done.
Verified Megasquirt is sending a good signal to injectors via an LED and a resistor. Its pulsing the injectors on crank, as it should. Verified engine functionality with some starting fluid, it cranked and caught briefly without issue.

Leaves me with:
Either I have a bad fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, or bad injectors.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 4, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Polarity sensative Injectors? Say it ain't so!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3gZISoOUV8

We're in business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, the engine is running, things left to do:

Fix/Isolate Idle Valve (not working)
Fix/Isolate O2 Sensor (not working)
Reinstall Brakes, install new rotors
Get Intake Piping
Take it to an exhaust shop to have the downpipe finished and connected to the main exhaust.

Injector issues turned out to be the injectors were just jammed shut from age. After tapping each lightly, they work great.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
It's probably worth fixing/replacing the idle valve on the 3B, but fwiw I have had excellent results using the "cracked open throttle body with adjustment screw" trick using megasquirt.

Keep up the good work. As a fellow 20v audi owner I love to see this thread progress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alabamarama posted:

It's probably worth fixing/replacing the idle valve on the 3B, but fwiw I have had excellent results using the "cracked open throttle body with adjustment screw" trick using megasquirt.

Keep up the good work. As a fellow 20v audi owner I love to see this thread progress.

I tried three different Idle valves without much luck, and I shot the wires so I know it's setup right.

But yeah, I'll probably just adjust the butterfly valve for now or rig the Idle Valve to the Idle switch on the Throttle Position Sensor.

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Is it anything like the one on the AAN? I'll have a look a d see if I have a spare if you still haven't figured it out by next week (I'm out of town at the moment)

I set the butterfly valve on my car running megasquirt so that it idled at 900rpm at ~60°F. When it was ~30°F it would idle at roughly 1000rpm and when it was ~90°F it would idle at roughly 800rpm. I may have those backwards but point is it worked great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can you just pull a PWM idle valve off a junkyard Mercedes or something? That seems to be the go-to fix in the Megasquirt community for incompatible/hard to find idle valves.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If it's that cylindrical Bosch idle valve then good luck getting it to work. Those are completely miserable, I finally gave up and disconnected mine after trying a third one, the engine seems to idle better without it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can you just pull a PWM idle valve off a junkyard Mercedes or something? That seems to be the go-to fix in the Megasquirt community for incompatible/hard to find idle valves.

That is what Megasquirt recommends, and is probably what I'll do for now.

1500quidporsche posted:

If it's that cylindrical Bosch idle valve then good luck getting it to work. Those are completely miserable, I finally gave up and disconnected mine after trying a third one, the engine seems to idle better without it.

Yeah, and I'm not having any luck with it so I'm probably just going to rig the intake to idle.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If you're especially inclined to try a different one to see if the valve itself is the problem some late 90s/early 00s Kias and Hyundais used the exact same one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

If you're especially inclined to try a different one to see if the valve itself is the problem some late 90s/early 00s Kias and Hyundais used the exact same one.

I'm certainly up for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/gB9MlSDdA4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4VjDBg99kE

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sounds pretty good

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What's up with your TPS reporting negative?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What's up with your TPS reporting negative?

I'm suspecting noise, its perfectly zeroed with the engine off, but as soon as I turn the motor on, it drops low. I might isolate the ground for that one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I re-did the distributor timing, it was way advanced, which explains the occassional backfire/cough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKVKs6Pc4WI

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Sounds much happier. Grats on getting the MS working.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Happy tractor! Figure out the TPS yet?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Happy tractor! Figure out the TPS yet?

Nope, even with isolate ground its pulling down to -2 at idle, even with the butterfly flap cracked for idle air.

I may try using a ceramic capacitor to filter the signal to clean it up. I'm unsure if it will do anything, but worth a shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/x781B1jHDvQ

Ran to full operating temperature. Fan kicked on as I hoped and thermostat opened. Looking good. Hope to have it on wheels tomorrow to get the exhaust welded up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Nope, even with isolate ground its pulling down to -2 at idle, even with the butterfly flap cracked for idle air.

I may try using a ceramic capacitor to filter the signal to clean it up. I'm unsure if it will do anything, but worth a shot.

Got a scope capture? Post it, there's plenty of EE's here who might be able to diagnose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Came to tell you to keep posting cool updates, then chuckled at your nerdy license plate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Came to tell you to keep posting cool updates, then chuckled at your nerdy license plate.

:ssh: That's my wifes. But to be fair, I got her into the Dune series.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I might have gotten a 3B for cheap without even realizing it was a 3B.

Just wanted to quote this for looking back at how far we've come.

This engine runs now.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Good job dude!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Installed the custom power steering bracket, works great other than its lower than the old one so the stock v belt is too big.

Reorganized the Ignition wiring so it looks much nicer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

goddamn is that engine pretty far forward.

Looks good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

goddamn is that engine pretty far forward.

It really is:

For comparison, an early Subaru:

The Audi B2/S1/S2 were all notable for being very nose heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

For comparison, an early Subaru:

Why you gotta make me feel old??

The B4 chassis also had the engine entirely forward of the front axle. Not too many easy choices for packaging.

Glad you got it running. I've always had a soft spot for 80s VAG.

• Locked thread